Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TAMIL W0RD DEVELOPMENT

Hybrid View

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

TAMIL W0RD DEVELOPMENT

The purpose of this thread is to illustrate to those interested how words developed in Tamil.

We shall consider how the word "kaththi" (knife) developed. But before that, there are some preliminary matters.

Humans used stone as cutting instrument in the very olden days, before the advent of the iron age when humans made iron tools.

Let's look at the position in the Indo-European family of languages as it will broaden our research and knowledge.

Latin: secare (to cut) :: saxum (a stone).

seax (OE) - a knife.

The above words show that early man used stones as cutting instrument.
    ]
    In Tamil, we have the word "kaththi".

In the very old days, long long before Tolkappiyam was ever written, this word "kaththi" should have been in the form: "kalthi" . kal means stone. thi is the suffix. It later dropped its "l" and became kaththi.

If you use the "puNarchi" rules of grammar, it should be kal+thi = kaRRi. Such rule had not yet been formulated as yet when the word kaththi was formed or it was not followed, as it occurred in other words too. We shall reserve such examples for the time being.

Thus you have kal > kaththi, a knife, the root being "kal".

Word formation in Tamil appears to be similar to the Indo-European languages.

Notes:

update on 2.10.2010:

Anthropologists have postulated, in a classic work on European ethnology, that the modern day Basque people of the Pyrenees Mountains (northern Spain/southern France) speak a language inherited directly from Cro-Magnon Man (Ripley, 1899).The Basque (Euskara) word for knife means literally "stone that cuts,"
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    bis_mala,

A very good topic!! Thank you!

I was searching on the net to see if there are any sites that have the etymology for Thamizh words but did not run into any so far. Your post will be the first I have run into. Would you be able to tell us where the word "suththiyal" (i.e. hammer) came from? Thanks again!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    iraamaki has explained the roots of many words. So if you want the etymology of a word, try googling for the word in unicode along with site:valavu.blogspot.com.

eg., கருவம் site:valavu.blogspot.com

Senior Member Regular Hubber NVK Ashraf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Etymology is always an interesting topic for discussion. I have the following book with me, where the author gives interesting piece of information on the origin many Tamil words:

Words and their significance & Tamil, literary and colloquial. University of Madras, 1974, Madras University Tamil Department series ; no. 35.

More later.
    Cling to the One Who clings to nothing

Post Thanks / Like

vEdam

வேடு > வேடம்.

பானைக்கு வேடு கட்டுதல் என்று ஒரு பேச்சுவழக்கு இருப்பதை அறிகிறேன். பானை வாயை துணிகொண்டு கட்டி மூடிவிடுதலை இது குறிக்கிறது.

வேடு என்ற சொல்லும் வேய் (வேய்தல்) என்பதனோடு தொடர்புடைய சொல்லே. இதை சொன்னூல் முறையில் வேண்டுமானால் காட்டலாம்.

வேடு > வேடம். (துணியினால் அல்லது வேறு பொருட்களால் மூடிக்கொள்ளுதல் அல்லது புனைந்துகொள்ளுதலைக் குறிப்பது.)

இதை வேடம் என்றே எழுதுதல் வேண்டும்.

reposted in unicode 17.9.2010
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    நல்ல திரி.
    சமீபகால பத்திரிக்கைகளிலும்,பிற இலக்கியவாதிகளும் நிறைய மரபுப்பிழைகளை செய்கிறார்கள்.அவற்றுள் 'கோவை' எனும் சொல்லை 'கோர்வை' என எழுதுவது முதன்மையானதாகவும்,repeated-ஆகவும் உள்ளமை காண்க.
    தொன்மையான செய்யுட்களில் கோவை என்ற சொல் இடம்பெறுகிறது.anthology என்பதன் தமிழ்ப்பதம்.
    உதாரணம்:நித்திலக்கோவை,மும்மணிக்கோவை.

Post Thanks / Like

nalla thamiz

Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA
    //நல்ல திரி.
    சமீபகால பத்திரிக்கைகளிலும்,பிற இலக்கியவாதிகளும் நிறைய மரபுப்பிழைகளை செய்கிறார்கள்.அவற்றுள் 'கோவை' எனும் சொல்லை 'கோர்வை' என எழுதுவது முதன்மையானதாகவும்,repeated-ஆகவும் உள்ளமை காண்க.
    தொன்மையான செய்யுட்களில் கோவை என்ற சொல் இடம்பெறுகிறது.anthology என்பதன் தமிழ்ப்பதம்.
    உதாரணம்:நித்திலக்கோவை,மும்மணிக்கோவை.//

உண்மைதான்.

"கோர்வை, முயற்சிப்பது" என்பவெல்லாம் பிழைகள் என்பதில் ஐயமில்லை.
    தாளிகைத் துறையில் வேலைபார்க்கும் ஒரு நண்பரிடம் இதுபற்றிப் பேசிக்கொண்டிருந்தேன். அவர் சொல்கிறார்: கோவை என்று எழுதினால் மக்களுக்குப் புரியாது, முயலுதல் என்றால் முயலைப்பற்றிய எண்ணம் வந்துவிடுகிறது என்று! -- சொல்லிப் புன்னகை வேறு புரிந்தார். அவர்கள் ஒப்புக்கொள்ளமாட்டார்கள் போலிருக்கின்றது. நாம் நல்லதமிழ் பயில்வோம்[/quote]
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TAMIL W0RD DEVELOPMENT

Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala
    If you use the "puNarchi" rules of grammar, it should be kal+thi = kaRRi. Such rule had not yet been formulated as yet when the word kaththi was formed or it was not followed, as it occurred in other words too.
    So, you mean grammar was first formulated and then based on that we started forming words?That is tholkappiyam was written even before any other literary ventures?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TAMIL W0RD DEVELOPMENT

Quote Originally Posted by atomhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by bis_mala
    If you use the "puNarchi" rules of grammar, it should be kal+thi = kaRRi. Such rule had not yet been formulated as yet when the word kaththi was formed or it was not followed, as it occurred in other words too.
    So, you mean grammar was first formulated and then based on that we started forming words?That is tholkappiyam was written even before any other literary ventures?
    How did you elicit that meaning you are putting foward in your question?
    B.I. Sivamaalaa (Ms)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you were saying, maybe the rules of grammar was not followed when the word came into use,I was wondering if we really formulated grammar first.Now, I could clearly see I got it wrong.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast