Thread: Vijay Antony, Sundar C Babu, Dharan & Balje (i) - Vikata

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Vijay Antony, Sundar C Babu, Dharan & Balje (i) - Vikata

I cringed at the thought of starting a new thread for this but considering there is no appropriate thread, here goes.

The latest Vikatan has an entertaining interview with these four newbie composers. While Sundar and Balje have interesting pedigrees (Sundar is Veenai Chittibabu's son while Balje was the third person along with Rahman and Suresh Peters to start Nemesis Avenue), Vijai Antony has already seen some success with Dishyum's music (how much of it Oscar Ravichandran's marketing effort is something yet to be discussed - since I'm in Bangalore and in no way to really see how popular its songs are and Dharan has definitely shown some promise in Paarijaatham's music, albeit producing a sound which is an amalgam of today's sounds with very little signature.

Sundar also conceded that the fishy chartbuster is Ulaganaadhan's composition and he merely made it better and filmy. Appreciate his honesty and also feel bad when he says that he has worked very hard other tracks like Idam porul paarthu.

These composers have displayed (barring Balje who debuts with Kizhakku Kadarkarai Saalai - which seems to be a pretty hep movie to start with!) some kind of quality in their ventures and seem to have a plan as to how to go about their musical careers. Vijai has his own studio to fall back upon, while Balje has toured many countries with his pet project (a music label, according to him). Dharan is very young and seems to have struggled the least while Sundar sounded pretty tired at his struggles in an interview to Dinakaran a few days back. And none of these guys had a so-called happening movie for their debut (barring Balje, I suppose) - Sukran is at best a potboiler which was fuelled largely by Vijay's keep-blinking-you'd-not-miss-me guest appearence, Paarijaadham is yet to release and we all know Chithiram Pesuthadi's adoption by Ravichandran and its aftermath.

If you disregard the more successful 90s debutants like Rahman, Yuvan, Karthikraja et all, these 4 sound a lot more confident that many other wannabe composers who came in the 90s with stars in their eyes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, something a little fresh

Inetk,

I have not read the article. But from what you have said of the above, all I can say is, confidence is great along with talent, but at the end of the day, it's luck that counts.

I have heard only Dishoom songs. Trying to keep away from Tamil film music, at least the current lot. It's my opinion that people who don't have a good style of their own, are in the limelight for a few years and then fade out. The great Deva(njaabagam irrukka?) is like that. So are numerous other music directors. Only MSV, IR and Rahman stand out the test of time. I wasn't impressed with Dishoom. The whole album was marketed with one song, and that too, wasn't all that. I think RB Choudary may have had some play with the marketing. Far as I know, Jeeva's films have more publicity than revenue.

All I can hope is that we get some good music from new music directors.

Post Thanks / Like
    The irony is that the composer who showed a lot more promise than all these 4 - Joshua Sridhar - got completely sucked into a personal controversy. Even though Uyir is a worthy second attempt, it still falls short of the sheer brilliance of his debut. Hopefully he'd live up to his debut.

I'm keen on listening to what Balje does in KKS. Lets see if the actual association with ARR - compared to the media-generated associations of other composers like HJ/ Joshua etc who might have played a small part/ instrument in his troupe at some point in time - shows in his music.

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inetk
    Even though Uyir is a worthy second attempt, it still falls short of the sheer brilliance of his debut. Hopefully he'd live up to his debut.
    Karthik,
    Aren't you going a little overboard here? I can't imagine how the songs would've become hit if the movie had flopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    RR:
    I tried reading your message again and again and still do not get it. I simply meant that Kaadhal's music was a worthy debut and that Uyir, while being good, was still not to the level of Kaadhal IMO and was perhaps harping on Kaadhal's pattern.

Which movie's hit' flop status are you referring to?

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    See the bolded part. Was referrring to his debut Kadhal. Sheer brilliance? Worthy debut is better.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Vysar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to the discussion. Vijay Antony's fav MD is IR

http://www.dinamalar.com/2006june01/vikatan.asp