Page 52 of 98 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "restoring the vitamin contents of the vegetables we use in avial? "

Hi pinkdawn,

could u pls explain the above stmt?...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    "restoring the vitamin contents of the vegetables we use in avial? "

Hi pinkdawn,

could u pls explain the above stmt?...
    Dev,

Avial is a kerala dish and lots of vegetables are used. I think when we cook food in MW the nutrient value is not lost (atleast thatz what MW ads say, ofcourse, I have not personally taken any food to lab to test how much is lost or how much is stored). So, I feel basically we need to add less water or sprinkle some water when we cook food using MW (again depends of recipe) . That is the reason why am hunting for MW avial recipe.

I hope I cleared/answered /explained your query/doubt, if you are still unclear please forgive my inability to explain things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks pinkdawn... I thought the avial recipes use veggies cooked in lots of water & drained & that's Y U wanted to use the MW to preserve nutients(Since u said 'restoring the nutis',I got confused. Tht's Y I asked the prev que... No offence intended...)

As far as I know, if U can cook veggies till the water dries out(ie no draining of water)or steam cook, nutrients wouldn't be lost much... also it's better to slow cook & cook vegs until 3/4th done...

As for MW, I use it only for emergency cooking & reheating... This is after I read articles abt the hazards of MW cooking... also, felt tht fast cooking at very high temp in MW doesn't give the same taste as traditional cooking on the stove top... generally, most traditional recipes can be used for MW cooking as well..just reduce the spices & salt a bit...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Thanks pinkdawn... I thought the avial recipes use veggies cooked in lots of water & drained & that's Y U wanted to use the MW to preserve nutients(Since u said 'restoring the nutis',I got confused. Tht's Y I asked the prev que... No offence intended...)

As far as I know, if U can cook veggies till the water dries out(ie no draining of water)or steam cook, nutrients wouldn't be lost much... also it's better to slow cook & cook vegs until 3/4th done...

As for MW, I use it only for emergency cooking & reheating... This is after I read articles abt the hazards of MW cooking... also, felt tht fast cooking at very high temp in MW doesn't give the same taste as traditional cooking on the stove top... generally, most traditional recipes can be used for MW cooking as well..just reduce the spices & salt a bit...

Dev,

Thanks for the reply. No..... water used for avial is not drained out.

Would you mind sharing the hazards ......of MW cooking??? whats that????

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone knows where I can buy 'matka kulfi' in singapore? Or atleast where I can buy the small earthen pots (matka) to make this kulfi. The recipe was shown on Sanjeev Kapoor's show 'Khana Khazana'.

Post Thanks / Like
    tomato,

Did U try in Jothi stores pushpa kadai?... they might be having it...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx dev, I guess Jyothi's will have matka and not the kulfi........ Kulfi would have ben better though........anyway thanx........

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops...Since U've written U saw the recipe, I thought U r making the kulfi & U just wanted to get the pots... Sry...

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends:

Can anyone living in the US tell me where to buy a sevai or idiappam press?

TIA

Seetha

Page 52 of 98 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast