Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to drive a car

Post Thanks / Like

Learning to drive a car

Please put down your experiences while learning to drive a car..

I have got my license here a few months ago but am not able to get the confidence to drive especially on the freeway...merging into traffic ,exiting etc.

To add to it,a lady bumped her car into mine when I had stopped my car because the car before me was trying to turn...after that I am even scared of braking

Also,to all the ladies here,if your husband is in the car,does he get hypertensed while you are driving,and do you end up fighting by the time the drive is over
    smile always!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    azhagi :

Is this thread open to only those living in the US??

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Learning to drive in U.S

Quote Originally Posted by azhagi
    Please put down your experiences while learning to drive a car..

I have got my license here a few months ago but am not able to get the confidence to drive especially on the freeway...merging into traffic ,exiting etc.

To add to it,a lady bumped her car into mine when I had stopped my car because the car before me was trying to turn...after that I am even scared of braking
    Azhagi.......I guess u shud hav learnt driving while in India itself.....'cos even many foreign expats say half-jokingly tat if u've learnt how to drive in India u can drive newhere else in the world!
    Neways, yea, going by NM's query- is this thread open to experiences of learning driving only in the US? or newhere else too?
    Also now my query- is this thread open to ladies' driving experiences only?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Azhagi.......I guess u shud hav learnt driving while in India itself.....'cos even many foreign expats say half-jokingly tat if u've learnt how to drive in India u can drive newhere else in the world!
    Neways, yea, going by NM's query- is this thread open to experiences of learning driving only in the US? or newhere else too?
    Also now my query- is this thread open to ladies' driving experiences only?
    Lamby I dont think thats true.I did learn to drive in India(pls dont ask me if it was on the Herald..the poor car was long gone by then)
    Also I had total road sense coz I rode a bike for a long time(since college) but it worked against me.The speeds you travel in out here is incredible.Most of the times the legal speed limit is 60 m/hr which means the traffic usually moves at 80m/hr .That itself was so scary.On top of that you have merging traffic and cars changing lanes .The biggest issue I had when trying to drive a car here was to learn to drive on the RIGHT side of the road.You are so used to driving on the LEFT that its automatic for you to try to drive on the LEFT which is very very dangerous since ur on head on path for the opposing traffic.Shucks how my hubby freaked out the first time I did it :P.After that I became very very cautious
    Anyways I feel when you learn to drive here start with a clean plate.Even if you do know driving please go to the professional driving school and go through a course(its mandatory in a lot of states) and practice a lot before you go for your test.Driving is a lot of practice.You get better at it as you do more of it .Good luck!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssanjinika
    Lamby I dont think thats true.I did learn to drive in India(pls dont ask me if it was on the Herald..the poor car was long gone by then)
    *digr
    Yea I guessed u'd sold it by then.....but hey, y do u say "poor car", "long gone"...?? U dont mean to say it was..........!
    /digr
    Also I had total road sense coz I rode a bike for a long time(since college) but it worked against me.The speeds you travel in out here is incredible.Most of the times the legal speed limit is 60 m/hr which means the traffic usually moves at 80m/hr
    Yup tats true.....esp. on the freeways rite?

Anyways I feel when you learn to drive here start with a clean plate.Even if you do know driving please go to the professional driving school and go through a course(its mandatory in a lot of states) and practice a lot before you go for your test.
    Um.....hey, I wasnt trying to give ne misleading advice.....jus reminded of this funny article I read online abt driving in India.......cant seem to find it now.....
    Neways, Good Luck ppl.!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    knew that LAmby .Just trying to impress upon you how diff I found to drive here :P.

Post Thanks / Like
    NM,lamby,pls give driving experience in other countries as well,

All men and women can jot down their experiences here.

I did learn to drive in India,got a license ,never drove after that since by then I conceived and had a kid to take care of ...

So,I almost started from scratch here,so that did help,I should say...

But I am still scared of the speeds-65 m/hr here in CA
    smile always!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there should be exclusive lane in all countries for women drivers!!!
    May be that is not practible. How about this?.. Compulsory red flags in front and rear of the cars driven by women!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Idea-Shekhar....exclusive lane
    smile always!!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    azhagi,

my situation is same like u.

I know and learnt to drive car. I did not get license as i had to rush back to my routine (i learnt it in chennai)

I am s***t scared to think of driving now. Ive lost all hopes that I would take out my car and drive anyday. My hus always teawses me I can drive only when there is a bandh, that too at wee hours of mornings

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast