• Brian Lara

0 0%
  • Kevin Peterson

2 10.53%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOST aggressive Batsmen of this era

Senior Member Senior Hubber Alien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as aggressiveness is concerned I love these 3 equally , their gutsiness : Sanath , Shewag & Lara !!
    But I voted for Sanath :P ... Who I believe is the most terrorizing batsmen of this era.... I remember watching my first ever cricket series, Sharjah cup 1995 , where Lara piled up runs against Srilanka & Pakistan (169 & 104 & etc., ) , which for me was the dawn of a new era , when Sanath hit Ambrose for a six in the finale(SL lost by a mere 4 runs 333 & 329) !! ... And it indeed was the dawn of a new epoch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber villan007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jayasurya.... .... Terror to the bowlers... who can forget the '96 WC

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by villan007
    Jayasurya.... .... Terror to the bowlers... who can forget the '96 WC
    Villa

Jayasurya definitely was / is a terror but dont you feel that Gilchrist performs well as a terrorist in both forms of cricket ? oneday & tests ?

You know , atleast Jayasurya will defend certain balls & plan his innings but Gilchrist JUST DEMOLITION MANNNNN

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh nakeeran c'mon !!! Gillie is good too ... but comparing him with Sanath , Shewag is .... Gillie always had/has a great team to cope even if he fails, but that was not the case with Sanath , Lara, Shewag ...
    Bringing Gillie is an insult to Sanath esp, who kicked off this great epoch !!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    Alien

You know who actually kicked off this epoch ?

It was Krish Srikanth , followed by that kiwi Mark Greatbatch.
    While Sri did it in the 80s, Greatbatch did it well in that 92 worldcup matches .

Jayasurya was playing as a lower order batsman I think early in his career & it was the master brain Ranatunga who elevated him along with Kalu & they did wonders

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gilchrist/Sanath... both are equally good!! But its temper! Whoaa!! Gilchrist is something special!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky Ponting. He will waltz past all records. He has got a wide variety of strokes, never gets bogged down by the situation and when in flow, his shot selection and timing are flawless. He puts the bowlers on the defensive with his relentless attack. I second Rod Marsh's description: "he's a once in a generation batsman".
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Adam Gilchrist, he is better than anyone
    but maddy, stats dont favour adam, but favours Sanath, in fact, it was the lankans who introduced BRUTAL HITTINGS, in the mid nineties, with the likes of Sanath, Aravinda & ranatunga !
    yes Raghu, brutal hitting was their forte but that was also inspired from our greatest Sachin who introduced the concept of taking advantage of 15-over restriction......he was made to open against NZL in a one day match and he scored 83 in 42 balls, that was the beginning of attacking batsmaship (with a plan) in ODIs......i say attacking batsmaship (with a plan) cos Srikanth and Greatbatch already did that but without any specific plan........so i wud attribute this SL's brutal hitting to sachin's master stroke in 1993 or 94(i dont remember).........

moreover, Gilchrist is more reliable than Jayasurya, i have seen Gilchrist lifting Aussies many times in tests at crucial times and i have hardly seen him fail when required in ODIs as well.......whereas Sanath has been a major disappointment since 2000.....
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    Alien

You know who actually kicked off this epoch ?

It was Krish Srikanth , followed by that kiwi Mark Greatbatch.
    While Sri did it in the 80s, Greatbatch did it well in that 92 worldcup matches .

Jayasurya was playing as a lower order batsman I think early in his career & it was the master brain Ranatunga who elevated him along with Kalu & they did wonders
    Nakkeee
    Avasara paTTu ethO solreenga .... I said "Jayasurya kicked off this new epoch" .... I know that Sri did it in 80s , greatbach in 92 worldcup and others , but did they have any followers??? They were just doing by themselves ....
    Whereas Sanath's brutal big hitting persuaded/inspired every other team to follow !! And there u could see a clear-cut era with the introduction of Sanath up in the order opening the batting !
    (And there were some stray hittings like Sachin's 82 against Newzealand in 1992 ) ..... But it is undoubtedly Sanath who made everyone follow him in this great epoch !!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed someone saying Jayasurya was a disaster and Gilly was a success since 2000

Since 2000

Jayasurya has 15 tons in 164 ODIs at an average of 37
    Gilly has 9 tons in 166 ODIs at an average of 37

Jayasurya averages 46 in those ODIs won by Srilanka
    Gilly averages 42 in ODIs won by Australia

Sanath, despite not being in the champion team, has equally been good to Gilly, dollop better. Nobody plays a whirlwind innings of Jaya's caliber; ultimate evidence is the last ODI against England. Sanath is something special and has stamina and an aura. Plz don’t vilify if you aren’t aware of the facts.

After smashing NZ bowlers around the park, Gilly arrived in England and failed to gain Aus any momentum ahead of the Ashes.. He was a failure in ODIs and they had to share the cup with Eng. The team needed him to perform because they needed the momentum after losing the twenty20.

Regarding the first 15 over exploitation..
    Jayasurya was the one who epitomised the method. Before him, few players played one or two innings but Jayasurya was the trend setter, continously punished the attacks hence it became a new trend.

BTW Sachin and Ponting should be in the poll.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast