Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's special-- Today's menu--RECIPE

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Snow peas" are available cheap in Aus at this time of the year. They can be substituted for "avarakkaai" as they look and taste like them. (Snow peas are the same as "pachai pattaani kaai" but are thinner with very small peas in them, so small that they cannot be easily separated from the pods, which make them look like avarakkaai). So I made a poriyal of it today for lunch.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber southiecook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lunch: Kathirikka kuzhambu,pavakka(kaipakka) poriyal,padavalanga koottu,salad.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    aiwa,

u know, initially when ppl used bf for breakfast even I used to get confused thoughts as to why early morning they talk bout BF? that too married ppl why talk bout bf so openly ? :P

k getting back to the topic,

nice brandan and southie.

today my menu is vendakai fry, lemon rasam nothing very special.

but I made cauliflowr parota day bef yest.

Nothing great in it. u all may probably know too. Just wanted to say my rajasthani friend taught me a way to do it. She says SHRED the cauliflower, saute it using oil,
    mirchi powder,
    salt,
    haldi,
    and............
    dhani powder,
    jeera powder
    later add lots(i mean really lots) of corriander leaves.

Now u can use this stuffing (after its back to room temperature) inside the chappati batter.

believe me it tastes YUM try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm!! SP, last night, wife made Mooli Paratha (radish parata) in the same manner as you made this. Just substitute shredded radish instead of cauliflower!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha

Rasam... :P I'm not that good at making rasams except tomato rasam, jeeraga rasam & kollu rasam... every time I try the other rasams, I end up spending something like 1/2 hr to bring it to an edible form...

vendakkai fry... same here... vendakkai & cabbage stir fry and dhal rice...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made Brussel Sprouts Masala yesterday.

Recipe from a TV show demonstrated by Mallika Badrinath group:

Par boil Brussel Sprouts (split in half) with salt and turmeric powder. Then saute it in 1 tsp oil and set aside.

Slice onion (1/2) and saute with 2-3 pods of garlic and 1/2 inch sliced ginger. Grind this with 1 tsp Garam masala, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp amchur powder, 1/2 tsp Dhaniya-Jeera powder, enough salt and just a few pieces of blanched almonds (I used only 3 almonds). Saute this mixture in 1 tsp oil (water it down if necessary). Add Brussel sprouts, adjust salt. Let it simmer for 5 mins. Then add 2 tbsp of fresh curds and simmer (very low heat) for 2-3 mins. Garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy with Roti. (If you make this in non-stick, you can cut down on the oil a lot).

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    for the recipe. I get lots of brussel sprouts here but dunno how to cook. I would definetly give it a go now.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha

Rasam... :P I'm not that good at making rasams except tomato rasam, jeeraga rasam & kollu rasam... every time I try the other rasams, I end up spending something like 1/2 hr to bring it to an edible form...

vendakkai fry... same here... vendakkai & cabbage stir fry and dhal rice...
    what is your exact problem with rasam ?

coz I love various rasams.. includiong viLampazha Ottu rasam and kudamiLagai rasam :P

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madhu
    what is your exact problem with rasam ?

coz I love various rasams.. includiong viLampazha Ottu rasam and kudamiLagai rasam :P
    My prob with paruppu rasam is that I don't really know how to extract nice yellowish thick 'paruppu thanni' for making rasam... So, I just mash some dhal with water & use it... this way, the rasam doesn't taste that good... I cook the dhal in pressure cooker... let me know if U have a good rasam powder recipe...

Puli rasam turns out fine...but nothing great in it... Dunno whee I go wrong...

Mysore rasam...tried a few times...didn't turn out good...

greens rasam... I don't get the req greens(thuthuvalai, musumusukai) here...so, never tried it...

I don't have any idea of the rasams U've mentioned... the above mentioned are the rasam types I know of... please let me know the other rasams U make, with recipes if possible...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My today's lunch menu is rice + broad bean green curry + cauliflower, peas and potato sabzi...

For the broad bean green curry, I soaked up the broad bean the previous night... next day boiled that with a pinch of perungaayam...

for the gravy fried garlic + one big onion + jeera, Dhaniya, coconut, saunf and kasa kasa and added corriander and curry leaf to it and made a paste..

added oil in the pan, usual seasoning of mustard, dals, etc + some onion, then added the paste and then the boiled broad beans and some salt and let it cook till the juices get into the bean
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast