Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok after all that elaborate menu planning, I suddenly have a doubt- Is Bagera Baingan better with Chappatis or Pulao?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never tasted it, Alan... this is a new dish to me... sorry...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Ok after all that elaborate menu planning, I suddenly have a doubt- Is Bagera Baingan better with Chappatis or Pulao?
    Alan,

The baingan dish will go well with both rotis & mixed rice varieties.

From a vegetarian's point of view, I feel that the meal you serve should have some variety in texture in the dishes. The "rule of thumb" is actually to have one starch, one semi solid, one dry and one gravy as the bare minimum for your main meal. Pappadam, pachadi & pickle unfortunately, dont count as "dishes" but as accessories. If you have sat at a traditional sadya, you would have noticed the positions & priorities these last three items occupy.

In your menu, you have veg pulao, and the baingan will be a good accompaniment. If the pulao is on the spicy side, then the raita will serve to cool your system. I would still go for a stir fried item, which doesnt have to be dripping in oil. It will not only compliment the rice dish, but also fill up your guests.

As for the cutlets, if you find it easy to make, then go ahead and serve them with the lemonade. Same, if you decide on spring roll or frozen baby samosas etc., Dont serve them with your main meal, coz it doesnt compliment the spread you have.

Sorry for this lengthy reply...but I thought I would share my thoughts...

Regards,
    Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou so much, Shoba mam- I had known of this rule before- ok- now, I have one starch (Veg Pulao), one semi- gravy (Baingan) but no dry or semi-solid???

What exactly are stir fried items? Can crispy fried veggies ( as starter) be counted as stir-fried? But it is actually deep fried.

What are semi-solid dishes like? Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly are stir fried items? Can crispy fried veggies ( as starter) be counted as stir-fried? But it is actually deep fried.

What are semi-solid dishes like? Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right?
    I guess something like buttered vegs can be considered as stir fried item... Also, aloo with ladies finger stir fried along with spices makes a dry dish... tastes good with pulao/rotis... I guess these kinds of dishes are what Shoba has in mind...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Alan, U can find some stir fried veg recipes in Mrs.Mano's thread...ex: POTATO CAPSICUM FRY...not deep fried but stir fried...

How abt tandoori vegs...esp good if U have a grill/conventional oven...You can also find some stir fried dishes like zunka, bhajis at http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou so much, Shoba mam- I had known of this rule before- ok- now, I have one starch (Veg Pulao), one semi- gravy (Baingan) but no dry or semi-solid???

Alan,

Panic not! Your menu is just fine, ok !

The baingan dish is a semi solid dish. It will double up as a gravy coz it's veg pulao that you are serving.

Stir fried veggies, I usually dont recommend potato based starchy veggies coz you already have a heavy duty main dish like veg pulao. Do you get french beans-just the ordinary beans? Wash, remove stalk, and chop them up. Burst mustard seeds, lightly brown urad dal, add the beans. Add turmeric and salt and a dash of asfoetida. Mix well. Lower flame, cover and cook till done. That's it. Dont go for complicated stuff. You can do this for cabbages, carrots etc., where it doesnt weigh you down with the rice dish. Wash veggies before cutting, as this will prevent the dishes from getting soggy. Grated coconut is optional, once the veggies are cooked.

Shoba
    Your starter should be something interesting and semi filling. Dont go for deep fried veggies, unless you're doing it tempura style. I still dont know whether you are doing samosas or paneer fingers, or cutlets etc etc...?

"Paneer Bhurjiya & ChilliGobi etc can be counted as 'dry' dishes, right? "-yes, but not for this menu, if you see what I mean....

Idea is to keep things simple, people's stomach's happy and have a good time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! Amazing women, dev & Shoba Mam! What would I have done without ur valuable suggestions? I had no idea about stir-fried dishes though I've eaten them- this indeed has been an enlightening discussion for me- anyway, I think I'll go ahead with my menu plan right now but I'll need loads of advices, tips & suggestions in the future!

I'll be very very busy for the next 2-3 days- will come back only on mon or tue- Ladies, you've been wonderful!Thankyou once again!
    *bows*
    *exits*

Post Thanks / Like
    *re-enters*

Well, I need help immediately!
    I had opened a tin of milkmaid condensed milk on Tuesday evening- kept it back in the fridge- How long can I store it this way?

Thanks!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    *re-enters*

Well, I need help immediately!
    I had opened a tin of milkmaid condensed milk on Tuesday evening- kept it back in the fridge- How long can I store it this way?

Thanks!
    Alan, I keep that up to a week if I could not gobble it up all at once. Sometimes I open a can just for snacking a few spoonfuls. I love that stuff, but cannot take more than 2-3 spoonfuls at a time. So I keep it in the fridge and take a few spoonfuls everyday for dessert. Sometimes I mix this with equal amount of half & half (thick milk) and add fresh cut up fruits(soft fruits like banana, pineapple, papaya, mango etc.) to it. Yummy and easy fruit salad!
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast