Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Mano View Post
    Hello Mr.Nov!
    As you are from Malaysia, I want to know about a product which is from Malaysia. Have you heard about DXN Products? They are marketing some products which are made from RED Reishi Mushroom [Ganoderma Lucidum]. It is said that these products of this mushroom has a healing ability and there are highly herbal medicines. Have you heard about this?
    A very late reply, but I couldn't resist the urge to not reply.
    Some years ago, I think I was in 7th grade or 8th, our family had these DXNstuff that were widely promoted in the middle east. Worse than the food supplements, was the actual mushroom itself. Some huge mushroom that had to be soaked in Tea. Every night my mom used to replace the tea and the whole kitchen stunk when the lid of the mushroom dish was opened. The soaked tea was taken as a food supplement and the new tea was poured in to soak over night in the mushroom.....the mushroom let out layers that were passed on to friends which was another mushroom to stink up their house. I was relieved when that fad wore out and people stopped using that thing. But moved on to the DXN tablets.

I wouldn;t say I don't believe in food supplements - Chyavanprash, Safi, Gulkhand, all that are good for health but this DXN always makes me think of that mushroom. and its stink!
    Last edited by chevy; 25th September 2011 at 03:00 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone clarify this query.

I use thick cream for icing (add icing sugar, other flavours or colors to it). Last time I accidently used the electric beater instead of just whisking the cream. It turned the thick cream to a runny consistency. I tried to add more icing sugar but then it was getting too sweet , refridgerated it it thickened a little but not good enough for icing.
    How do I save the cream if such a thing happens , can I add corn flour to it and turn it into icing?

Post Thanks / Like
    And the second query:-

As mentioned earlier, I whipped up thick cream on high speed accidentally making it useless for icing. Can thick cream be added to cake batter instead of butter/oil?
    What would the result be like?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    chevy, whip it some more and u might end up with sweet butter... n then u can use it to make buttercream frosting...but seriously, I've not has such accidents and don't curse me if it turns out into something else n not butter...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    chevy, whip it some more and u might end up with sweet butter... n then u can use it to make buttercream frosting...but seriously, I've not has such accidents and don't curse me if it turns out into something else n not butter...
    Ur kidding me!!!

I mean this http://www.andalusiaexpress.com/imag...eam250mlx3.jpg . This accident happens often to me and I just end up with runny cream. It just ends up like thick milk consistency. Doesn't seem to form any butter.haha.. its funny though, I would love it if that happens however

The suggestion reminded me of my hostel days (currently home on vacation), me and my room mate discuss how we'll use milk powder to make milk, curd and lassi and all that in our room ( our hostel neither provided those , nor did were we allowed to have any electrical appliances to heat milk/refrigerate so on. But we secretly had a small kettle...Atha vechu we build castles in the air ...haha.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    chevy, u can make butter from heavy cream...http://themovementdallas.wordpress.c...m-fresh-cream/

My guess is u din't whip it long enough... innum konjam whip panni paarunga...edhavadhu onnu kidaikum...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha, I ll certainly try. Yes, I remember my hostel mate telling me , they collect paal-adai everyday and add a drop curd into it after it accumulates enough of it and then later churn it into butter or some process like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this for baking or drinking? - http://www.britishdelights.net/images/cocoa1.jpg It's cadbury's cocoa but tastes like bournvita when turned into a cake The color of the powder itself isn't as deep as hershey's or even another standard brands.
    Last edited by chevy; 25th September 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    Could someone clarify this query.

I use thick cream for icing (add icing sugar, other flavours or colors to it). Last time I accidently used the electric beater instead of just whisking the cream. It turned the thick cream to a runny consistency. I tried to add more icing sugar but then it was getting too sweet , refridgerated it it thickened a little but not good enough for icing.
    How do I save the cream if such a thing happens , can I add corn flour to it and turn it into icing?
    OK, I just came across my own query years ago. so I thought I'd reply with what I've discovered about this "Cream- confusion" over the years. So, just saving you from some disappointment on a lovely birthday baking day, don't use these guys for frosting. , if I'm wrong please correct me.

1) Major problem being different countries use -different names and different making methods - so you need to be clear on what your recipe wants out of cream.

2) Easiest way is to go by the "Fat content" in ingredients

3)
    a) for whipped cream- buy cream with more than 35% fat content. - it maybe called whipping cream/heavy cream/ similar.
    b) for malai-curries, spread, frappes and milk shakes. etc - any cream of the range of 25% fat plus will do. (This is the most common type cream - most brands in india use 25% fat. (like amul, nilgiris, etc). In other countries, fresh table cream, creme fraiche etc is of this range.
    c) some recipes call for very thick clotted cream - they are 55% fat plus and mostly go for the European brands because thats where clotted cream originates. Its expensive and yum. Most often lands in the mouth before you even start about the recipe.
    d) for coffees , light cream of 15% or so will do.
    e) Tinned cream/or tetra packaged "thick cream" that you will find in the evaporated milk section and not the cold storage dairy section is cream that is constructed from dry milk solids and thickening agents. They are usually more shelf stable , economical and if you're a smaller family and use less cream better to go for it and stock it in your pantry- for shakes, malai-based curries and fruit toppings /sauces. I have used it in "cold cheesecakes" and they work because cold cheesecakes with gelatin with "set" anything. I doubt it will work for the baked type cheesecake or for whipped cream to frost cakes. Because I've done that experimenting part for you and ended up with a watery thin liquid in the name whipped cream. I thought was that close to getting it but no, it never started to thicken. Traditional "heavy cream" or whipping cream (fat content 35% -45%) will first scare the hell out of you, by becoming thin and runny and then it will start to thicken and form lovely whipped cream. If you just wait and watch the magic happen. But no, that didn't work with the tinned cream work me. It will just become runny liquid. I assume because, it is technically It is thickened milk and not the cream of milk to be called as a "cream" . But I still have these in the pantry for curries or shakes. It's more shelf stable and better option for people who rarely use cream.
    f)Off-late I see "cooking" cream and they are supposedly more heat-stable heavy creams. (35% fat) I'd don't see much difference n I suppose you could use them in the same way as you'd use whipping cream/aka heavy cream for frosting cakes. I've used them for curries as recommended. They taste good just like any other cream just with more fat. I'd personally go for 25% fat regular cream.
    6) In india - I noticed dream-whip packets of powdered whipping cream. It's same like any powdered whipped crema anywhere. Its too airy and make not stand on cakes for too long. Its okay for topping on fruits but not too much for decorating. If you're having trouble finding cream for frosting in your area- go for butter/margarine cream or any pudding powder based frosting works too.
    Also in india, the malai that is available is 25% and I have not used it for making whipped cream and would like to know if it has worked for anyone but going by theory a minimum 30% will hold whipped cream well. Even with that, adding cream of tartar will make it more stable. So I doubt a 25% cream that is the malai in most brands like Amul will work. Let me know if it works.
    Last edited by chevy; 26th December 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798