Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charities in India and around the world..

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    I guess many would be knowing abt this charity organi called Udavum Karangal... http://www.udavumkarangal.org/

Help can be in the form of cash or kind... ne can sponsor for education, health, food or for other amenities... PPl can also help them by being volunteers... But they have some strict rules for it...

Another org of interest is http://www.saathii.org/about_saathii..._programs.html

SAATHI- Solidarity & Action Against The HIV Infection in India
    http://www.saathii.org/about_saathii..._programs.html
    Dev, tat reminds me- how is the organisation "Sahaya Hastha" run by ur friends doing?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    Jai Hind, Jai Hind Ki Sena
    -Deepak D Karelia
    Bharat Mata Ki Jai
    094272 24993
    Sounds like a political party. I'm sceptical if funds will be properly utilised.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Dev, tat reminds me- how is the organisation "Sahaya Hastha" run by ur friends doing?
    Sahayahastha's progress is bit slow as my friend is doing his Phd... He's very busy with it... Hopefully, things will be rekindled soon...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Sahayahastha's progress is bit slow as my friend is doing his Phd... He's very busy with it... Hopefully, things will be rekindled soon...
    Ohh.....!
    Yea, hope it picks up soon!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vramesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    Jai Hind, Jai Hind Ki Sena
    -Deepak D Karelia
    Bharat Mata Ki Jai
    094272 24993
    Sounds like a political party. I'm sceptical if funds will be properly utilised.
    Ramesh: I do know this guy... he is a bit into all his patriotism and politics but I do know that the funds are being utilised properly...
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the slogan, he doesn't seem to be much of an civilized or educated guy. Does it sound like someone who treats all affected Indians equally and fairly? Sounds more like he will help only those who will be of benefit to his party leader.

Educated people should not be fooled by such newly sprouted mushrooms who use patriotic or emotional blackmail to win support. Let us help reputed and responsible organizations like CRY, Disha, Redcross, Infosys Foundation etc who have a proven record. Only professionally run NGOs can fulfil the purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ramesh: When did education become the requirement for someone who wants to help people? As I said, I know him for years together now and I know he is a guy who fights for the rights of the people who lives in his area/town.

Ramesh coming to the point of helping only reputed organisations, I have to say something. I've supported many organisations by volunteering time and fundraising including udhavum karangal (http://www.udavumkarangal.org/), Asha (http://www.ashanet.org/), APA (http://www.apa.ie/), Special Olympics (www.specialolympics.ie/), Concern (http://www.concern.net/), Ireland vinayaka Temple (http://www.ivt.ie), etc...

A few months ago my mother made me realise that all the above have enough people supporting them, what about the hard working tailor in the end of the street who can't send his children to school or even feed them three square meals a day? Sometimes all these big organisations don't even look at people who want to work hard but needs that tiny bit of extra push to keep them going. People like Deepak are the ones who do that.

Today I spend on the education of a few children in and around home... I have my own way of doing things, I might end each of my sentences with vaazhga vaLamudan or hari om or whatever, does that mean that I am uneducated, or does that mean my intention to help others is not right and I am emotionally blackmailing people!

I have thousand different things to argue with Deepak, I do not agree with whatever he says and I would be one of the first to fight with him if he says something that I feel is not right, but I know him in this case and I know he is not on the wrong here.

Ramesh, I agree that there are loads of organisations that have mushroomed and some of them are not doing what they claim to be doing. and you are right in the fact that we should check where the money is going before spending on something like this. And I guess you didn't exactly mean your words to come out the way it did, but please don't just write off people and organisation that you do not know.

Infact I would suggest, if you know of small organisations that want to go out and help, then go and support them. Most of these small organisations have very little or no overheads and whatever money/support that they get goes to the right people directly.

And last but not the least, I would like to add that if someone has a slogan like Deepak, it doesn't mean that they are not civilized! Every year we have a great laugh when we go to the Indian Ambassador's house for flag hoisting.... There are a few Indian friends of ours who will get all patriotic and shout slogans like Mahatma Gandhi ki jai, ..... (fill in all the Indian leaders here) till the ambassador ask them to stop.... and these are software engineers, doctors, business men who have lived here for nearly 10 years or more!

Do you mean to say that these people are not civilized or educated? They beleive in certain things and are passionate about it that is all, that does not stop them doing what they do perfectly well
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vanavil is the continuation of the efforts that a large group of people started as volunteers in the Tsunami relief. They have a trust of five people but the actual pillars of vanavil are many more.

For more info Check out http://www.vanavil.org/story.html

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anoushka,one of the seroius threads I have seen in Forumhub for a long time.

I hope politics do not rule this thread too.

Since I live in Northern India,I have already decided to buy some greeting cards from CRY and Help Age India.
    "It was the inaction of those who could have acted,the indifference of those who should have known better,the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered the most, that made it possible for evil to triumph"-[Hailey Gabricelassie]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast