Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan, if this will be of any help to U...

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/recipes/
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Dev. I'll try that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you tell me if its ok to mix Khoya & malai together? I have been making some Khoya (when there was extra milk) , but I put it in the fridge along with Malai. Anyway, I need both for making KajuMasala Kurma.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    RP,

Would be great if you could post the recipe for dal & pumpkin curry & the veg curry... & if possible the squash & broccoli stir fry...
    Dev, I don’t have the measurements here. When I want to try out a new recipe, I want the exact measurements in cups and spoons. But when I give out a recipe, especially if it is Indian, I cannot say the measurements. Not fair, right? But that’s the way I cook Indian!

Dal and pumpkin curry

Toor dal
    Pumpkin(peeled and cubed)
    Small Onion
    Green chilly
    Turmeric powder
    Coconut
    Cumin seeds

Cook dal with turmeric powder. When it is 3/4 done, add the pumpkin pieces and salt, and cook again until the pumpkins are soft and dal is completely cooked. Mash the pumpkins. Grind coconut with cumin seeds, green chilly, and small onion. Add this to the pot and bring to a boil. Tampering - Mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Whole red chilly
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Stir-fried squash is made by high heating a cast iron pan. In hot oil, saute some crushed garlic, don't let it brown. I love garlic in almost everything, you may avoid garlic if you wish. You can add crushed red pepper flakes and onions. Then add sliced squash and salt. I would add some dried oregano or basil too. Fry them with occasional stirring until they are soft and starts to brown.

The stir-fried broccoli in the picture is made by sauteing mustard, onion, garlic, curry leaves, and crushed red pepper flakes in hot oil. Then add turmeric and chopped broccoli with salt and cook until tender. No water added.

I will post the vegetable curry later.

Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Take your time, Pepper. No hurry. I'm trying out stuff on my micro-time's a big constraint for me, esp in the mornings.

So, these days, I have boiled "nenthra pazhams'. They don't make me hungry at all until lunch time!
    Here’s how I make pizza. I sometimes use the readymade pizza base. My friend told that if you ask in the pizza shops like pizza hut, they will sell you the prepared dough. You can just take it home, roll it, add your favorite toppings and bake!! I don’t know if this is possible in India.

All purpose flour - 2 cup
    Yeast - 1 pkg
    Olive oil - 1/8 cup
    Sugar - 1 tsp
    Salt - 1/2 tsp
    Warm water - 3/4 cup

Mix yeast and sugar in a cup. Add 1/4 cup warm water and mix well. It will activate and foam in 5 mts if it is good quality.
    In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, olive oil, 1/2 cup warm water and the yeast mixture. Knead well. You can do this in a food processor if you don't want to get your hands messy. Place the kneaded dough in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise for an hour. After an hour punch down the dough and let it rise another 45 mts. Roll it to desired shape. Transfer it to a pizza stone. Add the toppings of your choice - Tomato sauce/ crushed tomatoes, crushed garlic, mushrooms, peppers, pineapples, red onions, olives. Add the seasoning you like - salt, pepper, basil, oregano. Add cheese - parmesan and mozzarella.
    I bake it at 500 degree preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes.

Since you use microwave, i don't know if you can use the pizza stone in a microwave, or what to use instead.
    I am not sure about the baking time as well. Please check your oven’s manual.

Red Pepper

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RP... Measurements doesn't matter as I always adjust the spices & stuff to my taste when trying out a new recipe...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Pizza recipe, Red Pepper! Yes, we do get ready made pizza base. But olive oil- hmmm.........I'll have to find that out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPepper
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    RP,

Would be great if you could post the recipe for dal & pumpkin curry & the veg curry... & if possible the squash & broccoli stir fry...
    Dev, I don’t have the measurements here. When I want to try out a new recipe, I want the exact measurements in cups and spoons. But when I give out a recipe, especially if it is Indian, I cannot say the measurements. Not fair, right? But that’s the way I cook Indian!

Dal and pumpkin curry

Toor dal
    Pumpkin(peeled and cubed)
    Small Onion
    Green chilly
    Turmeric powder
    Coconut
    Cumin seeds

Cook dal with turmeric powder. When it is 3/4 done, add the pumpkin pieces and salt, and cook again until the pumpkins are soft and dal is completely cooked. Mash the pumpkins. Grind coconut with cumin seeds, green chilly, and small onion. Add this to the pot and bring to a boil. Tampering - Mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Whole red chilly
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Stir-fried squash is made by high heating a cast iron pan. In hot oil, saute some crushed garlic, don't let it brown. I love garlic in almost everything, you may avoid garlic if you wish. You can add crushed red pepper flakes and onions. Then add sliced squash and salt. I would add some dried oregano or basil too. Fry them with occasional stirring until they are soft and starts to brown.

The stir-fried broccoli in the picture is made by sauteing mustard, onion, garlic, curry leaves, and crushed red pepper flakes in hot oil. Then add turmeric and chopped broccoli with salt and cook until tender. No water added.

I will post the vegetable curry later.

Oh yes, I know this one. Its called 'mathanga ellussheri" It tastes yum with rice & greenmango chutney/ Chamanthi is the correct word.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    not quite,'mathanga elisseri', Alan, with the exception of onions and some of other ingredients that go into it. if u enjoy kerala dishes u can also check the palakkad cooking thread,there are some good recipes u may like.

rgds,
    rain

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is mathanga erisseri!!
    Red Pepper

Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast