Thread: Deconstructing Jeyamohan

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Deconstructing Jeyamohan

Jeyamohan is one of the pioneering post-modernist writers in Tamil.As in post-modernists view that 'the author is dead', I wud like to dedicate this thread to present our different interpretations of his works.

Have any of you read 'annai', one of his short stories?It is a very intriguiging one.I've been trying very hard to deconstruct it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    atomhouse,

I just read 'annai'. Kanavaa, unmayaa? I can't make out what's the point he is trying to make. Your thoughts?

But it was a great read. Do recommend more such stories.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my view:
    As a mother the woman becomes obsessively attatched to her child.She believes that her child is part of her body & even wonders at its indepedent internal functioning.She extends her connection with its body by suckling.And is it afterall a physical instinct? In her dream she sees a wild pig eating its own piglet without any emotional trauma, even as its other piglets go on suckling.We revere our goddess as a symbol of motherhood, b'coz she protects us all without any discrimination and accepts all as her integral part.Thus, as she(protagonist) walks wearing off her womanhood, towards the temple garbagriha(the womb), she attains the goddess status by assimilating her own child within herself.Even as she walks, her breast milk splatters through the windows and feeds every child and the children smile in their sleep.Also, as she steps into the pedestal, she looks at a mother intoxicated with love for her child and gets very wild & she eats her child as if demonstrating her stand.Thus,maybe this story is about defining universal motherhood.

Wat do you think?

And 'vaaL' is another fantastic story.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like the story, the first part makes sense but the later part.. hmm I'm lost. Let me reread the story and post comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me see. Thanks for good info.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.