Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake (8.7) on Indonesia again

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Earthquake (8.7) on Indonesia again

Official: 50 dead on island after quake

If you know anyone in Tamilnadu/Srilanka's coast, ask them to watch the news and be ready to go on some high-lying area on short notice..There is no report on Tsunami yet..
    ippadiku,
    -Prabu

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    The toll in Indonesia of the new earthquake is now at 300

In Thailand, thousands of people in the six provinces affected by the December 26 tsunami moved to higher ground or 2 kilometers (1.25 miles) inland, the governor of Phang Nga province said.

In India, the government issued a tsunami alert for the coastal areas, as well as the islands of Andaman and the southern state of Chennai, where officials advised residents to move inland at least a third of a mile.

Sri Lanka also issued a warning that the earthquake could spawn a tsunami that would reach Sri Lanka's shores by about 3 a.m. Tuesday (4 p.m. ET Monday) and urged those living in low lying areas to move to higher ground. There was no indication anything had happened by that time.

Some of the countries have already taken back the tsunami warning
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi !

From the early hours... after the tsunami alert in the TVs., people in the sea shore in chennai are moving inside the city.. though nothing has happened in any of the coastal areas here..

Hope this will settle down after some time..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep,India & Srilanka has withdrawn tsunami warning already... & they say there was a mild tsunami at Cocos island...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indonesia's Nias island has been hit hardly by the quake and the death toll has gone up to 2000

We first heard the news of the quake around 12.00 midnight (i was asleep at that time) and we had to evacuate to a high land area as we live close to the sea. We left for a friend's place immediately and got back home around 6.30 in the morning after the government withdrew its tsunami alert.

This is going to be a never ending pain !

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Roshan,

Where do U live pa?...wherever U r ,be watchful guys...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dev
    Hey Roshan,

Where do U live pa?...wherever U r ,be watchful guys...
    I live in Colombo - Sri Lanka .

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Indians have responded well to the threat this time.
    The military has been kept on high alert and senior cabinet ministers and disaster management committee monitored the situation throughout the night.Thousands of people were evacuated within hours of the earthquake.The Prime minister himself spoke to the CM's of the Southern states.I saw this morning on TV that though the Tsunami warning was withdrawn this morning,the district administrations had prepared basic facilities inluding breakfast for the people evacated in Kerala.

CNN said this morning that India was in the " highest state of preparedness ".Probably we learned some lessons from the Dec 26 disaster.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i feel sorry for the peopl eof Indonesia. The two big plates of the indian ocean are unstable still. The subduction of the Indian/Andaman plate with the asian plate is continuing still. I read reports in www.thatstamil.com that sea water receded in mamallapuram beach area. This could mean a huge displacement of water inside the sea. Inspite of this luckily for us in the bay of bengal, no tsunamis were generated for two reasons.
    1. The epicentre of the quake was on the eastern side of sumatra Island and therefore the open water for tsunami to propagate was not available(The other side is immediately locked by malay peninsula).

2. The actual earthquake itself was 30 KM inside earth's surface, so much of the energy was dissipated by earth's outer surface.

I hope that Indonesian people get all the aid and comfort that we can muster in quick time. I also hope that scientific community would devote more time in detection of eartquakes atleast now.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes

I hope that Indonesian people get all the aid and comfort that we can muster in quick time. I also hope that scientific community would devote more time in detection of eartquakes atleast now.
    Yes hopefully the aid sent previously is still enough to help out those affected now...it's so tragic that we have just got over one and another one has struck...and this im saying all the way over here....stay strong Roshan and take care please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast