Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you translate this stuff into Tamil?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    raikkoken.

thats

aazham parthu kaalai vidu

(vidathE illai )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Bipolar,
    In TN StateBoard syllabus, the TN Textbook society (tamizhnaadu paada nool niruvanam) brings out Tamil books for all the subjects for Tamil medium also. Most of these textbooks have the translation of physics,chemistry, biology terms in Tamil. Still the Tamil medium students score less in these subjects than the Eng medium ones. So translation or learning in your mother tongue is not the issue!
    You cant say it is not an issue..It wont be an issue for a bright tamil medium student but in other way say the student is not that bright then ofcourse it is an issue, if he studies any professional course in the future!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Bipolar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason students of English medium schools do better than students of Tamil medium schools could be that English medium schools have better teaching. If I'm not mistaken, most of the English medium schools in Tamil Nadu are privately funded - so, they can employ better teachers than Government schools, which are not very well funded. Also, in general, most students from upper economic classes go to English medium schools - their parents are probably educated too, so they are better guided by their parents than students at Government schools.

Of course, language is not the only problem - I agree with that, but it is one of the problems - there are other things to be considered too, but language, I feel, is an important matter.

Let me make one thing clear: I have no political motives. I'm not a pro-Tamil idealist. I don't consider Tamil to be superior to any other language. My only wish is to try to make some suggestions to be of help to students who don't speak English. I am not trying to suggest that all students should learn only in Tamil. That would not be a good thing. I feel that if possible - IF POSSIBLE - all students should learn both English and Tamil. The more languages you can speak, the better. But if that is not possible, then at least, important concepts should be taught to students in the language that they understand well. Education is not just about passing exams. It is about knowledge - understanding important concepts. I studied in an English-language school in India. I remember when we were taught Newton's three laws of motion, most of the students knew it by heart. But not many students actually fully understood the importance of it. Newton's laws of motion are important scientific concepts. There are many other very important concepts too - evolution, quantum physics, relativity, calculus, etc... If students don't fully understand these things, they will not be able to apply these concepts properly in the fields of biological or engineering research - there won't be much scientific progress.

That's why I'd like to see someone trying to explain Newton's laws in Tamil (and then I'd like to see someone trying to translate Einstein's and Darwin's theories)... Anyone want to try?

I copied the following from the English language version of Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion

First law: Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless an outside force acts upon them.

Second law: The net force on an object is equal to the product of its mass and its acceleration.

Third law: To every action (force applied) there is an equal and opposite reaction (equal force applied in the opposite direction).

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever we do to bring our languages in subject stream, still people in India will stick to English atleast for Science and Tech studies.
    Many years ago I was working for Govt of India undertaking in NewDelhi. As such govt establishments do every year, they also had a "Hindi week",once, where all employees, especially those hailing form South India are herded for a meeting to emphasize Hindi to be used for all purposes officially. So the next day, I filled out an Accounts form purely using Hindi numerals and using the dates in the Saka Era calendar (govt of india's official calendar). When it went to the Acct section, the clerk (North Indian) came to me "Saab ye kyaa hai", blinking at the Hindi numerals and dates. I promptly took him to the head of accounts and to the "Hindi officer" (all govt dept have a useless guy on this job) and made a hue and cry with the higher management. "Practice what you preach, being North Indians you yourself do not know to read Hindi numerals or to know the Saka dates, why waste samosas on Hindi week".

This is the case everywhere. All the newtons laws listed by you are in 7th class "paadanool" in Tamil!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen tamil medium students struggle to read & write science in tamil.This is b'coz they are less exposed to tamil elsewhere.Many of them don't know what is tamil for 'bucket'.What I mean is we use many english words even for simple things.The students tend to memorize even the tamil terms .They dont bother to find the root of the sci-terms & try to understand it.And writing in tamil the most difficult part for them, b'coz they are not taught tamil properly.So, the solution could be to encourage them to read many tamil story books so that they get exposed to more tamil words & really appreciate it.

You see tamil remains a languauge of the 'learned', even now.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber tfmlover's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    correct me if i am wrong pls
    i thought theermaanithal means - deciding conclusively
    judging usualy mentioned as- edai pOduthal ( e: thappaaka edai Potaan )

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Tamil names of chemical elements

ZIRCOMIUM - வன்தங்கம் - van-thangam - "hard gold" -
    CHLORINE - பாசிகை - origin from moss (paasi) - paasigai
    COBALT - மென்வெள்ளி - men veLLi - "soft silver" -
    NICKEL - வன்வெள்ளி - van veLLi - "hard silver" -
    NITROGEN - இலவணவாயு, ருசரகம் - ilavaNavaayu or rusaragam
    HYDROGEN – நீரியம், நீரசம் - neeriyam, neerasam (from water - neer)
    POTASSIUM - தீமுறி – theemuri – from fire (thee)
    SILICON - மண்ணியம் - maNNiyam - from sand (maN)
    SODIUM - உவர்மம் – uvarmam (uvarppu – saltiness)
    RADIUM - கருகன் - karugan – turns black immediately after being cut after exposure to air
    TUNGSTEN - மெல்லிழையம் - mellizhaiyam -property of making thin filaments - mellizhai -
    URANIUM - அடரியம் - adariam – from adarthi - density (densest metal)
    BROMINE – நெடியம் – nediam – nedi = punjent odour
    CADMIUM – நீலீயம் – neeleeyam – blue lead
    Tantalum – இஞ்சாயம் - injaayam
    XENON – அணுகன் - aNugan
    FLUORINE – வினைவியம் - vinaiviyam - vinai = chemical reaction - Fl is highly reactive
    MAGNESIUM – வல்லகுவம் – vallaguvam – valu + lagu = strong + light
    LITHIUM – மென்னியம் - Mennium – menmai – soft
    Thorium – இடியம் – idiam – idi = thunder = thor
    Iodine நைலம் - nailam
    Platinum வெண்தங்கம் – ven thangam – lighter shade of gold
    Argon – இலியன் – iliyan – from seyal ili (inactive)
    GALLIUM – மென்தங்கம் – men thangam – soft gold (liquid is vast temperature range, gold colour)
    ALUMINIUM – அளமியம் – alamiyam – from aLam = salt pan
    Rubidium – அர்மிமம் – armimam
    Rhodium – அரத்தியம் – arathiyam – rose
    Dysprosium – அரியம் – ariyam – (rareness)

Anthanum – அருங்கனியம் – arunganiyam (rareness)
    Neodymium – இரட்டியம் - irattiyam
    Antimony கருநிமிளை, அஞ்சனம்
    HELIUM – எல்லியம் -
    Iridium – உறுதியம் – uRudhiyam – uRudhi = toughness
    Sulphur கந்தகம் - kandhagam
    Calcium - சுண்ணம் – chuNNam – from chuNNaambu - limestone
    Iron இரும்பு
    Copper தாமிரம், செம்பு, செப்பு – thaamiram, chembu, cheppu – all three are ancient names for Copper
    Zinc துத்தநாகம் – thuthunaagam
    Arsenic பிறாக்காண்டம் - piRakkaaNDam
    Bismuth அம்பரை, நிமிளை, மதுர்ச்சி – ambarai, nimiLai, madhurchchi
    MERCURY – பாதரசம், இதரம் - paadharasam, idharam
    Lawrencium – இலாரன்சியம் – ilaaransiyam (by Name)
    Ruthenium – உருத்தீனியம் – uruththeenam (name of Lake)
    Illinium – இல்லினியம் – illiniyam (Illinois)
    Ytterbium – இத்தெர்பியம்
    Rhenium – இரினியம் – iriniyam (Name of Lake)

RADON - ஆரகன் : aaragan (aaram = radius)

TITANIUM – வெண்வெள்ளி - venveLLi (light silver)

Plutonium – அயலாம் – ayalaam (far away—in periodic table)

Potassium – மெழுகியம் – mezhugiyam (mezhugu —wax; wax-like appearance)

Post Thanks / Like

TAMIL NAMES OF CHEMICAL ELEMENTS

TAMIL NAMES OF CHEMICAL ELEMENTS

Senior Member Senior Hubber temporary sori-Observer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tamil names of chemical elements

Quote Originally Posted by sivagaandhan
    Sivagaandhi,

The name Radon is because of its radioactivity, and it is created from Radium.
    Rad, radius, aaram, aaragam ippadi ellaam konjam uNarchchi vasap pattutteengalE!
    Ethu nadakkumO athu nanRaagavE nadakkum.

Post Thanks / Like
    அன்புள்ள அய்யா அவர்ளே,

இப்பெயரை அவ்வாறு நான் சூட்டவில்லை. இணையத்தில் அவ்வாறு புழக்கத்தில் காணலாம்.

நன்றி.
    http://geocities.com/tamildictionary

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast