Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a new history?!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    crazy,

The author would have interviewed hundreds of people and would have selectively included those that suits his agenda. not something we dont see in media.

do anyone of u understand her?
    Well did you understand when our dear PM gave a speach in Oxford and said that "British rule in India was Good governence" and that India's independence stuggle was for "Self governance" rather than rejection of "British claim to good governance".

Didn't the lady also say the samething.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy
    i cant just understand these people who r feeling proud of someones culture(special someone who came all the way cross the world)......................just coz u converted into another religion does it make u a foreigner??????????????????can it change ur identity??????????
    Lets not get carried away here. Portugal ruled Goa for more than 400 yrs and they integrated well with the locals and so did their culture. If we are proud of Taj Mahal (it was built by a great grandson of an Afghanistan native) in an alien style (at that point of time in history) why not be proud of Portuguese culture, which is a part of the present Goanese culture.

Many of us sadly want to interpret our past culture and history what we want them to be. I think we should accept it as it was. If our ancestors did not wear blouse.....so be it. Why loose sleep over it. They should have done it for a reason. Just because today’s morals and styles are different doesn't mean that their style was wrong or anything.

One of the reasons why our culture and civilization hasn’t died is because we are a open culture and incorporate changes as and when they occur. Trying to close ourselves will have a negative impact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautifully said, dsath!

i cant just understand these people who r feeling proud of someones culture
    Crazy, you have to understand the context and the background of this woman. She could well be of a Portugese descent, traching her ancestry back to the settlers. In which case, that is her own culture, not someone elses and she has every right to be proud of it!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we are proud of Taj Mahal (it was built by a great grandson of an Afghanistan native) in an alien style (at that point of time in history
    Hum Hum...

Is it really an alien style ? Mughol style born in India in the contact of Arabs and Indian architecture...
    After this style expanded in whole Arabia...
    Admire God through your life.

The creator is the creation himself..

http://vedamu.org/Mathematics/vedicmathematics.asp

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsath
    If we are proud of Taj Mahal (it was built by a great grandson of an Afghanistan native) in an alien style (at that point of time in history) why not be proud of Portuguese culture, which is a part of the present Goanese culture.
    i thought shah jahan was born to a rajput woman, just like the previuos mughal kings!
    but anyway just coz someone ruled us for some centuries, does it mean that we got to converted or get immensed into their culture and history! i cant just imagine india as a mughal country cos they ruled it for a while or as brithish country just coz they ruled it for 3-400 years!
    r we suppossed to change our identity and get pruod of our once "ruler"?

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    r we supposed to change our identity and get proud of our once "ruler"?
    No crazy, its not changing, its integrating. Take the tamil catholic Christians for example. They get married the Christian way but still wear a chain similar to Thali worn by their Hindu counterparts. The pendant has a leaf and mother Mary(i think) on it instead of the traditional Hindu Gods. Now thats called integration.

On the lighter side, what do you think of Briyani. Its a recipe brought by invaders. Haven't we adapted it to our palate. I have read somewhere that even idli is not a native - native of Tamilnadu. We have adopted and adapted to outside influence rather than build a wall. Just imagine what we would have missed hadn't we welcomed the outside influence. Our very OWN precious idlis!!!!! Outside Tamilnadu anywhere in India 'Madrasi' is identified with idli and shambar.
    The same yardstick can be applied for our culture also.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah u r right! anyway i found the book so irritating, i read it only coz it was about india!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i thought shah jahan was born to a rajput woman, just like the previuos mughal kings!
    Um...no, tat was Jehangir, SJ's father & Akbar's son.....born to Akbar's Rajput wife Jodhabai.....afa I know, he was the only mughal born to a rajput/hindu woman....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If our ancestors did not wear blouse.....so be it. Why loose sleep over it. They should have done it for a reason. Just because today’s morals and styles are different doesn't mean that their style was wrong or anything.
    Actually the reason was tat in Hinduism originally stitched or tailored cloth (in this case blouses) wer not allowed as they wer considered "impure"...esp. in temple premises....even men wore unstitched cloth back then.....
    But all the same, we cudnt see ne reason for the same 'trend' to be re-introduced for the same reason in today's society! (of course its a diff. issue tat today's fashion trendmakers r keen on the same atleast in case of women, albeit for a different reason!).....
    One of the reasons why our culture and civilization hasn’t died is because we are a open culture and incorporate changes as and when they occur. Trying to close ourselves will have a negative impact.
    Wat u say is true no doubt.....but unftly the present gen. (I dont mean youth only) seems to be taking undue advantage of the fact tat we r an open culture by opening up to even changes tat r unwarranted for! This'd hav to be realised by them for the situation to improve......!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read somewhere that even idli is not a native - native of Tamilnadu.
    Were tamils eating grass before someone taught them to cook?

யாகாவா ராயினு னாகாக்க

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast