Thread: Tamil Seemantham - components and significance

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Tamil Seemantham - components and significance

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting anything in a forum - ever - so please forgive me if I screw something up.
    I am writing a final paper about Seemantham and am having difficulties finding extensive information on the topic. Much of the information that I have found is incomplete or conflicting. I was lucky enough to witness my cousin's Seemantham, however, that was 10 years ago and I was quite young and so was more interested in the food than the significance of the rituals that my family was performing.
    I have no way to contact my family with enough time to receive a response and so was hoping that some of you would know the rituals and significance of those that are performed during a Tamil Seemantham. Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First "puberty" analysis thread, next "seemantham"! Good! Natural consequence!

skchitharanj! The richness of Indianness is its diversity. Any number of communities go to make this country one. Each community follows its own traditional, age-old customs.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding to my post!
    I recognize that India is diverse in its communities, but I have heard many other Indians speak of specifically Tamil Seemanthams as though those Seemanthams have unique customs. However, I would be grateful for any Seemantham details, especially if the significance of the customs discussed are included...

Senior Member Regular Hubber pizzalot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone here can confirm but having heard of the ritual, not witnessed one myself, this is what it must signify:

1. In North, or atleast in place where I live, girls and boys are supposed to maintain their distance right from the birth. May be this is not the case in South from what I understand. The girl is advertized as not being a minor anymore. Father, Brother,cousins and other men treat her with respect.

2. The community gets to know that the girl is mature. Best way of telling the community that alliances are welcome.

3. The elders who attend the function go back to their villages with an agenda to secure alliance for the girl. So the entire community helps the family to get best alliance for the girl.

When there was no Matrimonial Newspapers or web sites, this function or get together must have really come-in as the best method to securing great alliances for the girl.

In North, unmarried women undergo publicized fasting every week for the same reason perhaps.

Great topic ! I appreciate skchitharanj !
    Albert Einstein
    "Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pizzalot, seemandham is a function done during pregnancy, not for coming of age. The function done for coming of age (first menses) is called "manjal neeraattu vizha" or "sadangu". There are some rituals in common (nalangu is done in both) but otherwise they are completely different.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Regular Hubber pizzalot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    Pizzalot, seemandham is a function done during pregnancy, not for coming of age. The function done for coming of age (first menses) is called "manjal neeraattu vizha" or "sadangu". There are some rituals in common (nalangu is done in both) but otherwise they are completely different.
    Ha Ha Ha ! Pavalamani confused me by talking of puberty .. So much for my knowledge of Tamil culture
    Albert Einstein
    "Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    pizzalot: Here is the thread on 'manjaL neeraatudhal' !

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6605
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.