Thread: Books for Library

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Books for Library

Dear Hubbers,

I'm looking for second hand books on the history of India, history of South India, formation of the different States in India and also the geography, history and the customs, traditions and practices of the various communities and ethnic groups of Kerala. The books are for our Resource Library, which will be used as a reading and not a lending Library.

If anyone who has a good source for acquring such books please let me know as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Shoba

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi shobha,
    great idea u r planning on a library.r u planning it in india? there are very good bookstores in B'lore who have vast selections on south india/kerala history/customs.The Strand,Premeir Book House,Sapna book house, etc. all stock good books and even in details like The nayars of malabar,or the kurups,varma family or the chola dynasty etc.written by indian sometime foreign(east india co) writers even reprints from the 1900's!!
    but these r all academic ref.books so ask them to check in the History/Sociology sections.costs r reasonable Rs.200-750 depending on the no. of volumes u want. i don't know if this helps but these book store owners r first book lovers so they can go the extra mile for u if u want something specific
    happy hunting!

regards,
    rain
    here's some links :

http://www.lafarge-india.com/webapp/...fBookStore.jsp

http://www.webindia123.com/city/karn...cat=Book+Shops

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rain
    hi shobha,
    great idea u r planning on a library.r u planning it in india? there are very good bookstores in B'lore who have vast selections on south india/kerala history/customs.The Strand,Premeir Book House,Sapna book house, etc. all stock good books and even in details like The nayars of malabar,or the kurups,varma family or the chola dynasty etc.written by indian sometime foreign(east india co) writers even reprints from the 1900's!!
    but these r all academic ref.books so ask them to check in the History/Sociology sections.costs r reasonable Rs.200-750 depending on the no. of volumes u want. i don't know if this helps but these book store owners r first book lovers so they can go the extra mile for u if u want something specific
    happy hunting!

regards,
    rain
    here's some links :

http://www.lafarge-india.com/webapp/...fBookStore.jsp

http://www.webindia123.com/city/karn...cat=Book+Shops
    Thank you so much rain! I just reposted my query under the culture thread

The library will be in Singapore, and by the looks of what you have written (the owners being book lovers), I think I might strike it lucky in B'lore.

Thanks a lot once again!

Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    somewhat connected to this. are there good libraries for technology related books in bangalore? for example i know that the british council library in chennai houses a good collection. are the libraries at iisc open to the public? will be glad if someone from bangalore sheds light on this.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sure thing, shobha

hi rocketboy,

not sure 'bout the library but i believe they had a good book shop attached to the campus.u do get books for vg prices.not sure if it's still there.british council,b'lore too lends out tech books.maybe someone currently there can give u more info.

regards,
    rain

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you rain. your help is very much appreciated.