Thread: CousCous Upma

Post Thanks / Like

CousCous Upma

Hi all,

I tried a new recipe and that turned out delicious!!! The main ingredient is "CousCous" pronounced as KooseKoose. It is actually the smallest size of pasta. If u shop at Walmart, its available in the Rice Aisle. The brand is "Near East". The best thing about it is that it cooks in 5 minutes...

CousCous Upma

Ingredients:

1 box of couscous (10 oz)
    1 medium onion thinly sliced
    1 large tomato diced
    1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
    1 sprig of curry leaves
    3 green chillies finely chopped
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups water
    1 tbsp butter or any cooking oil
    Optional: U may add any choice of vegetable that u normally add to ur upma.

Method:

Melt butter in a pan and add the onions. Saute onions till it is pinkish or translucent. Add green peas, tomatoes, curry leaves and green chillies. Stir once or twice. Add 2 cups of water and let it boil. Add the salt. Once the water is boiling, add the whole box of couscous and mix well. Close the pan & leave on the gas only for 5 minutes. Switch off gas and take the pan off the stove. Lightly mix so that the couscous gets nice and fluffy. Serve hot as tiffin with sambar/chutney or as a light snack.

Hope you'll all like this recipe as it is very easy to make.
    "True friendship is like sound health;
    the value of it is seldom known until it be lost"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber waaza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the cous cous you used is partly cooked. Unfortunately, most packet cous cous tastes like the packet (yours may not) and I would suggest you try the raw varieties, which tend to be even fluffier, although taking longer to cook.
    I don't consider it a pasta, its tiny bits of duram wheat, the same as used in making pasta.

I like your recipe, I've always thought cous cous would be a suitable alternative to rice with lightly spiced Indian meals, I've been using it like this for years, it seems easier to digest than rice, though those with a wheat/gluten intolerance had best avoid it.

cheers
    Waaza
    take time to smell the roses

http://cumbrianfoodlab.blogspot.com/

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI
    Been hearing abt this for a long time..

Can i get this in India?? What do I ask for??

Anybody in India...who has bought this and tried it out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Waaza,
    I also think, its the precooked one...cos the cooking time is so less...just was thinking of other ways to make Indianised couscous...am going to try something like a cutlet...just like we make cutlets with soy granules...shall let u know once i'm successful at it...meanwhile, do post post any of ur experiments with couscous...

Hi smilealways (i like ur ID),
    I am not sure if u get couscous in India...u might want to ask any friends from the middle east...they might know what its called...i've heard they use it more frequently.

Thanks,
    Rajshank

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber waaza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajshank
    Hi Waaza,
    I also think, its the precooked one...cos the cooking time is so less...just was thinking of other ways to make Indianised couscous...am going to try something like a cutlet...just like we make cutlets with soy granules...shall let u know once i'm successful at it...meanwhile, do post post any of ur experiments with couscous...

<snip>

Thanks,
    Rajshank
    Hi Rajshank
    my use of cous cous with Indian food is just as a rice substitute, although it goes rather well with salad veg (toms, cucumber, salad onions etc. and lemon with fresh herbs in particular, see recipes for tabouleh). I'm not sure it would make good cutlets, the cooked grain should be light and fluffy, but you could mix it with steamed veg like carrot, courgette etc. (there is a Moroccan dish called sept legume, adapting this would seem profitable.
    Cous cous can also be made from other grains, so be watchful of what you are getting. A grain you may find makes good culets is quinoa, this ends up like mashed potatoes but needs a lot of flavours to make it enjoyable IMHO.
    cheers
    Waaza
    take time to smell the roses

http://cumbrianfoodlab.blogspot.com/