Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is tamil derived from Sanskrit

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    //Was it a corruption or it became abbrieviated?//
    A normal word corruption, which means changes effected by people because of how they pronounced the word.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Muth-tharaiyar: here, the tharai is "land". It is spelt with "r".

¾¨Ã. ±ýÈ¡ø âÁ¢. Ó+¾¨Ã+«÷ - Óò¾¨ÃÂ÷ - ( §ºÃ §º¡Æ À¡ñÊÂ÷).

(¾¨È «øÄ ).

Thiru Neduncheziyan avargale! Does this answer your query?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    «ö¡ Á¡º¢Ä¡Á½¢ «Å÷¸§Ç!

¦¿Î了ƢÂý ±ØôÒõ ͨŠÁ¢Ìó¾ §¸ûÅ¢¸ðÌõ, ¾í¸Ç¢ý ÀÂý ¿¢¨Èó¾ ¸ÕòÐî ¦ºÈ¢Å¡É Å¢Çì¸í¸ðÌõ ¿ýÈ¢¸û ÀÄ!

¸¼Ä¡ø ¦¸¡ûÇôÀð¼ - ÌÁâì¸ñ¼òÐ - ¾¨Äîºí¸ ¸¡Äò¾¢§Ä - "¸À¡¼ÒÃõ" ±ý¸¢È ¿¸Ãõ - ¾Á¢Æú÷¸Ç¢ý ¾¨Ä¿¸Ã¡Â¢Õó¾Ð ±ýÚõ, "À·ÚÇ¢" ±ý¦È¡Õ ÅüÈ¡ ¿¾¢ -«ó¾ô Àñ¨¼Â ¾Á¢Æ¸ò¾¢§Ä - À¡öóÐ ¦¸¡ñÊÕó¾Ð ±ýÚõ, ¾Á¢ú ÅÃÄ¡üÈ¡öÅ¡Ç÷¸û À¾¢× ¦ºö¸¢È¡÷¸û.

"¸À¡¼ÒÃõ", "À·ÚÇ¢" ¬¸¢Â ¦ÀÂ÷¸û À¢üÀ¡Î §ÅÚ ¿¸ÃòÐ째¡, ¬üÚ째¡ - ¨Åì¸ôÀ𼾡¸ò ¦¾Ã¢ÂÅ¢ø¨Ä.

«ó¾ô ¦ÀÂ÷측ýí¸ðÌ ²§¾Ûõ Å¢Çì¸í¸û ¯ñ¼¡?

¿ýÈ¢¸û

À¢.Ì : ¾í¸ðÌ ´Õ Á¼ø «ÛôÀ¢Ôû§Çý (pm)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    //Prior to Independance, there was no mention of the word EEZHAM anywhere in India .. but only YAAZHPAANHAM.... in those days. And even in all the Tamil Literatures too we find as ILANGAI only.//

Like Thiru A P MASILMANI here explained once, Sri Lanka to have come from the pali corruption of the word Sri Iizham etc. Not only that he also pointed on one of the post that Thamizh Pulavars from Nagatheepam (current Jaffna Peninsula) held position in Thamizh Sangam and thus their names followed the title 'Nagar' etc. One of the Nagatheepap Pulavar of Thamizh Sangam was "Eezhaththu Nagavaendhar," The Word Eezham didn't just appear out of no where. Not only that while I was playing Age of Empire, I came to know a name "Elam," I am not aware of its pronouncation but it may have connection with the Thamizh word 'Eezham' or 'Ellam.' That 'Elam' (note the Capital "E" in the word) lived in the Sumerian Lands, where as I believe historical evidences shows that Thamizhars lived in these lands and many words were borrowed by the people living in this area.

//Whereas now, a Tamilian from Tamilnadu is not able to feel free to go to his adjacent Jaffna for meeting his Tamilian brother, whereas he is free to go to Andaman, because both these far off lands fall within one country.!!!//

I am sure that anyone is welcomed in Thamizheezham, apparently many Thamizhars of Thamizhans fear POTA and THADA and you know the consequences. Are you aware of the fact that when Andhaman Islands and Namakkavaaram Islands came under the control of India, Thamizh Nadu Thamizhans started to migrate there and the so called Indian Central Government decided to put an end to this by changing the Ship route from Chennai to these Islands (which is NEAREST!) to Calcutta to these Islands. Indra Ghandi also planned on to unite Eezham with "Indian Union," Good thing it didn't happen because then Thamizhans wouldn't have understood the need for their own Independant Nation.

nanRi, paNivu

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anbaarndha Thiru Nedunchezhiyan,

//The Word Eezham didn't just appear out of no where.//

Yes.... I have not contradicted it. This high-sensed Tamil terminology is the ancient one ever from the Historical days., I know.

I don't understand how you have mistaken me. I reproduce herebelow, my earlier statement.

//Prior to Independance, there was no mention of the word EEZHAM anywhere in India .. but only YAAZHPAANHAM.... in those days. And even in all the Tamil Literatures too we find as ILANGAI only.//

I meant the word EEZHAM was Not Popular or Well-known IN INDIA during the Bharathi's days or even later until recently.

But on ONE SINGLE DAY... IT BECAME POPULAR SUDDENLY.

We have to keep in mind that the topic of my discussion with you relates to Bharathi's thoughts. I hope you will not misunderstand me.

In this connection, I invite to go through my detailed posting under the new Thread here.... TAMIL IS MUCH EARLIER THAN SANSKRIT.

Please comment or criticise or improve on it.....as you feel proper.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    nanRi Thiru Srinivasan AvargaLae!

Thiru Geno avargaLae...I have heard of a name 'kadAram' I am not sure which part..but a country in South East Asia, I suppose?

I think the root for the word pakruLLi came from the roots pala + thuLi meaning lot of drops, since a river is formed by many rain drops that fall on the mountain which eventually falls off the mountain (aruththukkondu vatum aAthalAl athai aruvi (atuvi) entru azhaippAr) as a water fall then flows as a river.

aAru: aadi aadi povathalA aAru? (katuththai maranthittaen )

nathi: nadanthu povathAl nathi

Thamizhars didn't probably rename another river with the name pakruLLi perhaps it didn't suit for any other rivers or the other rivers had special names or became to be called different from start.

nanRi, paNivu

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae!

//Muth-tharaiyar: here, the tharai is "land". It is spelt with "r".

¾¨Ã. ±ýÈ¡ø âÁ¢. Ó+¾¨Ã+«÷ - Óò¾¨ÃÂ÷ - ( §ºÃ §º¡Æ À¡ñÊÂ÷).

(¾¨È «øÄ ).

Thiru Neduncheziyan avargale! Does this answer your query?//

Yes that answer my query. What is the root of the word aAru? How did the name 'kAuvery' form? Did it come from the roots kA + aEri? or it was abbrieviated or did it corrupt from any other word?

nanRi, paNivu Thiru A P MASILMANI avargaLae

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiru Neduncheziyan avarkale!!

vanakkam.

kaa = kaadu, kaakkappatta nilappakuthikaL.
    viri = virintha idam.

kaa + viri = kaaviri = virintha kaattup pakuthikaLil oodum nathi allathu aaRu.

kaaviri > kaaveeri.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    contd:

kaaveeri evolved from kaaviri. Such change owing to constant use of the word by the people is called "word corruption"

As to pakruLi aaRu, you are right to say that it came from pal + thuLi. It follows the rule as in the word: al+thiNai : akriNai.

Our brother Geno was asking about kapaadapuram.

Thiru Geno and Thiru Neduncheziyan avargale!!

kapaadam enpathu aaRRaiyum kuRikkum. kavai pOnRu aaRu pirivathu allathu nakarame iru pirivaaka iruppathu pOnRa kaaraNangaLaai ippeyar kaatukiRathu.

kavai < > kavadu <> kapadu, irattaiyaaka uLLa marakkiLai. athupOl pirikinRa veeRu poruLkaL, iru chinthanai muthaliya porulKalil varum chol.

kapadu + am = kapaadam. (= double ).

kavadu > kavaadu> kapaadam. (word elongation).

It could have been a twin city like New Delhi - Old Delhi or situated at a place where a river branches into two. I can decode the word but I have to refer to the Kumari Kandam map. I shall enquire further. But it is a 100% Tamil word.meaning "double"..

I shall revert.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nedunchezhiyan avargaLE!

"pahRuLi", "ARu" - Akiya soRkaLukku thAngaL thantha sol viLakkangaL arumai! nanRigaL thOzarE!

Masilamani avargaLE!

Wow! "kabAdapuram" may be "Twin city"??

Thats wonderful!!

"kavai" enkiRa vErchol sanga ilakkiyaththil payinRuLLathA?!! aRputhamAna sol viLakkam!!

kUduthal seythikaLukkAkak kAthiruppEn!

nanRikaL ayyA!

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast