Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contribution of non-thamizh writers to thamizh Lit.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

pg (@ gate*) on: Mon Dec 6 13:16:52

narasayyA (author of kadalOdi) is a telugu by birth.

narasayyA who was in the Indian Navy and later in commercial shipping recollects his momoirs in kadalOdi. Probably the only book of its type in Tamil. Very well written.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

venkat (@ dhcp*) on: Mon Dec 6 18:52:47

an addendum to narasayya;

he was born and bought up in Madurai. and a a sad story; his brother, a madura colleage prof. and a hindu (I do not know hindu munnani or pinnani groups) was brutally killed by unknown terrorists about an year ago! His nephew is my friend.

gokul, thanks for clarifying on pAvaNNan, I guess my misunderstanding was because of some wrong info. which got some authenticity because he has translated some kannada works.

I was thinking about MVV; not many sourAShtra characters in mokaluL are nice ones, may be not any character is modelled exactly, some mannerisms of MVV might be extensively used in character descriptions(CD). I guess it is inevitable to adopt CD of friends, but just to portray someone is neither decent nor intelligent. Good stories should border on reality, but should not be running commentaries!!

But, thi.jaa is great in CD; I have seen many of his characters living in exact parts back in my home yard in kumbakONam. Sometime back when I was giving a second reading to naLapAkam, I was stunned to match them with some people I know. He is too good an observer; but I guess no one can sue him for having portrayed him.

Post Thanks / Like

Gokul (@ user*) on: Mon Dec 6 21:39:03

PG: Thanks for your info on NarasayyA. It has been
    a long time since I read about him.

Venkat,
    It is unsettling to learn about the demise of
    NarasayyA's brother.

Yes,pAvannan has done good amount of translation from kannada to thamizh. He learnt kannada after he moved to Bangalore. It is really an amazing feat.

I remember reading this line in some mag.

mOgamuLLil thi.jA MVV-ai oru kadhApAththiramAgavE
    ulaava vittu irukkiraar.

The magazine also carried an interview with MVV.
    Another interesting bit of info I got from the
    interview is that thi.jA has done some work
    for movies too. One movie that was quoted was
    nAlu vEli nilam.

Post Thanks / Like

Era.Murugan (@ 131.*) on: Tue Dec 7 15:34:06

Gokul,

Thi.Jaa had written the script for a Tamil movie by name 'Karumbu'. This was to be directed by late Ramu Kariat immediately after his epoch making Chemmeen based on Thakazhi's Malayalam novel of the same name. You can find a mention of this in Venkat Saminathan's 'Agraharathil Kazhuthai' script published two years back (Pl read Ve.Saa's foreward). Kariat's untimely demise might have nibbed the effort in the bud. I remember hearing on Asia Service of 'Ceylon Radio'(when I was in my higher secondary classes) Yesudoss singing 'ThingaL maalai veNkudaiyaan' (Chilapadhikaram - Kaanalvari) for this movie - tuned by Salil Choudhry. Pl read my(as Achwin) article 'Cinemavukkup pona ezhuthalarkal' in Minnambalam (archieves - under the folder cinema) for more details.

About Naalu Veli Nilam : I saw this movie as a Chennai Tholaikaatchi telecast a few years ago. I think Thi.Jaa wrote it for stage performance by S.V.Sahasranamam's Seva Stage. It is a straight narrative about a rural family with a sterling performance by S.V.S. Other plus points - a simple and elegant art work by Kalasagaram Rajagopal (remember the beautiful 'book reader' logo created by him for Vachakar Vattam of Lakshmi Krishnamoorthy?) and melodious music. The song 'Oorum urangaiyile, uttrarum thoongaiyile' (Tiruchi Loganathan and Jamuna Rani) has words with more or less the same meaning as 'Jute Bhole Kawwa kaate' (RK's 'Bobby')...

Era.Murugan

Post Thanks / Like

maruthavANan (@ gup-*) on: Tue Dec 7 17:13:22

Not exactly a contributor to tamil "literature"(!) I believe one of those "stories to go" writers, either Rajendra Kumar or Rajesh Kumar is a Marathi
    by birth.

Post Thanks / Like

venkat (@ dhcp*) on: Tue Dec 7 19:26:49

Dear murugan,

>**** I remember hearing on Asia Service of 'Ceylon Radio'(when I was in my higher** secondary classes) Yesudoss singing 'ThingaL maalai veNkudaiyaan' (Chilapadhikaram -* Kaanalvari) for this movie - tuned by Salil Choudhry.*

Oh, my god.* I still remember that song vividly after years *I too heared it only in radio
    cylon*.* kaanalvari was mellifluously tuned by choudhry. KJJ voice is* haunting, apt for that
    pathos of the kaanalvari.* I never knew what the movie was. Is there any possibility for
    getting that song.* I think it is possible if we have some friends in AIR Madras, they usually
    have huge archieves.*

In the same theme, there is another good hanunting melody, for another aborted attempt of
    another great author.* Jeyakaanthans puthu ceruppu kadikkum was started with song
    recording, SPB sang a song chittirappU cElai, ciriththamukam vizikkarumbu...* I remeber the
    full lyrics even after no less than 20 years after hearing few times in SLBC tamil cEvai-II.* I
    am searching to get a copy of that song too.* If I remember it right jeyakaanthan wrote that
    song too.** Both these moview never took off.

Post Thanks / Like

era.murugan (@ 131.*) on: Tue Dec 7 19:47:37

Dear Venkat,

I too remember 'Chitira poo chelai' in 'Pudhu Cheruppu'. As u've mentioned, it was written by JK - first published in his literary journal Jnana Ratham under the title Kaamam.

Do you remember the words,

"PadikaatiL nadanthu varum
    paathathu ezhil kaNpadharkku
    padikattin idaiyil or
    palagaiyai maareno" (shades of Azhwar)

BTW, Puthu Cheruppu was made available for screening after its completion but by then distributors began acquiring only 'color films' and so Pudhu Cheruppu is still in the cans.

Before anyone starts accusing us of hijacking this topic,

au revoir,
    Murug

Post Thanks / Like

Gokul (@ bhxr*) on: Wed Dec 8 15:15:39

Murugan,

Thanks for the info on karumbu and nAlu vEli nilam. I will check minnambalam's archives.

Post Thanks / Like

venkat (@ dhcp*) on: Wed Dec 8 18:43:30

I guess no one will say, we hijak this thread (the only other active person here is gokul, who I guess will not mind this beautiful song). Do you know who was the music director? SPB really gave life to this song.

º¢ò¾¢Ãôâî §º¨Ä, º¢Ã¢ò¾Ó¸õ, ŢƢì¸ÕõÒ
    ÓòÐîͼ÷ §ÁÉ¢, - ±Æ¢ø
    ãÊÅÕõ ÓØ¿¢Ä§Å¡
    ãÊÅÕõ ÓØ¿¢Ä§Å¡

Á£ý¸ÊìÌõ ¦ÁøÄ¢¾¨Æ
    ¿¡ý¸Êò¾¡ Ä¡¸¡¾¡
    §¾É¢ýÕº¢ ¦¾Ã¢ó¾Åý¿¡ý
    §¾É£Â¡ö Á¡§ÈÉ¡

ÁïºûâÍõ *¼¦ÁøÄ¡õ - ±ý
    ÁÉõâºø ¬¸¡¾¡
    ¦¸¡ïº¦Áý¨Éì ÌíÌÁÁ¡öì
    ̨Æò¦¾Îò¾¡ø Å¡§ÃÉ¡

ÀÊì¸ðÊø ²È¢ÅÕõ - ¯ý
    À¡¾ò¦¾Æ¢ø À¡÷ôÀ¾üÌ
    ÀÊì¸ðÊý ¿ÎŢɢ§Ä¡÷
    ÀĨ¸Â¡ö Á¡§ÈÉ¡

Ó측Öõ ãÊÁ¨ÈòÐ - µ÷
    ã¨Ä¢§Ä §À¡ö¿¢ýÚ
    ¦º¡ì¸¡¨Â ¢Ψ¸Â¢ø¿¡ý
    ¦º¡ì¸¡¸¢.. ´¨Äî ºÕ¸¡¸¢...
    ÓýÉ¢ýÚ À¡§ÃÉ¡

Post Thanks / Like

Era.Murugan (@ 131.*) on: Wed Dec 8 19:16:41

Thanx for JK's song, dear Venkat.

I think the MD is M.B.Srinivasan (or was it MSV?)

Murug

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast