Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Thanks for the Pizza recipe, Red Pepper! Yes, we do get ready made pizza base. But olive oil- hmmm.........I'll have to find that out
    Olive oil is what the Italians use. It needs to be "extra virgin olive oil". It is added for that real italian taste. Maybe they are using something else in India.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do get Extra Virgin Olive oil in India..Ive seen it in stores like Nilgiris the last time I was there.But they are expensive though :P.

I guess you could substitute some nice canola oil or vegetable oil since they dont have a distinct flavour.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Veg oil is what I have atm.

Rain, what are you saying? Red onions are added to it, no? Anyway, its yummy yummy yum. But the pumpkins need to be really ripe.

Thanks Rain, but I don't like cooking Kerala stuff myself. I hate all those grinding the coconut stuff. Moreover, I feel Kerala food tastes best when cooked in Coconut Oil for that distinct taste!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    We add red onions to mathanga errishery. but my in laws side, they dont. so i guess its different on different parts of kerala. instead of tur dal, if you add van payar ( red chori dal) it also tastes good.

Anju

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Anju,

Tried errishery at friend's house. It was awsome. It has tuvar dhal,mango and drumstick(i am not very sure abt drumstick--i forgot). We had it with puri. It was just fantastic. My husband and me don't like puris that much but that day we had many many number of puris. The errishery was that much good with puri. The friend is a tamil lady only. Have no idea how she made that much tasty.

Okay coming to the point..can you post me the recipe of errishery like the one i mentioned. I will be happy. Thanks in advance.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kavitha,

i dont know about the one you have metioned. never tasted erishery with mango.

we usually use drumstick + tur dal erishery, pumpkin erishery, raw banana + tur dal erishery. there might be other varieties, but these are the ones usually my amma makes at home. i can post the recepies for these. shall post it before evening.

Anju

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is mango dhal & drumstick, it is not "erissheri' anymore. Its called parippu maanga curry . But I don't like it that much. Its again served with rice. But puris????? No idea!
    Btw, was it green mango or ripe mangos?

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks anju. Looking forward.

Its raw mango and murungai kai. And its called erishery and not somethingelse alan.By the way, i guess she prepared murungai kai+dhal errishery but also included mango pieces for her taste?!!!.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kavithasenthil
    Thanks anju. Looking forward.

Its raw mango and murungai kai. And its called erishery and not somethingelse alan.By the way, i guess she prepared murungai kai+dhal errishery but also included mango pieces for her taste?!!!.
    It could be a 'variation of erisseri' then? Not the real erisseri.

Just my two cents.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have had elissery w/o onions and dal but as anju says i guess this varies from person and place.

alan, some authentic kerala dishes ask for 1st and 2nd coconut milk which can take a while,but u can still manage some with just ground coconut(which shud not take long i.e. if u get ready shredded coconut ).if u like,u can cook in standard oil and top the dish with only the seasoning in coconut oil and still keep the taste distinct.

regards,
    rain

Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast