Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raja songs that're MSV'ish (or KVM'ish)

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Raja songs that're MSV'ish (or KVM'ish)

A Raja song - that is a song from his prime period and not current - can easily be identified simply by the way it `sounds'...Small time orchestras used to struggle to mimick and even some ambitious MD's who wanted to sound the same way couldn't master it so easily until they could get sufficient tools / machinery / technicians later on (e.g. Deva's Kizhakku karai).

This was mainly due to his exclusive orchestration / arrangement techniques and probably not sound engg. as he had to use the same facilities that every one had in Chennai, except in rare cases like Priya, Anandhakkummi, Dhalapathi where other facilities were supposedly used.

Now the purpose of this thread is to locate and analyze those songs which didn't sound the typical Raja style but more like that of his predecessors. Especially focussing on what elements made them sound like a MSV or KVM song...

I want to nominate the VJ song `en kalyANa vaibhOgham unnOdu thAn' from azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn, which to me sounds like a typical MSV song. ..is it because it's VJ? Or because of the main melody? Or the traditional style usage of veeNai and percussion? In any case, I don't find much of a typical Raja touch (though this is a lovely song)...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App ...

Sound start !

Before En kalayana vaibogam, I too have the feeling of MSV melody in CHELLA PILLAI SARAVANAN - Penn jenmam - KJY & PS !

and also kurinijimalaril vazindha rasathai - AUA ( forget the preludes & interludes - just the tune )

& Megame thoodhaagavaa !

Finally - Ore naal unai naan nilavil

Again, removing the interludes & preludes, I always get a feeling like listening to a MSV composition !

Now, on En kalyana vaibogam - may be due to the carnatic base , I think its Madhyamavathi ....not sure but which is being used regularly in many songs & this could be one reason

Will catch up with you tomorrow

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raja songs that're MSV'ish (or KVM'ish)

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    I want to nominate the VJ song `en kalyANa vaibhOgham unnOdu thAn' from iLamai oonjalAdukiRadhu, which to me sounds like a typical MSV song. ..is it because it's VJ? Or because of the main melody? Or the traditional style usage of veeNai and percussion? In any case, I don't find much of a typical Raja touch (though this is a lovely song)...
    app_engine, the song was in film "Azhake unnai arathikkiren" not Ilamai oonjaladukirathu.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Sanjeevi, I corrected it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Balaji aka viv_richards (chummA pugundhu `dhool ' paNNareenga)...

Nice thoughts there...

However, I believe the initial push from Raja was to sound entirely different...which can easily be heard in the way annakkiLi / badhrakALi / uRavAdum nenjam etc. sounded. Even when he composed songs on specific rAghams or semi classicals, he used to resort to unique style of instrumental parts...to me chinnakkaNNan azhaikkiRAn or mayilE mayilE do not sound like of any of his predecessors...

OTOH, en kalyANa vaibhOgam sounds like an unadulterated prior era song - probably a deliberate attempt to prove that I can do such songs as well? Or did Sridhar insist that it sounded that way ? (Much like the `nAn siriththAl deepAvaLi' & `nee oru kAdhal sangeedham' in nAyakan which were composed to reflect the time periods and so sound like IR's predecessors...)

It would be interesting to know...

Post Thanks / Like
    And IMHO it's impossible to strip the preludes / interludes etc. from a Raja song to compare to others, as many a time that's where we find the uniqueness.

But kalyANa vaibhOgham can't boast much in those aspects as well...

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to find 'kannan oru kaikuzhanthai' (badhrakali) very MSV-ish. At least the melody part.

Are we counting Annakkili?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    definitely IR has inspired by MSV at his earlier days. But right from Annakkili he has own style ofcourse with MSV inspiration. Then he inspired by Western classicals of Mozarts, etc.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Thirutheril varum silaiyo - Naan Vaazha Vaippaen. But even here, while the prelude doesnt give IR away, the interludes do. The tune alone reminds a lot of MSV, though. However, watching this song is at your own risk - KRV is more 'silai varum ther' than 'theril varum silai'.
    2. Vasantha Kaala Kolangal - Thiagam - minimal orchestration so MSV feel is quite high due to the tune
    Thats what I could think of.

Senior Member Regular Hubber umaramesh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nee kettal naan matten endra solven kanna(again vani)
    Enn ullil engo engum keetham(tune part only).
    Nenjil ulla kayam ondru
    Vazkeya veezam

I am not going into technical aspects, I am saying this by just listening and you will not tell these songs are composed IR.

ramesh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast