Page 90 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This vege is called bok choi or chinese cabbage.

Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kavitha, I once had a mixed steamed veggies in Malaysia... they just looked like plain steamed veggies but when I tasted it they had a slight sour taste & was mildly salted... It was very tasty & I couldn't smell or taste or see any other spices in it... not even chillies I guess... Please post the recipe for it if u know how to make it...

Thanks in adv...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavitha Ravi
    Shoba I found this in the net.
    In Malay the swiss chard is known as daunbit.

Chard

Chard is most commonly recognized by gardeners and commercial growers as a tall stalky green known as Swiss Chard. Chard is actually a variety of beet, but the leafy greens don’t really resemble their tubular cousins. The Japanese chard, called “fudanso” in Japan, is also known as leaf beet, spinach beet, leaf chard, or perpetual spinach. This shorter stalked variety has glossy deep green leaves that are slightly waved with small mid ribs. This chard is tastiest when harvested young and the leaves are tender and mild flavored. Fudanso is an excellent choice for baby greens in salads and stir-fry. In Japan, the vegetable is most commonly parboiled and then soaked in water to remove some of the acrid taste. Fudanso does well in cool season planting, but can also withstand heat, making this hearty green a good choice for growing from spring to winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavitha Ravi
    This vege is called mustard greens or kadugu keerai. In Malay it is known as sayur sawi.

Click here to see included image..
    Kavitha, thanks so very much! So the Kadugu keerai I've been buying (along with the curly hard ball) is indeed Mustard Green. I also found out that there are more than 10 varieties of Mustard Greens! And the Swiss Chard, hmm, I thought the leaves off a beetroot was called Beet Greens. Funny how all vegetable sellers promptly take off the green leaves from beet roots, turnips etc.,!

Thanks again!
    Shoba

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shoba: I used to grow mustard at home and I had two varieties, yellow mustard and the regular black mustard, the leaves for both were quite different! But looking at the pictures on the net, there are quite a few varieties and some of them even look like curly kale! and looks like mustard has nothing to do with mustard greens.... I am still not sure!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Dev, there are many methods to cook this stir fried mixed vege. This is one type. I hope you like it.

STIR FRIED MIXED VEGETABLES

Ingredients:

500 grms of mixed veges, e.g carrots, cauliflower,
    Broccoli, button mushroom, baby corn. Any of your choice.
    4 pips garlic finely minced
    1 ½ tbs of cooking oil
    ¼ cup hot water
    A pinch of sugar to retain the colour of the veges

Seasonings:
    1 ½ tbs oyster sauce
    1 tbs light soya sauce
    White pepper powder to taste

Method:
    Cut the veges according to your taste.
    Heat oil in a wok, add the minced garlic.
    Stir for a moment till there is a nice aroma.
    Add the mixed veges and stir for about 3 minutes
    Adding the hot water slowly. Add the sugar.
    Close the wok for a minute.
    Now add the seasonings and continue to cook
    Until the veges are cooked. Please do not over cook the veges.
    Serve hot with steaming rice.

KR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot,Kavitha... the pic looks very similar to the one I had...

BTW, is there any substitute for oyster sauce... I mean a vegetarian version...can I use mushroom sauce instead?...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Dev, they do sell vegetarian oyster sauce. You can use mushroom sauce too.

Even crushed ginger too can be added. As I have said, there are many methods to cook this simple stir fry dish.

Here in Malaysia they also add a tbs of fermented preserved soya paste called tau cheong. Its mostly added by the Chinese. It will have a salty taste. It will not have any strong smell. It will be slightly sour. Thanks. Kavi
    KR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kavitha...I'll try out this recipe & let you know if this is what I'm looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Kavitha, I tried the mixed vegs today & it was quite good... I added a bit of lemon juice at the end as I wanted it to be a bit tangy... the taste was quite similar to the one I had but this one had the flavour of the sauces... the one I had din't have any sauce flavours... I'm just wondering if you have any similar recipe that uses vinegar in it... I'm just planning to try out with soya sauce & vinegar or chillies in vinegar next time...

Thanks a again for the recipe...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I accidentally brought varuthu araicha arisi maavu instead of aapam maavu. How can I make aapam with this, can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Page 90 of 98 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast