Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanjavur brahmin recipes

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    the dhania powder i bring from India, even after 1 long year, still has its aroma whenevr I open the lid...not so with commercial ones

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I make my sambar and rasam podis at home only since I get all the ingredients here in CA.I make them once in 2 months in small quantities and it stays fresh till the last day.Garam masala also I make at home only so it tastes really fresh and good.

Ayesha,pls don't get me wrong...but don't you think that instead of carrying all those podis and masalas from home,you could make it yourself in UAE.I am sure you will be getting all those ingredients there.When you make it yourself,you could proudly say that to all ...well,that is my opinion. Even if my mother or MIL offers those podis to me,I don't accept it...because frankly it takes a lot of load off the luggage and you could carry something else instead.Also,if you get the correct recipe details from them,you can prepare it yourself.Just a thought!
    smile always!!!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ayesha...i can understand what u go thro...with 1/2 ur luggage containing podis...etc..etc..

Azhagi : what u r saying is easier said than done.

in my case...whenever i visit my parents or my in-laws....i will be flooded with queries as to what all need...!! Generally...I will ask them to make any particular podi...like parruppu podi or pulikachal.

Will inform tht the opposite party has made the other podis.

This way...my mother and my mil are happy tht they did something....and at the same time...I ensure tht I travel with a light weight.

The first time after marriage......(when i was not smart enough to get away from their 'anbu tholai') ..I came back home with a lot of podis. When I opened my luggage here.....I couldnt identify..which podi was for what!!! Spent a lot of time on the phone segregating the various podis.

Offcourse...when the phone bill came....my hubby hit the roof...and tht is another scary story...to be shared later!!! lol....lol....

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha the podis.... my mom in law makes an excellent sambhar podi, which i think is unparalled and my mom's idli podi will also fall into that category. My mom uses lots of curry leaves for idli podi (prevent too much hair loss esp after having 2 children) and i can't imagine making them my self.
    When my mom and dad came to visit us she brought with her the usual podis and parpu and what not. The funny thing was she packed 3 kgs of greengram dhal 'cause i like it and payed for extra baggage at check in, inspite of me telling her thousand times that we get perfectly good greengram dhal from all supermarkets here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by azhagi
    I make my sambar and rasam podis at home only since I get all the ingredients here in CA.I make them once in 2 months in small quantities and it stays fresh till the last day.Garam masala also I make at home only so it tastes really fresh and good.

Ayesha,pls don't get me wrong...but don't you think that instead of carrying all those podis and masalas from home,you could make it yourself in UAE.I am sure you will be getting all those ingredients there.When you make it yourself,you could proudly say that to all ...well,that is my opinion. Even if my mother or MIL offers those podis to me,I don't accept it...because frankly it takes a lot of load off the luggage and you could carry something else instead.Also,if you get the correct recipe details from them,you can prepare it yourself.Just a thought!

yes...thats what i tell my mom in law...but she insists on sending those...amma kai manam for her pillai..

Post Thanks / Like
    dear smilealways,
    thats what happens exactly...when they insist we cannot say no

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys....i'm new to this hub..But this thread is interesting...V can grind podi's at home, but v visit our parents once in 2-3 yrs...when vbring podis from them , avangalukkum sandhosham, en namakkumthan...konja nalukku podi aaraikama nimmadiyya irukkalam....

Post Thanks / Like
    hey..tanjorebrahmin recipes'lerndhu route mariconversation engayo pogudhu.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

a mout watering thread. Anyone out there can post the authentic bramin sambhar recipe from TN

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    i once got this sambar recipe from a brahmin friend of mine....i hope u people like it

MURUNGAI SAMBAR

toor dal - 1 cup, soaked, cooked well with a little turmeric
    drumstick - 2 to 3 nos. cut into pieces
    onion/ a few small red onions - 1, chopped (optional)
    tomato - 1 chopped
    tamarind - a small lemon size, soaked in water
    jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
    salt

fresh sambar masala: fry these in a little oil and grind
    Fresh grated coconut - 3 tbsp
    coriander seeds - 1 &1/2 tbsp
    Jeera - 1 tsp
    whole red chilli - 6
    Channa dal - 1 tbsp
    Urud dal - 1 tbsp
    Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
    Methi seeds - 1 tsp
    Hing - 1/2 tsp

For tempering:
    Mustard seeds
    Urad dal
    Hing
    Jeera
    curry leaves
    whole red chilli
    Green chillies
    Ghee/oil

1. Heat oil and fry onion. Add tomatoes and fry.
    2. add the sambar masala and fry ; then add vegetables, salt, hing. Simmer the mixture till veggies cook, adding water.
    3. add tamarind water and simmer till it thickens. Add jaggery.
    4. Now add the cooked dal, more water if necessary . simmer.
    5. Heat the oil in a pan and add the tempering items, when they pop, add them to the sambar.

serve hot.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast