Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPepper
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I added cream & a little sugar- no use!
    Hemantji has a method for sour sambar/rasam here:
    http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-c...cks.html#tip13

Don’t know how much relevant it is in this case.
    The tip is a to me...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPepper
    I added cream & a little sugar- no use!
    Hemantji has a method for sour sambar/rasam here:
    http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-c...cks.html#tip13

Don’t know how much relevant it is in this case.
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the ideal curry suitable for Tomato Rice? I've bought a packet of instant Tomato Rice by MTR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomato rice... I like it on it's own... But if it's the spicier version(with all the garam masala stuff in it), U can have it with raita of ur choice...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Raita is there - no doubt about that- I like Cucumber Raita-but I'm asking other curries- Will Cauliflower fry (fried in chickpea batter) go with it? And Pappad & Pickle?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Raita is there - no doubt about that- I like Cucumber Raita-but I'm asking other curries- Will Cauliflower fry (fried in chickpea batter) go with it? And Pappad & Pickle?
    Alan, I serve stir fried snow pea-frozen pea, cucumber pachadi and pappadam along with tomato rice. I dont serve pickle, coz it's pungent and clashes with the taste of tomato rice.

Snow peas is the slender and sweeter version of avarakka. Saute chopped onions and sliced red chillies. Devein the snow peas and half it slanting (so that the cut pieces look like diamond shapes). Defrost peas. Once the onions turn translucent, add snow pea, salt and turmeric (just a bit to bring the green colour out). Lower flame, cover and cook. Add thawed peas, adjust salt, and cook for a few minutes more. Sorry I dont have any exact measurements!

Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoba
    Alan, I serve stir fried snow pea-frozen pea, cucumber pachadi and pappadam along with tomato rice. I dont serve pickle, coz it's pungent and clashes with the taste of tomato rice.

Snow peas is the slender and sweeter version of avarakka. Saute chopped onions and sliced red chillies. Devein the snow peas and half it slanting (so that the cut pieces look like diamond shapes). Defrost peas. Once the onions turn translucent, add snow pea, salt and turmeric (just a bit to bring the green colour out). Lower flame, cover and cook. Add thawed peas, adjust salt, and cook for a few minutes more. Sorry I dont have any exact measurements!

Shoba
    What's 'avarakka" in the first place? Sorry, I did not understand anything, Shobha Mam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Snow pea pic- http://www.ncagr.com/markets/commodi...es/snowpea.jpg

I guess snow pea is not fully matured green peas... it's a nice veg with a slight sweet taste... I usually stir fry it along with carrots... I'm not sure if U'll get it in India as I dodn't remember seeing it when in India... It's popular in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia & neighbouring countries...

Shoba & others,

Do U have any idea as to how to make the dry veg sidedish that the Malaysian Indians make... it's a mix of all vegs like carrots, long beans, snow peas, cabbage etc... could see no spices,turmeric but was perfectly salted...Is it just boiling in salted water & draining or just steaming with salt?...Any ideas...

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapathi Kal

Hello,
    Let me begin by thanking people belonging to this forum for helping me out by posting their questions and answers. I have found answers to almost all of my queries here even without posting a query. But now I would like to ask for help directly.

So far I have been using non stick tawa for making chapthis. This tawa is now in really bad shape with coating coming off. I heard that that is what will happen when you use non stick tawas for chapthis. What is the alternative? I would like to buy something equivalent chapthi kall here in US, but what is it? Is it iron skillets or griddles, or hard ionized products? Can someone please help me? If there are indian websites were I can purchase them can someone let me know of the websites please.

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chapathi Kal

Quote Originally Posted by ShivShanth
    Can someone please help me? If there are indian websites were I can purchase them can someone let me know of the websites please.

Thanks in advance.
    Hello ShivShanth,

Click on this

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5848

and it will take you to a discussion done on this very food thread on cookware and utensils, relating particularly to those residing in the U.S.

Hope it helps..

Regards,
    Shoba

Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast