Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: australia

Post Thanks / Like

australia

hi everybody,

am in chennai rt now. will be travelling to sydney for a project with my husband and two year old kid. please guide me on the lifestyle in australia and what to pack for australia. will be there for around 1 year in australia.

1.Should i carry mixie/grinder. (i had a butterfly mixee for US and dumped it there when i came back to india)
    2.what special things should i pack for my kid?

any advice please?
    Sehr gut!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, carry the mixer and grinder.
    Do not carry any food or bilogical articles (customs is very strict about this). all indian variety of food
    (even palakkadan mattai arisi) is available here.

All Kids food is available in good quality. Any food material for the kid will not be allowed in anyway.
    all medicine for kids are also available. Prescribed medicines have to be prescribed (not over the counter as in India)

It is cold here now, carry enough woollen clothes and specially for the kid. Until September it would be cold here.

Send me a pm when you are here, I will contact you.

Nothing tough about the lifestyle. Within 2 weeks you can settle in a rented unit. Your Indian driving license is valid for 3 months if you are PR visa or always valid for work-visa.

Please ask specific question for more answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think driving license is valid only for the 1st year on a WP
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tharuna,
    I came two years back to Australia with my husband and my six months old daughter.She is two and a half year old now. We have settled in here. We can bring the child food and medicines but we have to disclose about all the things we are bringing. We can even bring masala varieties and powders. But they must be in a transparent containers or covers with a proper label. You have not to bring any fresh fruits, pickles and all. Any way when we are coming in for the first time the customs will just warn us if we are bringing anything illegal. After the first time they will definitely take some legal actions.

I brought a big basket ful of medicines and formula for my girl.

The warm clothes are necessary for this climate.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must be ready to go to the "Red Channel" queue if you are going to declare things, never try to go thru "Green Channel" queue if you carry medicines food etc and you have not written them down in the declaration form..

I thought I can ease the new-comers from standing in the Red Channel queue (about 30 minutes or more) with a kid..
    that is why, I advised them not to bring any thing..

I generally do not bring in anything..

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct Braandan. We were on the queue for nearly an hour with my sleeping daughter. I didnt bring any stroller. So I had to carry her and some luggages. That was really a terrible experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank u deepapriya and braandan for ur prompt replies.
    what brands of mixee and grinder do u have with u ? i hope its the same 110 volts as in US?
    any idea about the weight restrictions for the luggage. i dont know as of now about which airlines i'll be put up . i jus want an idea about it.
    Sehr gut!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not 110 volts here. It is the same as in India, because I used the one which I bought from India. Just I needed extra was the plug-point adapter (universal adapter) and it started working. Unlike US, switches are just like in India (down for ON and up for OFF). Australia is part of Commonwealth just like India. For driving it is 'Left is right and right is wrong'.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanx once again braandan.
    deepapriya, how about the food for kids over there. can u suggest
    some brand names for a nourishing drink (he takes junior horlicks over here) and some breakfast cereal or something like that. can u jus give me some general details about the food available for kids ?

are the apartments in sydney generally fully furnished?. what are the basic facilities i can expect in any apartment? (am planning to stay somewhere around St.Leonard's suburb). what will be the average cost of a single bedroom apartment?. The company is giving us a hotel accomodation for a single week after which we have to find our own . can i look around for something in the rent-a-home.com.au ?.
    Sehr gut!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tharuna,

For the kids, here is a formula named NAN or you can have some indian items like cerelac, farex in some Indian shops. You can get bottled food items in shoping centres. But all the kid's food items here would be without sugar and salt. My daughter doesn't like that "Chup" taste. So I add little bit sugar or pepper powder in that with salt. You can get different types of breakfast cereals here and also some healthy porridge mixes like oats, wheat, rice etc., In melbourne I am not getting Junior Horlicks but normal horlicks, complan, bournvita and boost. But for that we have to find a good Indian shop first.

I haven't been to Sydney so I am not very sure about that. May be Braandan could help you in that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast