Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Kubrick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stanley Kubrick

Quote Originally Posted by alwarpet_andavan
    Kubrick never directed it though it was co-written by him. After Kubrick's death Spielberg modified the screenplay and directed it from scratch
    The storyline was Kubrick's which was innovative by itself fand he had stared directing the movie and finished a fair part of the screen play as per the newspapers at the time of his death.

Also he didn't hand over anything to Spileberg as suggested by the above poster. After his death , Spielberg took over , completed the screen play , directed and damaged a major portion of the movie in his own "drama queen" fashion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwarpet_andavan
    Kubrick never directed it though it was co-written by him. After Kubrick's death Spielberg modified the screenplay and directed it from scratch
    The storyline was Kubrick's which was innovative by itself fand he had stared directing the movie and finished a fair part of the screen play as per the newspapers at the time of his death.

Also he didn't hand over anything to Spileberg as suggested by the above poster. After his death , Spielberg took over , completed the screen play , directed and damaged a major portion of the movie in his own "drama queen" fashion.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley...ous_completion

2) http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/index2.html
    Quote Originally Posted by article above
    FALSE: The film was shooting concurrently with EWS in a St. Albans property that used to be a bacon factory that Kubrick had bought and converted in to a studio. Although Chris Cunningham, built robots for Kubrick there and it has been reported that parts of Eyes Wide Shut were indeed shot in the converted bacon factory.
    TRUE Contrary to what has been reported here before, Steven Spielberg received over 900 pages of fax-notes from Kubrick, regarding AI. Jan Harlan Kubrick brother in law said to Steve Rose of the Guardian "He and Spielberg spoke all the time," he continues. "I have six or seven years' worth of correspondence between them over AI, which I recently passed over to Spielberg along with over 1,000 drawings." Harlan told Paul Joyce, (3ii) "He said on more than one case - "I think the ideal director for this may be Steven Spielberg. If I do it, it may be too stark. I may emphasise too much the philosophical side.
    Harlan maintains that Kubrick would certainly have returned to AI after Eyes Wide Shut. "He had no intention of dying, I assure you. But at one point, Stanley actually said to Spielberg: 'You would be the best guy to direct this film, I'll be the producer.' I can't tell you whether he would have directed it himself or given it to Spielberg. That was still very much a possibility."
    3) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/678278.stm

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGimp

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished watching Lolita (second time). I dont know but for some reason his movies keep getting better. I wasnt impressed with Lolita the first time and this time I was able to understand a lot of things and it gave me an entirely new dimension on the movie. I would say its extremely underrated at 7.6 in IMDB that is

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kubrick's short film Flying Padre (1951)

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    My question - was DiCaprio's comment on 'garlic slicing' rhetoric or did it feature in any Scorsese's movie?
    That scene was featured in Goodfellas, the Paulie character in jail being so meticulous about slicing garlic thin for his pasta sauce. It's not as intense as De Niro watching the fizzy drink in Taxi Driver.

Coming to the topic, anyone has seen The Killing? Nice heist-goes-wrong movie.

I absoloutely adore Kubrick's cinematography. Of course, the best being 2001. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon, Eyes, Lolita and a those earlier than The Killing.

Here's my ranking a few words about them:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Mindblowing. Thought provoking. Visual treat. Pretty f***ing scary towards the end.

2. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    How you make comedy where at the end the whole world gets blown up. Only Kubrick knows how and you will never see Sellers like this again.

3. The Killing (1956)
    Noir-ish heist go wrong movie with Sterling Hayden givinv a performance fitting his first name. Great, fast paced thriller. Kubrick doing something rather 'mainstream' for his taste.

4. The Shining (1980)
    Am not a stickler for horror and if this is one hell of a horror movie. Who needs CG monster when you have the one and only Jack Nicholson. That old lady in the bathtub scene not only made me jump, but almost puke. Heard King didn't like this version, though.

5. Paths of Glory (1957)
    Early anti-war effort. Great performance from Douglas, brilliant b/w cinematography (walking through the trenches). Definitely not a standard fare to come out of the 50s.

6. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    A kinda followup to Path's of Glory. First part of the movie is pure Kubrick. Second part looks great for a hack and mediocre for Kubrick.

7. Spartacus (1960)
    I felt Douglas gave his worst performance. Really wooden. Nice in a epic-sword and sandals way, but nothing from Kubrick. Olivier was good though (snails and oyster, eh?)

8. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    Great visuals. Overemphasis on phallic symbolism. Otherwise I don't really know what this film is about. I need to revisit it.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    My question - was DiCaprio's comment on 'garlic slicing' rhetoric or did it feature in any Scorsese's movie?
    That scene was featured in Goodfellas, the Paulie character in jail being so meticulous about slicing garlic thin for his pasta sauce. It's not as intense as De Niro watching the fizzy drink in Taxi Driver.
    Thanks Groucho . It's been a real long time since I saw Goodfellas. Should watch again.

Coming to the topic, anyone has seen The Killing? Nice heist-goes-wrong movie.
    Yes, Film Noir at it's best. "The Killing" formed the basis for another movie I love - "The Reservoir Dogs". Tarantino lists Kubrick among his other influences in the making of RD.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Post Thanks / Like
    6. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    A kinda followup to Path's of Glory. First part of the movie is pure Kubrick. Second part looks great for a hack and mediocre for Kubrick.
    That's exactly what i thought....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    I have only watched two films.

The Shining
    2001..(yesterday)

The Shining was very spooky in parts but dragged a bit in the others. I wouldn't put it among the scariest I have seen.

I have some very mixed feelings about 2001. I was blown over by the look of it (our star release in '68 was Kudiyirundha Kovil). It is doubtlessly one of the most visually spectacular (to borrow the DVD jacket words) films I have seen.

Symbolism is all very well but I am used to a lot more stuff happening in films. A dramtic story with symbols buried in and around goes very well with me. But a movie that relies, almost completely on the symbols to carry the story forward was too new for me. It denied me the usual black or white response to a film.

It did seem way way longer than in actually is. At some point the lingering breathing in the lonely space stopped appealing. I have heard and read a lot about music in Kubrick's films. My untrained year could recognize the Blue Danube Waltz but it did seem out of place sometimes (for instance after the scenes where the first astronaut is lost and the second is tussling with Hal).

The film is still sinking in. This is a reaction of someone pampered by Kamal and IR. Where the films have something for each of the viewing (to use a threadbare review phrase "appealing at many levels") and the symbols, are sown within the drama. So I am reasonably convinced there was lot more in the movie than what I took home.

How did you guys like it the first time you saw it ?

PS: Kasi, I see you rank it just above EWS, which is what I intended to borrow, till an uncle came home from nowhere and was going to share my room that night. So I didn't want to give him a coronary if he got up for a midnight snack or something :P
    I loved it to the core.I was thinking that he'll finish it up with some dizzy explanation for the monolithic thing.But damn I could do nothing but close my eyes and think about it.The stargate is still in my eyes.Pathbreaking visuals!Something divine.Arthur.C.Clarke...how did you ever think such a thing 40 years ago?As everyone say,the movie gets better every time.Its #3(It was somewhere in 8 or 9 when I watched it for the first time)in my alltime favourites list right now.Maybe next time I would watch it,I'll make it #1.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only Kubrick movie i have seen is "The shining" !!.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast