Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Kubrick

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    Full Metal Jacket:

Sargeant: How tall are you private joker ?
    Private Joker: Sir, Five foot nite sir
    Sargeant: Five foot nine ! I dint know they stacked sh*t that high

Sargeant: Do you think I am cute ? Do you think I am funny private pyle?
    Private Pyle: Sir, no sir
    Sargeant: Then wipe that stupid looking grin off your face
    Private Plye: Sir yes sir (tries hard but cudnt)
    Sargeant: Any ******* time sweetheart
    Private Pyle: Sir I m trying Sir
    Sargeant: Private Plye, I m gonna give you 3 seconds. 3 ******* seconds to wipe that disgusting grin off your face. Otherwise I ll gouge out your eyeballs and skull-**** you !!

These scenes will be extremely funny when you watch them, the first time. But when you think of it after watching the whole movie you will certainly see a difference !!

Yes, the first half is thoroughly funny but yet hard hitting. However, i didn't agree with the director in the 2nd or atleast i'm not sure what Kubrick's stand is...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Full Metal Jacket:

Sargeant: How tall are you private joker ?
    Private Joker: Sir, Five foot nite sir
    Sargeant: Five foot nine ! I dint know they stacked sh*t that high

Sargeant: Do you think I am cute ? Do you think I am funny private pyle?
    Private Pyle: Sir, no sir
    Sargeant: Then wipe that stupid looking grin off your face
    Private Plye: Sir yes sir (tries hard but cudnt)
    Sargeant: Any ******* time sweetheart
    Private Pyle: Sir I m trying Sir
    Sargeant: Private Plye, I m gonna give you 3 seconds. 3 ******* seconds to wipe that disgusting grin off your face. Otherwise I ll gouge out your eyeballs and skull-**** you !!

These scenes will be extremely funny when you watch them, the first time. But when you think of it after watching the whole movie you will certainly see a difference !!

Yes, the first half is thoroughly funny but yet hard hitting. However, i didn't agree with the director in the 2nd or atleast i'm not sure what Kubrick's stand is...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Eyes Wide shut again this weekend. I should say that I was impressed. Dint like the movie when I watched it for the first time. I think Kubrick is one of those directors whose movies are to be watched multiple times to enjoy each and every bit of it.

The kissing scene in the prostitute's apartment is spellbinding. They both arent naked but the kiss is extremely sensual

Visual elegance - Kubrick. Barry Lyndon, 2001, EWS are perfect examples of this. His mastery of light, depth and composition is impeccable.

I dint pay much attention to that bhagvat gita verse which was wonderfully sung (by wonder who !!) when the orgy is going on. Added the perfect touch to that scene !!

idhu kaamamaa, kaadhalaa, idhu oru naragamaa

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a very good compilation

EWS, last scene:

NK: There is something really important that we need to do as soon as possible.

TC: Whats that ??

NK: ****

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The latest issue of 'TIME' carries a conversation between DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholson and Scorsese about 'The Departed' among other things. The discussion veers towards Kubrick (as can be expected). Here are the excerpts:

TIME: Are there any of your own movies you have come back to?
    DiCaprio: Scorsese is obsessive about authenticity and minutiae that you may skip the first time, and then - Oh, my God! Slicing the garlic meant something! They weren't just slicing garlic!
    Scorsese: Kubric is really the killer. The other night, there it is again - 'The Shining'. What could I do? I had to watch the whole goddam thing .
    DiCaprio: (To Nicholson) I wish you would have worked with Kubrick again, man.
    Nicholson: Me too. I'm ashamed to admit it, but the first thought through my mind when I heard that he died was not, Ooooh, Stanley, my dear friend. It was, F---. Not going to get to do another movie with him. I wouldn't have suspected that would have been my reaction, but it's true.

Disclaimer: The emoticon is my insertion and was not expressed by Scorsese.

My question - was DiCaprio's comment on 'garlic slicing' rhetoric or did it feature in any Scorsese's movie?
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stanley Kubrick

He deserves a thread here, doesnt he ??

These are my favourite Kubrick movies, in the order:

1. A Clockwork orange
    2. The Killing
    3. Dr. Strangelove
    4. The shining
    5. Full metal jacket
    6. Spartacus
    7. Lolita
    8. 2001: A space odessey
    9. Eyes wide shut (Probably his worst movie )

I havent seen barry lyndon and I ve heard a lot about that masterpiece !! Are there any other Kubrick movies that I had missed ??
    You've missed out Artifical Intelligence. The opening hour and the last half an hour were masterpiece as Kubrick was directing them.

It was shite as usual in the middle when Spielberg directed the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "VillageGimp
    You've missed out Artifical Intelligence. The opening hour and the last half an hour were masterpiece as Kubrick was directing them.

Kubrick never directed it though it was co-written by him. After Kubrick's death Spielberg modified the screenplay and directed it from scratch

Post Thanks / Like
    AI is one of those movies which I had to watch alone(20-30 people is not so many in sippy, THE best theatre in trichy) in the theaters. I was put through two and half hours of boredom and it was extremely sleep inducing. Have never even tried watching it again. Later read somewhere that Kubrick handed over the script to spielberg, though they worked together on in it for many years

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwarpet_andavan
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageGimp

Kubrick never directed it though it was co-written by him. After Kubrick's death Spielberg modified the screenplay and directed it from scratch
    i also why they dint join the name of kubrick in the imdb direction column if kubrick had done some job in direction!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast