Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Is tamil derived from Sanskrit

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Tamil derived from Sanskrit?

Thiru Nedunchezhiyan

//I have heard of a name 'kadAram' I am not sure which part..but a country in South East Asia, I suppose?//

"KADAARAM" is the present day BURMA, which country was won over and taken possession by Raja Raja Chozhan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Nedunchezhiyan,

//...since a river is formed by many rain drops that fall on the mountain which eventually falls off the mountain (aruththukkondu vatum aAthalAl athai aruvi (atuvi) entru azhaippAr) as a water fall then flows as a river.

aAru: aadi aadi povathalA aAru? (katuththai maranthittaen Sad)//

Not so.... ARu = Way , Route, Way of a Rivulet..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae!

Thank you for explaining the word 'kauvery' root. Also for your explanation on "kapaadapuram."

Would you please explain the root of the words 'UththamaN' and "uthAraNam" (if they are Thamizh and if they aren't Thamizh words then their 'foreign' words then their roots).

I am having trouble convincing some people here about Thamizh words that we discuss in this forum. They seem to stand strong on the point that 'foreign' etymologists don't accept it and that we can't seem to convince others that these words like "Vithavai; Viduvai" etc as Thamizh root word. They say that Sanskirit has the root or the explanation of such words hence we can't seem to convince foreigners regarding that. Did Thevaneyap Pavanaar explained about these things? Oh and some people say Thevaneyap Pavanaar work is available to all now...anyway please help me convince them. They say its possible but we can't prove it etc...

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Geno AvargaLae

I came to know the meaning of pahruLi through a Teacher of mine. The definitions for aAru, Atuvi, nathi that I posted above were things that I came to know 2-3 years ago when a fellow Thamizhar paid a visit to Canada who was literated in Thamizh and explained these couple of words in his speech (which wasn't about Thamizh literature or anything deep into Thamizh language).

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Srinivasan avargaLae!

I forgot the explanation that was given by this Thamizhar regarding the words 'aAru.' However I have managed to keep the explanations of the words 'atuvi' and 'nathi' given by him in my memory. I believe he said that 'aAru' came from the facts....

'aAdi aAdip povAthAl' allathu 'asainthu asainthu povAthal'

I am still not sure if thats what he said. I consulted with someone regarding this...but he also seem to have forgot. Hopefully Thiru A P MASILMANI here or someone will give the definition of the word 'aaru.'

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Thamizanbar Geno avarkale!!

It is an enormous job really to search Sangam literature and I will take note of this important question and keep an eye for the use of the root word. Once found, I shall communicate with you.

The root word kavai has occurred in PerumpaaNaatrup Padai of sangap perumpular aasiriyar UruththirangkaNNanaar.

"Kavaiththaa nalavan ayaRRaLai sithaya".

Remmbered this because it refers to crabs. You see the pincers of the crab look like kavai. I cannot remember the lines number. Do not have this book in the office. I shall get it for you in due course.

Recently Maraimalai Adigal also used it in his "ThiruoRRi Murugar Mummanik kovai.

We shall meet. Hurrying for a meeting. Best regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Tamil derived from Sanskrit?

Meaning of Tamil Word :-- "kavai"

¸¨Å = Á£ý À¢Êì¸ò àñÊÄ¢ø ¨Åì¸ôÀÎõ "ÐÇ¢ ¯½×ôÀñ¼õ"
    "kavai" = Beat ( a Small piece of Food-substance fixed at the Needle Hook to catch Fish)

"¸¨ÅìÌ" ¯¾Å¡¾ Àñ¼õ = àñÊø Á£ý-¯½× «Ç× ´Õ º¢Ú ÐñÎ ¾Ì¾¢§ÂÛõ þøÄ¡¾ Á¾¢ôÒ þøÄ¡ô Àñ¼õ.
    "kavaikku udhavaadha pandam" = a Substance which is NOT WORTH... NOR FIT for even a Beat.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Geno avargaLae

Kavai is where the words 'kovvai' (like kovvaip pazham) and kedavai which is the space between two branches of a tree or something (is it kedavai or something else?). Why do we call the pazham as kovvaip pazham? What is the reason?

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae!

URGENT URGENT URGENT!!

What are the roots of the word 'sitpikaL,' 'kalasam,' 'kONam.'

Are these words Thamizh words? If they aren't, where are they from and what are the equivalent word in Thamizh for these words?

What are the Thamizh term for
    Kilogram (Kg)
    Meter (m)
    Ton (1000 Kg)

Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae, I think you remember that you said there aren't equivalent Thamizh military ranks to nowday European military ranks etc. I have discussed this matter with Thiru Paramanathan and he said we have invent these words so they come in use. Not only that but, he also said that we could use words like 'vAempu' etc and from his Idea I think maybe we can use the Sangath Thamizh "ivakai nilap pOokkaL" names and create ranks accord with that. Also Thiru Sithamparanathan said about divising these ranks into 'muthalAm,' 'IrandAm' divisions etc.

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is silai Thamizh? What about the word 'thuvakku'..I have come to know that word 'thummi' or something mean 'Gun' in Thamizh. I always wanted to know whether if the word 'sakOtharan' and 'sakOthari' Thamizh or non-Thamizh root.

nanRi, paNivu Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae!

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast