Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tamil media - do they spread good values and culture

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some retirees are actually running after very energetic toddlers & tots! With pleasure & efficiency too!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    Some retirees are actually running after very energetic toddlers & tots! With pleasure & efficiency too!
    some ppl have greatness thrust upon them (meaning, not their choice)

I've told my kids that I've toiled and spent my entire productive time on bringing them up and when it comes to their children... I will be the doting grandparent - whenever they come visiting (is once a month too much? )
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shakespeare must be turning in his grave
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    PP ma'm,
    Good posts as always!
    Will revert in detail later as I'm rather busy now.....jus managed to drop in for a few mins. today!

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    I have a theory on the so-called westernisation of thamizh society in TN.

It is the nature of mankind to protect whatever is deemed to be dwindling, thus in communities where thamizhars are the minority, there is a conscious effort to uphold tradition and culture. Whereas, in the motherland, there are no such restrictions and people are confident enough to adapt to the natural growth of society.
    Indeed, NOV, you're right when it comes to minorities. I've seen so many Indians in this part of the world clinging to a conservativism that may have been the norm in India of the 1950s, but today seems outdated even in India.

It's not as simple as that as far as the motherland goes. When society adapts to changing conditions, there is always a liberal section which seeks to drag it, kicking and screaming, into the brave new world of modernity, and a conservative section which thinks that one should, if anything, return to the wonderful ways of a hundred years ago. For a culture to continue as a living tradition, you need both. Without the liberals, tradition will fossilise under the firmly dug heels of the conservatives; without the conservatives, it will disappear into the mire of eager overly-liberal change.

So let us conservatives gripe here about the Good Old Ways which are being forgotten. On our griping hinges the fate of posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Define Good Values and Culture....Everyone here differs on their difinition for this. What definition are we using for this debate?
    When I saw the request for a definition, I was certain this had to be Rohit! I see some good influence has rubbed off on you, Surya!
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketboy
    But what do you have to say to the families of those killed and injured along with Rajiv. Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis. I am definitely no supporter of the LTTE. But my sympathies lie with the Srilankan Tamils.
    Well I noticed how big a difference the experience of living in SL makes. Ask the SLankans who went through the misery(Indian army)
    From your perspective, you're right.

But IMHO i think India should step in before its too late. If its not for the Srilankan Tamils' cause atleast for the welfare of its own people. Last heard reports suggest that Srilankans have approached Pakistan and China for ammunition. This is not a good sign.
    For whom it's not a good sign? Srilankans?

selfishness.. You just care only if/when either China or Pakistan intervenes

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    But what do you have to say to the families of those killed and injured along with Rajiv. Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis. I am definitely no supporter of the LTTE. But my sympathies lie with the Srilankan Tamils.
    Well I noticed how big a difference the experience of living in SL makes. Ask the SLankans who went through the misery(Indian army)

But IMHO i think India should step in before its too late. If its not for the Srilankan Tamils' cause atleast for the welfare of its own people. Last heard reports suggest that Srilankans have approached Pakistan and China for ammunition. This is not a good sign.

Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice

First things first . I do know if it was not for the LTTE , the sinhalese vandals would have by now completely slaughtered the entire tamil population. I never supported and will never support the IPKF. I was merely saying that the LTTE shouldn't have done what it did in India.

And by Srilankans I meant the pro sinhalese Srilankan govt. Its not a good sign for both of us.

If I had hurt anyone , my apologies. Lets not pursue this topic anymore. I felt obliged to reply to your post.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567