0 0%
  • Kevin Peterson

2 10.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOST aggressive Batsmen of this era

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justice Thambi,

Thats a good comparison.But we have to note that Sanath is an opener and Gilchrist is somewhere 5 or 6th batsman! And i hope i don need to explain you why Gilchrist scored less tons than Sanath.But you have to appreciate the fact that in his position(5th or 6th) he has scored these much tons!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    But i cant deny that Santh/Kalu pair was the first one to score more runs in the first 10 Overs.They scored 80-90 runs in 10 overs so easily and they showed how to score 300+ in ODI's it is def'ly Lankans.

And i cant forget A'de'silva what a player!!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether it is test or a one dayer - Gilcrhist played the one & only way he could - AGGRESSION

remember who was the catalyst to the great Aussie spate of victories ? It was Gilly only against Paks when they were going strong. Gilly took the match away SINGLEHANDEDLY on the 5th day by plundering 140++ & also won a virtually lost match .
    After this , the Aussies never looked back

Again , in Mumbai , when our bowlers were on top, Gilly destroyed our morale by a breathtaking century ( whether he failed in other 2 matches is immaterial ) & took the game away.

I can quote several examples like this

GILLY GILLY GILLY GILLY GILLY

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry i am not very sure that Gilchrist was always 5 th or 6th batsman.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Sridhar
    Justice Thambi,

Thats a good comparison.But we have to note that Sanath is an opener and Gilchrist is somewhere 5 or 6th batsman! And i hope i don need to explain you why Gilchrist scored less tons than Sanath.But you have to appreciate the fact that in his position(5th or 6th) he has scored these much tons!
    Yes

I'm taking nothing away from Gilly, my fav player(ponting too) from Aus. But maddy claiming Jaya was a disaster and Gilly was a success since 2000 is atrocious when both of them have equally been good. That's why I searched for stats. Opening an innings for an average team is as hard as plyaing at no 7(five down) because the bowlers are fresh and will be bowling the new ball. Gilly is the best playing at 5 down in test and possibly is in anyones dream squad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran
    remember who was the catalyst to the great Aussie spate of victories ? It was Gilly only against Paks when they were going strong. Gilly took the match away SINGLEHANDEDLY on the 5th day by plundering 140++ & also won a virtually lost match .
    Once I stated in one of the thread here that Sachin singlehandedly won a match and you scolded me for doing so.. but now Simply defines the art of hypocrisy.

That was a fine hundred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    Once I stated in one of the thread here that Sachin singlehandedly won a match and you scolded me for doing so.. but now Simply defines the art of hypocrisy.

That was a fine hundred
    Justice

Can you give me instances of Sachin having won a TEST match singlehandedly ? But I wish you give it against a country which is creditworthy & it should be outside India . I bet it will be a big blank here.

Second, Gilly , for him , it doesnt matter whether its test or a oneday - his approach will be the same but Sanath shows caution ( pls dont say its a matured approach ) in tests

But for Gilly, in both forms JUST STEPS IN AND BLASTS RIGHT FROM THE WORD GO .

MY POST HERE IS ADDRESSING THE TOPIC THEME - THE MOST AGGRESSIVE OF OUR ERA

Dont you feel now that Gilly is the ultimate when you consider AGGRESSION ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Justice

Can you give me instances of Sachin having won a TEST match singlehandedly ? But I wish you give it against a country which is creditworthy & it should be outside India . I bet it will be a big blank here.

Second, Gilly , for him , it doesnt matter whether its test or a oneday - his approach will be the same but Sanath shows caution ( pls dont say its a matured approach ) in tests

In tests, Sanath opens the innings and is the stalwart of SL batting line up, whenver he has a good match, SL wins the match. He has lots of responsibility to lift the team spirit. Gilly plays at no 7 in a line up after the ball has become old and the players are exhausted. Do you know every team tries to avoid losing some quick wickets early on an innings, that's openers job. What Gilly does is a bonus. Most of the time, Aus is already in a good position and a failure from Gilly won't do much harm to Aus. He has the freedom. I remeber one of Sanath's innings against pakistan in 2004 when he hit a double ton in the second innings. He shared a partnership of 101 for the last wicket. From the 101 runs, the guy at the other end scored one run only. Sanath was on a song. See how the position makes a difference. Let Gilly open or Sanath bat at no 7 and then have the comparision. Sanath is the most agressive batsman of the era without a shadow of a doubt. Nobody murders a bowling attack as Sanath most often does. You won't witness a fifty from Gilly off 17 balls or hundred off 48 balls or 150 off 95 balls. It's Sanath only.

Singlehanded: Singlehadedly is an exaggerated term because Gilly scored 149 but even Langer scored 127 in the same innings. How's that a singlehandedly? Aus won by 4 wickets. That's not singlehandedly. This term is more apt to Lara's 153* against Aus.

You have your opinion, I have mine and am firm. I'll rather stop than repeating the same ammunitions so

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    Justice

In tests, Sanath opens the innings and is the stalwart of SL batting line up, whenver he has a good match, SL wins the match. He has lots of responsibility to lift the team spirit. Gilly plays at no 7 in a line up after the ball has become old and the players are exhausted. Do you know every team tries to avoid losing some quick wickets early on an innings, that's openers job. What Gilly does is a bonus. Most of the time, Aus is already in a good position and a failure from Gilly won't do much harm to Aus. He has the freedom. I remeber one of Sanath's innings against pakistan in 2004 when he hit a double ton in the second innings. He shared a partnership of 101 for the last wicket. From the 101 runs, the guy at the other end scored one run only. Sanath was on a song. See how the position makes a difference. Let Gilly open or Sanath bat at no 7 and then have the comparision. Sanath is the most agressive batsman of the era without a shadow of a doubt. Nobody murders a bowling attack as Sanath most often does. You won't witness a fifty from Gilly off 17 balls or hundred off 48 balls or 150 off 95 balls. It's Sanath only.

Singlehanded: Singlehadedly is an exaggerated term because Gilly scored 149 but even Langer scored 127 in the same innings. How's that a singlehandedly? Aus won by 4 wickets. That's not singlehandedly. This term is more apt to Lara's 153* against Aus.

You have your opinion, I have mine and am firm. I'll rather stop than repeating the same ammunitions so
    I think you have forgotten that 200+ Gilly scored in South Africa which is one of the fastest double century
    The Australian batting lineup is so strong that he had to come lower down.
    There are many matches that he had won / ensured that they get a substantial lead ( with tailenders to support ) which proved to be decisive in the ultimate analysis

Despite Langer's knock, if Gilly had not scored that , Aussies would have lost that match & who knows what would have happened to the sequence of victories which followed ? This knock was admired by none other than the then captain Steve Waugh & what happened to Aussies , you know !

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    Bringing Gillie is an insult to Sanath esp, who kicked off this great epoch !!!
    EXACTLY

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast