Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: living being, living (human) being.

Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar
    வாழும் உயிர்க்கு

மன்னும் உயிர்க்கு

நிச்சயம் வேறுபாடு உண்டு....

living being என்று இரண்டு இடத்திலும் exact பொருள் தராது...

ஆனால் 'வாழும் மனித உயிர்க்கு' என்ற பொருள் இரண்டு இடத்திலுமே பொருத்தம்
    living being ±ýÚ ±ùÅ¢¼ò¾¢ø ¦À¡ÕûÀÎõ; ±íÌ «í¹Éõ ¦À¡ÕûÀ¼¡Ð? ¿£í¸û ¦º¡øŨ¾ô ÒâóЦ¸¡ûÇ ÓÂüº¢ ¦ºö¸¢ý§Èý.
    Å¡Øõ ÁÉ¢¾ ¯Â¢÷ ±ýÚ ®Ã¢¼í¸Ç¢Öõ ¦À¡Õû¾Õõ ±ý¸¢È£÷¸û. «ôÀÊ¡ɡø living being ±ýÚ ¦À¡ÕûÜÈôÀð¼ þ¼í¸Ç¢ø, «Ð Å¡Øõ ÁÉ¢¾ ¯Â¢÷¸û ±ýÚ ¦À¡ÕûÀ¼¡¾¡? living being ±ýÀÐ ±í¦¸íÌ Å¢Äí̸¨Çì ÌȢ츢ÈÐ?
    "Å¡Øõ/ ÁýÛõ ¯Â¢÷" ±ýÉ¡Áø, ¦ÅÈ¢§¾ ¯Â¢÷ ±ýÚÁðÎõ À¡Ê þ¼í¸Ç¢ø, Å¡Æ¡¾, ÁýÉ¡¾, þÈ󦾡Ƣó¾, «Æ¢óЧÀ¡É ¯Â¢÷¸¨ÇÔõ ¯ûǼì̧Á¡? þó¾ ³Âò¨¾Ôõ §À¡ì¸§ÅñÎÁ¡öì §¸ðÎ즸¡û¸¢§Èý. §ÅÚ ¯ð¦À¡Õû ¯ûǾ¡ ±ýÀ¨¾Ôõ ¦¾Ã¢Å¢Ôí¸û.

¯í¸û ¦¾Ç¢¨Å ¡Ûõ ¦ÀÈ ¯¾Å§ÅñÎõ. ¿ýÈ¢.

All I meant was 'living human being' although not an exactmeaning but a suitable substitute... in those TWO couplets alone...

190. ஏதிலார் குற்றம்போல் தங்குற்றங் காண்கிற்பின்
    தீதுண்டோ மன்னும் உயிர்க்கு.

See also Translation :
    If each his own, as neighbours' faults would scan,
    Could any evil hap to living man?

±ñ¦½ýÀ ²¨É ±Øò¦¾ýÀ þùÅ¢ÃñÎõ
    ¸ñ¦½ýÀ Å¡Ø Ó¢÷ìÌ.

®¾ Ä¢¨ºÀ¼ Å¡ú¾ ÄÐÅøÄ
    ྡྷ Á¢ø¨Ä ¯Â¢÷ìÌ.

þò¾¢Èò¾É þýÛõ º¢ÄÅü¨È ¿£í¸û ±ÎòÐ Óý¨Å츧ÅñÎõ.

¯Â¢÷ìÌ, Å¡ØÓ¢÷ìÌ, ÁýÛõ ¯Â¢÷ìÌ, ÁýÛ¢÷ìÌ, --- þÅüÚð §À¡ó¾ §ÅÚÀ¡Î¸û ¡¨Å?

þÅüÚû, Å¡Øõ, ÁýÛõ, Áý ±øÄ¡Óõ «ôÒÈôÀÎò¾¢Å¢ðÎì ÌȨǧ¡¾¢ý, «¾É¡ø Å¢¨Çó¾ ¦À¡Õð§¸Î ¡Ð? «øÄÐ þ¨Å ¬ñÎò ¾ó¾ ¦À¡Õðº¢ÈôÒ Â¡Ð?
    all this came up into reasoning behind 'mannum uyirkku' means what?: living man? as it was translated by Rev.
    and this was only for that purpose... See also these kurals for further study on மன்னுயிர்...

உங்கள் தேடல் மன்னுயிர் என்ற சொல்லுக்கு கிடைத்த குறள்(கள்) :5 (0.009 நொடிகள்)
    அறத்துப்பால்

புதல்வரைப் பெறுதல்

தம்மின்தம் மக்கள் அறிவுடைமை மாநிலத்து
    மன்னுயிர்க் கெல்லாம் இனிது.
    அருளுடைமை

மன்னுயிர் ஓம்பி அருளாள்வார்க்கு இல்லென்ப
    தன்னுயிர் அஞ்சும் வினை.
    இன்னாசெய்யாமை

தன்னுயிர்ககு ஏன்னாமை தானறிவான் என்கொலோ
    மன்னுயிர்க்கு இன்னா செயல்.
    பொருட்பால்

சிற்றினஞ்சேராமை

மனநலம் மன்னுயிர்க் காக்கம் இனநலம்
    எல்லாப் புகழும் தரும்.
    காமத்துப்பால்

படர்மெலிந்திரங்கல்

மன்னுயிர் எல்லாம் துயிற்றி அளித்திரா
    என்னல்லது இல்லை துணை.

in the above kurals we have got scope to find/study about whether all of the above refers to human being or what?

still I need to emphasise here that I am not an expert but a learner...
    [/b]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kindly proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by sar
    திரு bismala அவர்களே,

உங்கள் விளக்கமெல்லாம் சரி... ஆனால் ஒன்றைமட்டும் முதலில் விளக்கி விட்டு மேலே தொடர்ந்து செல்வோம்...

மன்னர்க்கு மன்னுதல் செங்கோன்மை அஃதின்றேல்
    மன்னாவாம் மன்னர்க் கொளி.

இதில் வரும் மன்னர் மன்னாவாம் என்னும் சொற்கள் நீங்கள் கூறிய எந்த 'மன்' தொடர்புடையது என்று நாம் தெளிவித்துக் கொண்டு மேலே செல்லலாம் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்...

நன்றி...
    O yes thiru sar avl: please proceed to enlighten us as you intend before proceeding further. I have no objections whatsoever. I am ( I believe - others too) very keen to listen to what you have to say.

நன்னா விளக்குங்கோ!
    திரு bismala அவர்களே,

the reason behind i raised this question has got much relevance to your description of மன்1 & மன்2... as i can vaguely remember you saying that

மன்1 derives to மன்னன்.. (noun)
    மன்2 derives to மன்னுதல... (verb)

but மன்னன் seems to have related to மன்னுதல.. that is why I wanted to clarify this first before getting to discussion further deeply...

I kindly clarify that I am not here for challenging with my little knowledge but for better understanding...

thanks for your understanding..

Sar

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kindly proceed.

திரு bismala அவர்களே,

உங்கள் விளக்கமெல்லாம் சரி... ஆனால் ஒன்றைமட்டும் முதலில் விளக்கி விட்டு மேலே தொடர்ந்து செல்வோம்...

மன்னர்க்கு மன்னுதல் செங்கோன்மை அஃதின்றேல்
    மன்னாவாம் மன்னர்க் கொளி.

இதில் வரும் மன்னர் மன்னாவாம் என்னும் சொற்கள் நீங்கள் கூறிய எந்த 'மன்' தொடர்புடையது என்று நாம் தெளிவித்துக் கொண்டு மேலே செல்லலாம் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்...

நன்றி...
    O yes thiru sar avl: please proceed to enlighten us as you intend before proceeding further. I have no objections whatsoever. I am ( I believe - others too) very keen to listen to what you have to say.

நன்னா விளக்குங்கோ!
    திரு bismala அவர்களே,

the reason behind i raised this question has got much relevance to your description of மன்1 & மன்2... as i can vaguely remember you saying that

மன்1 derives to மன்னன்.. (noun)
    மன்2 derives to மன்னுதல... (verb)

but மன்னன் seems to have related to மன்னுதல.. that is why I wanted to clarify this first before getting to discussion further deeply...

I kindly clarify that I am not here for challenging with my little knowledge but for better understanding...

thanks for your understanding..

Sar
    Oops! I was thinking you were going to explain something.
    I seem to have read you wrongly.

Now thiru Sar avarkaLE, மன்1 does not derive to மன்னன்.
    மன்2 > மன்னுதல்., சரி

நன்றி.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

clarifying... of மன்1 and &

Thiru selvi Bismala avargale...

மன்னுயிர் = நிலை பெற்ற உயிர்

மன்னன் = நிலை பெற்றவன்

என்று தாங்கள் கூறியது தானே? இல்லை... அல்லது கூற்றை வாபஸ் வாங்கி மறுக்கிறீர்களா? என்னவென்பது சரியாகப் புரியவில்லையே...

firstly, I thought, let us make this clarification first before getting me involved in understanding of your description regarding discerning of மன்1 and மன்2...

hope you understand better where I am coming from now? Am I mistaken...if then please help...much thanks for patience

Post Thanks / Like

Re: manithan, maanthan, mannuyir, mannutal, munnutal

Dear thiruselvi Bismala,

what would be the meaning மன்னுதல்? To mind? (மனம்) To rule? மன்னன்) To Value/estimate/respect? (மானம், மதி)

நான் இதைக் கேட்க நினைத்த பொழுது உங்கள் இடுகையையும் படிக்க நேர்ந்தேன்...
    மன் > மன்+இது+அன் = மனிதன்.
    மன் > மன்+ தன் = மாந்தன். (முதலெழுத்து நீண்டது),
    மன் > மன்னுயிர். = உலக மாந்தர். "மன்னுயிர்க் கெல்லாம் இனிது" என்ற வள்ளுவத் தொடர் காண்க
    இவை மன்னுதல் தொடர்புடையதைப் போல் 'மன்றம்' என்பதும் இதனுடன் தொடர்புடையது தானே அல்லவா?

ஆனால் இவை எல்லாத்துடன் பொருள் தொடர்பு பற்றி யோசிக்கத் தக்கது...

மன்னுதல் according to dictionary means:

1. To be permanent; to endure; 2. To remain long; to stay; 3. To agree;
    4. To persevere; 5.To be steady; 6. To abound; 1. To go near, approach;
    2. To pull or tuck up one's clothes, as in crossing a river;
    Dear Sar. According to research, this root word "man" (Áý) was derived from mun (Óý) > ÓýÛ¾ø, which means to think. Thus man ( Óý > Áý > ÁÉ¢¾ý ) is a thinking being or entity. This is according the pattern of change ¯>«. In my post which you have cited, I did not refer to this root of man (Áý).

However commentators have interpreted ÁýÛ¢÷ as ¿¢¨Ä¦ÀüÈ
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ¯Â¢÷¸û. Thus you may also point to ÁýÛ¾ø as the root. It is also a
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    possible derivation.
    -------------------

ÁÉõ ±ýÈ ¦º¡øÖõ ÓýÛ¾ø ±ýÈ ¦º¡øÄ¢ý ¾¢Ã¢À¡¸¢Â Áý ±ýÀ¾¢É¢ýÚõ «¨ÁÂô¦Àüȧ¾.

ÓýÛ¾ø = º¢ó¾¢ò¾ø, ±ñϾø.

Óý > ÓýÛ¾ø (Å¢¨É¡ø).

þ¾ý «Ê Óý ±ýÀ§¾.

Óý > Áý > ÁÉõ.
    Óý > ÓÉ¢ > ÓÉ¢Åý. º¢ó¾¢ôÀÅý, (includes meditating which is a form of intense thinking)

ÓÉ¢×+«ý = ÓÉ¢Åý ±ýÀ¡Õõ ¯Ç÷.
    ÁýÈõ ±ýÀÐ §ÅÚ.
    ÁýÚ > ÁýÚ¾ø. (¬û ) Üξø.
    ÁýÚ + «õ = ÁýÈõ.
    Á¡ý > Á¡Û¾ø. (´ò¾ø, «Ç×. Á¾¢ôÀ£Î ±É¢ÛÁ¡õ)
    Á¡Û(¾ø) > Á¡Éõ.

ÁýÉý = ¿¢¨Ä¦ÀüÈÅÉ¡ö ¬ûÀÅý. The Crown never dies ±ýÈ ¬í¸¢Ä ¯¨Ã¨ÂÔõ §¿¡ì̸. It is said that a mystical aura surrounds the Sovereign.
    Thiru Sar,

Please read my message carefully. I said commentators have
    interpreted ( differently from me - in other words). These commentators are kuRaL commentators, not etymologists. I cannot stop anyone from interpreting as they did. I do not subscribe to such view. I just cite it in my post as the view of others. The view does not therefore become mine.

I always cite even views opposed to mine if I am aware of such views,
    In etymology, we often have to take note of the view of others too. If I feel strongly against the other view (opposed to mine or different from mine) then there may be a case to refute it outright. Most ancient writers and modern writers on literary topics do so. Such approach is good and it permits readers to judge for themselves.

There is therefore nothing to withdraw. I still say that others have said it but it is not my view or the result of my own research or analysis.

I assume you have got it right now.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Benny Lava's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any other root word for Star in Tamil apart from ViNmeen (விண்மீன்)

I am curious to know which would be the original root word for Star in tamil.

Natchathiram - the phonetics suggest that the root word could be from Sanskrit.

Vinmeen is a composite word (ViN + Meen) and I doubt that it could be the root word for something as elementary as Star (for e.g, Nila is a word on its own)

I might be missing some obvious word here, it is just not striking my head at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clarifying... of மன்1 and

Thiru selvi Bismala avargale...

மன்னுயிர் = நிலை பெற்ற உயிர்

மன்னன் = நிலை பெற்றவன்

என்று தாங்கள் கூறியது தானே? இல்லை... அல்லது கூற்றை வாபஸ் வாங்கி மறுக்கிறீர்களா? என்னவென்பது சரியாகப் புரியவில்லையே...

firstly, I thought, let us make this clarification first before getting me involved in understanding of your description regarding discerning of மன்1 and மன்2...

hope you understand better where I am coming from now? Am I mistaken...if then please help...much thanks for patience
    Thiru Sar avl,

Please read my post supra. Page 7.

From this point onwards whenever I cite the views of others so indicated, you are to read it as views of others known to me and therefore made known to you by me as a bonus knowledge for you now as a true forum friend (which I am or others are not obliged to, strictly). I always aim to get my readers a balanced view from my posts. . Many authors and writers too do so.

Reporting on the existence of a certain conclusion or view is not to be taken as the writer's own view unless it is expressly so stated. . "Other commentators have said....." These words mean I am not saying or proposing it, merely reporting it. By the words: "Other commentators....et all" I have clearly dissociated myself from the view that followed.. To crown it further, I have given in that post my own preferred view.

Diacritical phrases in the posts such as for example " என்பாரும் உளர்" "It has been variously rendered as...." "Others have stated..." &c draw a clear distinction as to others being at variance with the writer. I will continue to write on such variances where necessary or for clarification.

As you would be reading my posts - I believe regularly from now - it is necessary to make clear how my writings should be read or interpreted. Among other reasons, I have to say that I do not always render a long explanation of each word development instance I write on. Thus the necessity for this post.

I hope it is now clear. thiru Sar.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Post Thanks / Like

star

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava
    Is there any other root word for Star in Tamil apart from ViNmeen (விண்மீன்)

I am curious to know which would be the original root word for Star in tamil.

Natchathiram - the phonetics suggest that the root word could be from Sanskrit.

Vinmeen is a composite word (ViN + Meen) and I doubt that it could be the root word for something as elementary as Star (for e.g, Nila is a word on its own)

I might be missing some obvious word here, it is just not striking my head at the moment.
    Briefly:

மின் > மின்னுதல்
    மின் > மீன் (இது முதனிலை திரிந்த தொழிற்பெயர்).

எனவே, மின்னுதலை உடையது மீன் எனப்பட்டது.

To distinguish it from the other மீன் from the sea, you have qualifying words such as விண், வான் added to it.

Thus we have:

விண்மீன், வான்மீன்.

In Tamil, we have another word:

நகுதல் = ஒளிவிடுதல்..
    நகு > நகு+அம் +திரம் > நக்கத்திரம்.* meaning star.
    Compare: பகு+அம் = பக்கம். இங்கு ககரம் இரட்டித்தது.

அம் மற்றும் திரம் are suffixes.

* Consult: புறநானூற்றுச் சொற்பொழிவுகள்(1952), தென்னிந்திய சைவ சித்தாந்த நூற்பதிப்புக் கழகம்.

The word nakshattiram occurs in both Tamil and Sanskrit.
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thus we have:

விண்மீன், வான்மீன்.

In Tamil, we have another word:

நகுதல் = ஒளிவிடுதல்..
    நகு > நகு+அம் +திரம் > நக்கத்திரம்.* meaning star.
    Compare: பகு+அம் = பக்கம். இங்கு ககரம் இரட்டித்தது.

அம் மற்றும் திரம் are suffixes.

* Consult: புறநானூற்றுச் சொற்பொழிவுகள்(1952), தென்னிந்திய சைவ சித்தாந்த நூற்பதிப்புக் கழகம்.

nice explanation of etymology of natchaththiram...

now I am dragging you back to மன் from மீன்....

Please read my message carefully. I said commentators have
    interpreted ( differently from me - in other words). These commentators are kuRaL commentators, not etymologists. I cannot stop anyone from interpreting as they did. I do not subscribe to such view. I just cite it in my post as the view of others. The view does not therefore become mine.

Diacritical phrases in the posts such as for example " என்பாரும் உளர்" "It has been variously rendered as...." "Others have stated..." &c draw a clear distinction as to others being at variance with the writer. I will continue to write on such variances where necessary or for clarification.
    very thanks and well..thiru Bismala... Now my second point of clarification of derivation...

மன்1 > மன்+இது+அன் = மனிதன்.
    மன்1 > மன்+ தன் = மாந்தன். (முதலெழுத்து நீண்டது),
    மன்1 > மன்னுயிர் = உலக மாந்தர்

mun>man1 : Mantiram has many meanings, the word having acquired these meanings with the passage of time. My posting does not mean that mun>man1 is the root for all such word-meanings......

மன்2 > மன்னுதல் - This man2 and mannutal does not include any thinking or mind process.

மன்1 does not derive to மன்னன்
    now, from the above, my interpretation requiring clarification:

Are you telling that man2 (which is not from mun) derives to மன்னன்

how well would you discern the meanings between the phraese மன்னுயிர் (from man1) and மன்னும் உயிர் (from man 2?)...

(I actually beleived that there is similarity (with differential meanings though) between these phrases as I highlighted with 'exhibition' - eye view (kaN-Kaatchi) - and 'viewing show' (KaNum-Kaatchi)....But yes... I understand that there is a difference in opinion with you but I would also suggest that please explain and share your opinion in a more clarified manner... )

thanks with appreciation of your understanding...Saer

Post Thanks / Like
    nice explanation of etymology of natchaththiram...

now I am dragging you back to மன் from மீன்....

----------------------
    very thanks and well..thiru Bismala... Now my second point of clarification of derivation...

மன்1 > மன்+இது+அன் = மனிதன்.
    மன்1 > மன்+ தன் = மாந்தன். (முதலெழுத்து நீண்டது),
    மன்1 > மன்னுயிர் = உலக மாந்தர்

மன்2 > மன்னுதல் - This man2 and mannutal does not include any thinking or mind process.
    மன்1 does not derive to மன்னன்
    now, from the above, my interpretation requiring clarification:

Are you telling that man2 (which is not from mun) derives to மன்னன்

how well would you discern the meanings between the phraese மன்னுயிர் (from man1) and மன்னும் உயிர் (from man 2?)...

...Saer
    Thiru Sar,

My original post which you happened to read and on which all other current discussions ensued, does not contemplate the research into the word mannan. (மன்னன்).

Though I said மன்னுயிர் is from (man1), please cite and reproduce the post where it is said (by me) மன்னும் உயிர் (is) from man 2.. You may have focused on a particular post or a point which I have not; it will be helpful if you just reproduce it to save search time.

Thank you thiru Sar avl .
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast