Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponniyin Selvan-Kalki

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kannann,
    I do find reading on a PC tiring. But no other go. If we are reading a single book, (let's say PS), then we will prefer to read it in paper than in the monitor. But when it comes to reading the complete works of KALKI (Novels, Short Stories, Essays etc), then obviously we have to adjust with the screen. (even though it won't give you the feel of reading in paper.

Infact I started reading Paarthiban Kanavu first. Then Sivagaamin Sabatham. When I read PK first, I wasn't able to understand some of the reference to SS. After having read SS, I read PK once again. :P
    Both in paper. But PoNNiyin Selvan (I read a few parts in the book). couldn't get the rest in my hometown. As a final solution, I bought this CD. It has all the works of KALKI. So, Having great time reading the CD :P

I agree with you. As far as introducing the characters is concerned, KALKI throws a light on the nature of the character and how it would be in the near future. The introduction of BUDDHA PIKSHU in SS itself is a prime example for it.

The narration is here:
    சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
    முதல் பாகம் : பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
    ஆறாம் அத்தியாயம் - மர்மக் கயிறு
    -----------------------------------
    புத்த சந்நியாசி அவனுக்கு அருகில் வந்து நின்று உற்றுப் பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தார். அவருடைய முகத்தோற்றம் அவனுக்கு அச்சத்தை அளித்தது. அதைக் காட்டிலும் அவர் கையில் வாலைப் பிடித்துத் தலைகீழாகத் தொங்கவிட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்த பாம்பு அதிக அருவருப்பையும் பயங்கரத்தையும் அளித்தது.

---------------------------------------
    சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
    முதல் பாகம் : பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
    பத்தாம் அத்தியாயம் - கண்கட்டு மாயம்
    ---------------------------------------
    மற்றும் ஒரு பயங்கரக் கனவு! நாகநந்தியடிகள் வந்து அவன் பக்கத்தில் நின்று அவனுடைய முகத்தை உற்றுப் பார்க்கிறார். அப்படி பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும்போதே அவருடைய முகமானது படமெடுத்தாடும் பாம்பின் முகமாக மாறுகிறது! அந்தப் பாம்பு அதனுடைய மெல்லிய பிளவுபட்ட நாவை நீட்டி அவனுடைய முகத்தைத் தீண்ட வருகிறது!

From these narrations, We can get a glimpse of the character of NagaNadhi. - A person who can emit Venom at any time. :P

Truly, KALKI has his own style here.
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rami's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by selvakumar
    Rami,
    Should we have to restrict ourselves in discussing only abt PS or it can be extended to others works of KALKI too?
    I started this thread to know the views of hubbers abt PS. But if it covers all Kalki works.. That will make this thread more interesting...

There are many around who dont realize the actual feel of PS.. I wanted to spread a word abt PS. Those who know Tamil and still havent read it... U r really missing something gr8 ...

The realization of happiness happens only after experience of pain.

If we desire to blossom like a flower in the garden of life,
    Then we must learn the art of adjusting our life with the thorns!

Post Thanks / Like
    well.. I am receiving many queires from the hubbers on reading Ponniyan Selvan Online.

Not only PS.. Hubbers can read the ENTIRE WORKS OF KALKI ONLINE (Including short stories, Novels, Essays etc) here.

www.chennainetwork.com

But the person who maintains this site, is also selling the works in the CD. The CD price is very minimal. I would suggest hubbers to buy the CD to help him (My opinion only).

If u have problems with that, you can still enjoy the works (by reading online)

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that link will help hubbers in getting the content for quoting.

Let's make this thread a place for discussing on all KALKI works.

:P

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the link Selva. I had a pdf version some time back and as I said, grew tired of reading on the PC. As you mentioned, we can now post the relevant parts and that will sure enhace the discussion.

An observation of Kalki's works shows how he literally builds up the heroism of the characters to an extent where we are at awe over every single action of theirs. The following is a passage from Sivagamiyin Sabadam (again from Selva's link), where the sculptor Aayanar and his daughter Sivagami visit Mahendra Pallavar at Mamallapuram. Aayanar, requests the king to spare a horse for an important mission. He doesn't mention who it is that is going to carry out the mission:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
    முதல் பாகம் - பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
    இருபத்தேழாம் அத்தியாயம் - ஒரு குதிரை
    -------------------------------------------------------
    "அதுவும் தருகிறேன் இவ்வளவு முக்கியமான காரியத்துக்கு யாரை அனுப்புவதாக உத்தேசம், ஆயனரே, ஒருவேளை நீரே போவதாக உத்தேசமா?"

"எனக்குக் குதிரை ஏறவே தெரியாது, பிரபு! என்னுடைய சீடன் ஒருவனை அனுப்புகிறேன்."

"பகைவர் படைகள் வரும் வழியிலே அவன் போக வேண்டியிருக்குமே? கையில் நல்ல ஆயுதம் எடுத்துப் போக வேண்டும். இதோ இந்த வேலை அவனிடம் கொடுத்து அனுப்புங்கள்!" என்று கூறிச் சக்கரவத்தி, நரசிம்மரிடமிருந்து தாம் வாங்கி வைத்திருந்த வேலை நீட்டினார்.

ஆயனர் சற்றுத் தயங்கி நிற்கவே, "ஏன் தயக்கம்? இந்த வேல் நீர் அனுப்பப் போகும் வாலிபனுடைய வேல்தான்! மதயானையின் கோபத்திலிருந்து உம்மையும் சிவகாமியையும் பாதுகாத்த ஆயுதந்தான். பரஞ்சோதி இதை வாங்கிக்கொள்ள ஆட்சேபிக்க மாட்டான்" என்றார் சக்கரவர்த்தி.

இதைக் கேட்ட ஆயனர் மட்டுமல்ல நரசிம்மரும் சிவகாமியும்கூட ஆச்சரியக்கடலில் மூழ்கினார்கள்.

ஆயனர் தட்டுத் தடுமாறி, "பல்லவேந்திரா! தங்களுக்கு எப்படித் தெரிந்தது?" என்றார்.
    -------------------
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannanm
    An observation of Kalki's works shows how he literally builds up the heroism of the characters to an extent where we are at awe over every single action of theirs.
    Exactly Kannanm.! But KALKI uses this style for portraying the several qualities of his characters. We can see this in SS in many places.

Be it SivaGaMi, Narasimmhar or NaaGA nadhi. He perfectly explains their nature in his style.

Let me give the way he neatly displays the CUNNING & CLEVER, CALCULATIVE brain of NaaGA NanDhi.

Here it is:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
    நான்காம் பாகம் : சிதைந்த கனவு
    முப்பத்தாறாம் அத்தியாயம் - "பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவன்"
    ------------------------------------------------------

அப்போது நாகநந்தி, "இல்லை, ஆயனரே, இல்லை. சாரதி கண்ணபிரான் சொன்னது அப்படி ஒன்றும் உளறல் இல்லை. அவன் சொன்னபடி நடந்தால், அதில் எனக்கு வியப்பு இராது. காஞ்சி சிங்காதனத்தில் பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவனை வைத்துப் பட்டம் கட்டுவதைக் காட்டிலும் பரஞ்சோதிக்கு ராஜ்யத்தைக் கொடுப்பதே வீரமகேந்திர பல்லவருக்கு உகப்பாயிருக்கும்" என்றார்.

எதிர்பாராத நேரத்தில் வானத்திலிருந்து ஒரு மின்னல் பாய்ந்து வந்து மண்டையைப் பீறிக்கொண்டு தேகத்துக்குள் பாய்வது போன்ற உணர்ச்சி 'பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவன்' என்ற சொற்களைக் கேட்டதும் சிவகாமிக்கு ஏற்பட்டது.

"ஒரு மர்மமும் இல்லை. உலகமெல்லாம் தெரிந்த விஷயத்தை உங்களுக்கு நான் சொன்னால்தான் என்ன? மாமல்லன் என்று பட்டப்பெயர் பெற்ற குமார சக்கரவர்த்தி நரசிம்ம பல்லவனைப் பற்றித்தான் சொல்கிறேன். அவன் பெரிய கோழை, பயங்கொள்ளி என்பது உலகப் பிரசித்தமாயிற்றே? முதன் முதலில் வாதாபி சைனியம் படையெடுத்து விட்டது என்று கேள்விப்பட்டதுமே மாமல்லனுக்கு உடம்பெல்லாம் நடுக்கமடைந்து மயங்கி விழுந்து விட்டானாம். அதுவும் அந்தச் சமயத்தில் அவன் அரண்மனை அந்தப்புரத்து மாதர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் இருந்தானாம். சக்கரவர்த்திக்கு மானமே போய்விட்டதாம். ஆயனரே! மாமல்லனை ஏன் சக்கரவர்த்தி யுத்த களத்துக்கு அழைத்துப் போகவில்லை என்று நீர் கேள்விப்படவில்லையா? ஏன் காஞ்சிக் கோட்டைக்கு வெளியிலே மாமல்லன் வரக்கூடாது என்று திட்டம் செய்துவிட்டு மகேந்திர பல்லவர் போர்க்களம் போனார் என்று நீர் கேள்விப்படவில்லையா?"

ஆயிரம் பேய்களினால் துரத்தப்பட்டவளைப் போல் சிவகாமி வீட்டின் பின்கட்டுகளைத் தாண்டிக் கொல்லைப் பக்கம் ஓடினாள். காட்டுக்குள்ளே எங்கே போகிறோம் என்ற உத்தேசமில்லாமல் ஓடினாள். ஓடி ஓடிக் களைத்துக் கடைசியில் ஒரு மரத்தடியில் வேரின் மீது உட்கார்ந்தாள்.

Just Like this, KALKI perfectly brings the real qualities of his characters in our eyes.

P.S: It would be easy for newbies if u could put the part and the sub-division name. :P People who have read his works before will find it very easy to track it. But newbies will find it difficult.

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me give the way he neatly displays the CUNNING & CLEVER, CALCULATIVE brain of NaaGA NanDhi.
    Yes. And his villains are so cool. Sometimes, they carry out their actions without a hint of what's on their mind.
    P.S: It would be easy for newbies if u could put the part and the sub-division name. People who have read his works before will find it very easy to track it. But newbies will find it difficult.
    I have added the info now.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stranger, sorry i had some guests and couldn't come online for the past few days. Good to know you are also a kalki fan. Your memory is amazing. I am longing to see PS in the silver screen, atleast somebody should attempt to make a teleserial on this. I was searching for a hard copy in our city library. Even the local tamil sangam doesn't have a tamil library.
    Thanks Selva for sharing the information about the online version. Some consolation!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sv!

kadamai first, hub next!

I remember this dialogue by vanthiyathevan (?) when three people were arguing which God is great.

"ariyum shivanum onnu athai aRiyaathavanga vaayila maNNu"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stranger

Vandhiadevan will say the following :

Hariyum sivanum onnu ...ariyaadhavar vaayilay mannu ! and after this he will open his palms to show some sand and will throw ...

other will follow him and there will be chaos

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast