Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponniyin Selvan-Kalki

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    who was kalki's inspiration? walter scott?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stranger
    The dialogues between vandhiyathevan and azhvarkkadiyaan were really funny, unfortunately i don't remember any. It has been 10 years since i last read PS. I read it in the kalki weekly magazine. I remember how i used to yearn for thursdays, to read new kalki
    The description of poonkuzhali, her romance with arunmozhi varman which didn't last long, chinna & periya pazhuvettaraiyar, how aathidha karikalan was killed - they were all so natural that we will feel like watching directly.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some emotional moments in Ponniyin selvan :

1. The last moments of Periya pazuvettarayar.... as he shares with Alwarkadiyaan, his bitter past , being overhead by Kunthavai from another room, she will shed tears....... PP will apologise through Alwarkadiyaan for having shown disgust on Kunthavai earlier as he was blinded by the beauty of Nandini
    2. The final 2 pages as Vandhiya devan meets Manimekalai ...as she falls dead right on his lap....really tearful end
    3. Immediately when that Oomai rani dies on the lap of Sundara Cholan, the silent exchange of emotions between the two....just eye to eye contact and it conveys 1000 messages.....

Senior Member Senior Hubber Fire111999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just wanted to say that i love ponniyin selvan.

i'm a very slow reader in tamil and so haven't read many tamil books at all. and no book as long as PS.

but wow! PS was wonderful my mum was amazed i could finish the whole thing. but i found it so interesting.

usually i would have found scenery descriptions boring but in PS, i would read them again and again cos i enjoy them too.

as i already mentioned, i am a slow tamil reader. so i've not really read all the posts in this thread. i shall try and find time!
    ~~~Believe. Just saying - I can do it, can give surprising results. ~~~

~~~ God is a girl ~~~

~~~ Check out the painted hand elephant!~~~

Senior Member Senior Hubber Fire111999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what font is that in? can't read it!
    ~~~Believe. Just saying - I can do it, can give surprising results. ~~~

~~~ God is a girl ~~~

~~~ Check out the painted hand elephant!~~~

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rami's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its human nature to immediately like someone or dislike someone..
    Though, Vandhiyathevan is aware that Nandhini is like a beautiful snake, he has some affection towards her which cannot be dismissed as lust...
    Similiarly, nandhini has some bond towards Vandiyathevan, which is not lust .. but something else...
    Vandhiyathevan is in love with Kundhavai ...

But Nandini... She saves Vandiyathevan many times.. I always keep wondering abt the nature of bond bwn Vandiyathevan and Nandhini

Any hubbers who have the same strange feeling...

The realization of happiness happens only after experience of pain.

If we desire to blossom like a flower in the garden of life,
    Then we must learn the art of adjusting our life with the thorns!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some places which Kalki mentions are still around even today...

like Veera narayana yeri.... is nothing but today's VEERANAM YERI ! and its near cuddalore ......

the rivers arisilaaru etc etc are still around but there is little or no water at all... I could see this river while travelling between thanjavur and Swamimalai ....

Thirupaapuliyur also is being mentioned by Kalki ( Vandhiyadevan I think will try to get horses ) ...this is Cuddalore.....

Ofcourse Thanjavur and thiruvaiyaaru and Kudandhai are there for ages.....

Also, after the death of Aditya karikalan, kalki refers to Thiruvalangadu cheppedu....and this village is still there carrying the same name !

Kanchi is being touched as well

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Even I like Ponniyin Selvan. It's my all time favorite novel.

So who are ur favorite characters in that novel?

I like Kundhavai, Vandhiyadevan and Nandhini

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read elsewhere that Vandhiyadevan actually abandoned Kundavai to be with another woman and Kundavai eventually returned to Tanjavur to take care of her brother's children. How true is this information?
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    I read elsewhere that Vandhiyadevan actually abandoned Kundavai to be with another woman and Kundavai eventually returned to Tanjavur to take care of her brother's children. How true is this information?
    Kannannn

If you run through finishing touches given by Kalki after the final episode , you will realise that they joined hands after facing challenges from Parthibendra pallavan ( kanchi ) and others ....

Kalki gave this finishing touches after receiving so many queries after the end.....
    Obviously, he had left many characters unfinished which made the readers curious....

Vandhiya devan and Kuntavai wedding was one such....

Kalki summarises as follows :

After facing several hurdles , the 2 join hands and continue to serve the chola kingdom...they were treated with all respect and honoured.......

Like this, he mentions about Chinna pazuvettarayar also....he comes back and continues to serve the chola kingdom....

Nandini dies soon...but before Arulmozi varman meets her and she exchanges the truth behind Aditya's end.....

The old Madhurandhagan also gets killed after some time ( amara bujangan or some name ) by Arulmozi......

Vanathi dies ....but after giving birth to Rajendra Chola.....( she never takes the throne along with Raja raja )

Are you referring to Vikraman's Nandipurathu nayagi ??( a story written after PS was complete ) wherein he shows that Vandhiya gets arrested once again for the Aditya karikalan case but finally gets released.......

We used to read this story as a continuity to PS but Vikraman applied his own theory probably.......

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast