Page 49 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    pumpkin errissery

this is how my mom makes pumpkin erissery.

cut pumpkin into small pieces. pressure cook this with little water, salt, chilli powder and turmeric. i usually cook it for 1 whistle. once its cooled down, open the cooker and put it in low heat. mash the pumpkin with a spoon.
    grind some grated coconut, 1 or 2 shallots,3-4 pepper and cumin coarsely. Add this to the pumpkin mixture and mix it well. season this with mustard, red chillies and curry leaves. i usually use coconut oil for this. Also, you put some grate coconut in oil and fry it till golden brown and add this to the pumpkin mixture, it will taste really good. but i try to avoid that step as i dont want to use too much oil.

My mother in law adds 1/4 cup tur dal while pressure cooking pumpkin.

Another variation is adding cooked vanpayar(red chori dal) once pumpkin is cooked and do rest of the steps.

for raw banana errirsery

pressure cook 1/4 cup tur dal with little turmeric for one whistle.
    Cut one plantain into small cubes. put this in water mixed with half teaspoon turmeric for ten minutes. Drain and cook the plantain with little turmeric and salt.When almost done add dal and salt and little pepper.

Grind the coconut with cumin and add to the cooked plantains. Let it simmer. Season this with mustard, red chillies and curry leaves.

kavitha, i am sorry, i dont have exact measurements for all these. maybe if you google on erissery, you might get some recepies with exact measurements.

Anju

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks anju. I like to try drumstick errishery. So can i use banana erishery recipe and omitt banana and add murungai kai? sorry for the truble.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry kavitha. i forgot abt that. you can use drumstick instead of banana and follow the same steps. sorry for not giving measurements also. i just follow everything based on the taste. maybe u should refer palakkad thread also. i remember sowmya posting an errissery recepie.

thanks and let me know if you have questions

Anju

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Breaking Coconut

Hi everyone,
    I live in the US and i would like to know if there is a easy way to break coconut . I tried to break in the backyard , but sometimes its very cold to go out. Wondering if hubbers have an easy method to do that

Also which olive oil is good for cooking? Extra virgin or Regular Olive oil?

Thanks
    Gv

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breaking Coconut

Quote Originally Posted by gv
    Hi everyone,
    I live in the US and i would like to know if there is a easy way to break coconut . I tried to break in the backyard , but sometimes its very cold to go out. Wondering if hubbers have an easy method to do that

Also which olive oil is good for cooking? Extra virgin or Regular Olive oil?

Thanks
    Gv
    Do you have a cleaver? Then here is the method of cracking a coconut(including the video!!)
    http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/crackcoc.html
    I think you can use a hammer also.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    we have had elissery w/o onions and dal but as anju says i guess this varies from person and place.

alan, some authentic kerala dishes ask for 1st and 2nd coconut milk which can take a while,but u can still manage some with just ground coconut(which shud not take long i.e. if u get ready shredded coconut ).if u like,u can cook in standard oil and top the dish with only the seasoning in coconut oil and still keep the taste distinct.

regards,
    rain
    Thanks for the tips, rain.

Cocunut milk is used for making Olan, right? I remember aunty saying that- but I didn't like it so much. I prefer Erisshery with rice.

I also like Avial ( a dieter's delight???- lotts of veggies but can't mix with rice-lol!) and Pumpkin Pullingari . She used to make Garlic chammanthi with Pumpkin/mathanga pullingari . Yummy but bad breath! I can have it as long as I am single! lol!

For my friend's birthday, she made 'sadhya' But I personally feel one curry at a time or a maximum of two is better for the palate than sooooooo many dishes.

She made Sambhar, Avial, Kootukari & Stew ( Ishtu) & cabbage toran- Soo many different tastes. It was good anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot anju. Don't worry for the measurements. I can manage to make it without measurement. I make it today and let u know the outcome.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone -- I think Shoba had asked how to store bananas to prevent spotting. I always store them in a brown paper bag, and they stay like that itself for a very long time, sometimes even 2 weeks !! They also ripen very very gradually, so we don't have to rush up and eat before the entire lot rots !! I always buy only the 'Chiquita' bananas, the smaller Indian ones, my kids don't like at all, so never purchase them.
    Just don't store bananas in the fridge or alongwith any other fruit.

Regards,
    Urmi.

Post Thanks / Like
    hello anju,
    tried murungai errisery. Tasted good. Had with rice. Thanks a lot.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am looking out for a (tried & tested) recipe for set dosa..
    Thanx in advance...

Laxmi
    Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long.

Page 49 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast