Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Curd Uppuma and Puli (tamarind) Uppuma have the same texture and appearance as the regular Uppuma, or are they more like kali?

Shoba

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is par boiled rice the same as ponni rice?
    Can we use ponni rice to make idli, dosa ....

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello tomato,
    par boiled rice means pulungal arisi in tamil. Ponni is the name of the rice and it can be raw or par boiled.

In india ppl won't use ponni rice for making idli,dosai. I live in usa and tried ponni rice for making idli and dosai and am getting very good doasi and idli.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

SOS

Hi R,

I picked up SOS recently after reading it here in the forum and it worked good. The plates around the stove were filled with so much stains and grease and I usually used to soak it overnight and scrub it in the morning with knife and all...it was too tiring..When using this SOS I didnt have to soak, just washed the plates normally and the stains came out clean....It worked on really good...

Thanks...
    Anitha

Quote Originally Posted by R
    If you are in US, you can find SOS in american stores in the detergent section-next to scrubs. Basically, it is a stronger scrub than our regular ones. It has soap and metallic wire in it. The name of this scrub is SOS which comes in a box.

Hope this is enough.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurigalu recipe

Does anyone know the recipe of hurigalu, a very common snack among kannadigas. It is a mixture of roated/toasted nuts. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Hai friends,i am padma living in uk.i always have trouble in fermenting idli batter.i tried all possible ways but still it takes oneand half days to ferment.I am really fedup.I even tried baking soda but no use.please help me.bye

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Food SOS - Ask questions here!

Quote Originally Posted by padmaravic
    Hai friends,i am padma living in uk.i always have trouble in fermenting idli batter.i tried all possible ways but still it takes oneand half days to ferment.I am really fedup.I even tried baking soda but no use.please help me.bye
    After mixing the batter with hand for 5 minutes, put it in a warm oven overnite, you don't have to keep the oven on, switch it off after it's warm enough to start frementation, it will do it's work as the oven gets cold once it gets a head start - just make sure the oven's warm and not hot otherwise the batter will start to bake.

Post Thanks / Like
    can anyone tell me the recipe for masala kadalai?

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Readymade Rice Flour

Can we use the readymade rice flour for making Thattai? I am confused that for what are all snacks (murrukku, seedai,etc) we can't use the readymade rice flour.

Please somebody clear my doubts!

Thanks!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Hemant Trived1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Padmaravic,
    Posting from my site,

REASONS FOR IDLY AND DOSAI MAAVU NOT GETTING PROPERLY FERMENTED
    1) Both batters need Bio activity .So if there is not enough bacteria/Fungus/Yeast present in the batter, the maavu will not ferment or will not ferment properly.
    2) If you are using chlorinated, Iodised water or bacteria free water or Ozonized water in your house, you will not be able to get proper fermentation in batter as all these chemicals have residual disinfection property.(except Ozone) .
    3) If the atmospheric temparature is less than 20 degrees, the maavu will not ferment properly and if it ferments, it will take very long time and the quality of Bioactivity will be bad.
    4) If you keep maavu for fermentation in cold place like verendah during nights, the fermentation will be poor.
    5) If you are a stickler for Hygene, you are sure to have a poor fermentation.
    6) If you wash rice and Dhall too much before wet grinding and if you are using safe water, you will have fermentation problem.
    7) I have seen some people using curds or buttermilk to induce fermentation.This is absolutely bad.Lacto Bacillus is a bacteria which does not allow other bacterias to flourish and makes a moonoculture.Hence the fermentation is very different and not proper.
    8) If the water is acidic , the fermentation will be poor.

SURE-FIRE WAYS TO INDUCE FERMENTATION IN IDLY AND DOSAI MAAVU
    1) Use Saved idly batter .(This is the basic rule if you live in cold countries)
    2) Use only common non treated water.(Don't worry, all the Bacterias will die when you steam cook)
    3) After wet grinding, keep the batter in open air near plants or in Balcony for atleast 30 minutes.
    4) Ensure that you keep the batter at an ambient temp. of 25 to 30 degrees.If you live in cold places, use the following trick.
    " Fill up the batter in a shopping bag(thick plastic of white colour only).Tie up the bag loosly and keep it in a bucket full of warm water (30 degrees) when you go to sleep.When you get up in the morning, the fermentation would be complete."
    5) Keep the batter in the preheated oven (and put off) for the night .
    6) Add about an ounce of Lager or a Good Beer to the batter.
    7) Add a quarter slice of bread .
    8) Add little grated cheese .
    9) If you have Chillies with blackened stalk in your fridge, they would induce fine fermentation.
    10) This is the most unfailing method.
    Keep a slice of wetted bread in open near a window for one hour .Crumble it and keep it in warm room or sun for some time.During the evening, add a quarter spoon of crumbled bread to the batter.
    IF ALL THE ABOVE FAIL, ........PLEASE PRAY GOD.!!!!!!!!

HT

Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast