Page 78 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Anou... Now this is a diff thuvayal recipe with onion, garlic, tomato & stuffs... Will try it out today... Thanks again,Anou...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any thread in the Food Section that aims at nutritional cooking, which means loss of minimal nutrients while cooking? Could someone 'bump' that thread for me in case there is one. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Is there any thread in the Food Section that aims at nutritional cooking, which means loss of minimal nutrients while cooking? Could someone 'bump' that thread for me in case there is one. Thanks!
    Alan, the simple rule is steam cooked or stir fried,half-cooked vegs retain more nutrients than deep fried or overcooked vegs... If you can grow or buy your own organic vegs, u can try to eat them raw... U'll be able to benefit a lot as most nutrients r intact...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou dev- I did try Vegetable gardening for a while but gave it up because I had to use insecticides for the plant diseases. So then, what was the point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anou, tried your version of vallarai thuvayal... it went well with dosai & chapathi too... Thanks for the recipe...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dev
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Can someone give me a tip to sustain the greeness of palak while cooking?
    Alan, once you wash and chop up the greens, add turmeric & a pinch of soda bicarb or wet lime (chunnaambu, which is used for smearing betel leaves)..and enough water and cook with the vessel closed. The "pinch" is really, really a pinch..at the most it'll occupy the very tip of a teaspoon! Try using a maththu (wooden churner, have you seen the contraption they use for separating butter from curd? Looks somethihg like that but without the grooves. It should be available in any old fashioned crockery shop) to mash the green. It tastes better than using a mixie to grind up the greens.

If you want to retain the colour of vegetables while cooking, turmeric does the trick. Add it once you place the vegetables in the pot. Of course, not over cooking also helps..

Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoba,

You might be wrong.

Only adding a little sugar in Greens before cooking retains the colour. I use this trick for green peas, Beans etc also. Try adding some and let me know.

Nichiro
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichiro
    Shoba,

You might be wrong.

Only adding a little sugar in Greens before cooking retains the colour. I use this trick for green peas, Beans etc also. Try adding some and let me know.

Nichiro
    Adding sugar might be an alternative way...but I dont think I'm wrong Nichiro, as I've been doing what I advised, for the last 16 years...and it has worked without any problems...

Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    I used your method in early seventies but since learning this Sugar trick, I found that sugar gives natural bright green colour and actually enhances green colour. Try it.
    Raam Raahave Namah:

Page 78 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast