Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Novels: Ponniyin Selvan vs Kadal Pura

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Historical Novels: Ponniyin Selvan vs Kadal Pura

Topic started by AK (@ sgigate.sgi.com) on Wed Nov 7 04:10:16 .

Hi,

I just finished "Kadal Pura" by Sandilyan and wanted to get some views on what others think of it. Someone on this forum recommended Kadal Pura as a great historical novel. I think I would have to disagree.

A historical novel is one which not only is set in historical times but also is built upon a series of historical events. Moreover, it also ought to comment upon the social melieu of those times. Sadly, Kadal pura was a huge disappointment in those terms. Although, the setting was historical and a couple of main characters were, almost none of the events had any historical basis.

It almost seemed at times like it was a Rajnikanth movie with its larger than life hero Karunakara Pallavan doing amazing deeds.

Ponniyin Selvan on the other hand was a joy to read. It discussed the political/social situation in the country... discussed the historical aspects.. with a lot of vivid imagination thrown in to boot.

I would love to hear comments from other people who have read both the books.

Cheers,

AK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

kik (@ tc2-*) on: Wed Nov 7 22:38:35

duh??!! What do you mean none of the events had a historical basis in KP vs. PS? Apart from the fact of Aditha Karikalan's death everything else is fictional in PS. Same way apart from (the future) war in Kalinga and Kulothungan's visit to kadaaram when he was still a prince everything in KP is fiction.

There is no social commentary in PS - political, definitely. Religious - in a couple places w/ saivas vs. vaishnavas. Sandilyan on the other hand, pontificates at the beginning of each chapter typically on philosophy, but on other issues as well - has little to with the what people living in that time might have felt and more to do with his personal opinions.

Kalki who wrote earlier was inspired by Dumas, Austen et al. Sandilyan's models/inspiration was from the next generation of historical fiction wirters such as Rafael Sabatini/Stanley Weyman etc. Sandilyan could have followed in Kalki's footsteps or chosen a different path - he chose the different path. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much appeal these days.

If what you're saying is that you liked the multiple points of view in PS, the diverse background of the characters, and the depth of characterization that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

AK (@ sgig*) on: Thu Nov 8 02:25:17

Kik,

There were quite a few historical personnel/events in Ponniyin Selvan.. far more than in kadal pura. also in Kadal Pura.. Sandilyan states that the "missing years" of Anabaayar where he is supposed to have gone to China as a Cholan envoy forms the basis for the novel. Fine.. but what after that?

Also, there IS quite a bit of "social" commentary in PS as in how people live.. their religious functions.. their day to day activities.. something missing from Sandilyan...

IMHO, historical novels ought to be more like what Dumas wrote.. centred on certain historical events but with vivid imagination so that it can almost spring alive in the reader's mind... Sandilyan unfortunately seems to have used the historical setting.. but again.. way too much of the "masala" in it for it to be a truly historical novel.. after a while I felt as if I was reading just another book with of course an odd historical reference or two thrown in.

In Sivakamiyin Sabatham for eg, right at the start.. Kalki lists out about 8 irrefutable historical events which occured and about which the stories are based.. yes quite a few characters are imaginary.. but he does set out which are which. (Of course I am talking about SS as the book.. not as the "thodar").

Cheers,

AK

Post Thanks / Like

kik (@ ts4-*) on: Thu Nov 8 23:47:06

AK: Let's not bring SS into this - let's focus on PS & KP only. KP's history - there was discrimination against tamil merchants in Kalinga, piracy increased in the SE Asian straits preying on the rich trade between India and SE Asia. There was a kingdom in Sri Vijaya - its rightful King was driven out of the kingdom and landed in India asking for Chola assistance to get his throne back. This was given to him. He gave as presents/tribute the famous golden/silver doors etc. of his palace (it's been 10 years or more since I last read KP). You might say that this is still very little history and too general. So is PS - apart from karikaalan's death we know nothing about the times. We know all the chieftains lived, chola troops were in Sri Lanka, the king had 3 children. That's it - there's even no reason to believe vanthiyathevan was a poor unknown.

As for the so-called 'social' commentary - this is all gupsa. No history of the (early) chola times points these details out definitively. The comments about religious and day-to-day activities are equally true of pallava times (late 8th cent) as also the second pandyan age 'til the very early 15th century.

Dumas vs. 'masala' - this is an age-old debate about how history is made: is it by almost super-human heroes like Napoleon or the activities of a diverse set of actors cutting across different sections of society. If I remember right, these are referred to as the big man/little man theories of history. The little man theory has become more popular today.

Post Thanks / Like

AK (@ sgig*) on: Fri Nov 9 00:50:57

Kik:

My main point is that, seen in a literary perspective... KP seems almost like a "pulp fiction" novel for some reason... maybe because of the larger than life heroics of Karunakara Pallavan...

Again purely from a literary point of view, IMHO, KP has to take second spot to PS... just the way it was written...

I guess there will always be two opinions on this.. Anyhoo.. thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,

AK

Post Thanks / Like

Ganesha (@ 203.*) on: Sun Nov 25 10:18:01

I've read both the KP and PS...to me KP was more appealing in the angle of historical happenings.

Post Thanks / Like

Manthiravathy (@ volc*) on: Mon Nov 26 01:36:13

There is no doubt that PS is more popular than KP among us. The reason is PS talks about everliving greatest king of the Tamils Rajaraja Cholan. But Karunakara Thondaiman is not an unknown character in the history of Tamils. He himself was a pallava king (Sitrarasan) served the Chola dynasty under Anabaaya Cholan. The great Tamil parani poetry Kalingathu parani says what happened in the war between Cholas and kalingas (present Orissa). Jayangodaar praises directly the great of Anabaaya chola chakravarthy but saying the greatness of the war, he portrays how tough Karunakaran was against the Tamils enemy. Anabaaya Cholan is a great grandson of the great Rajaraja Cholan. Chandilyan might have felt Karunakara Thondaiman should be portrayed properly for his war against kalingas and how loyal and close he was to his king and friend Anabaaya Cholan.

Post Thanks / Like

. (@ 202.*) on: Fri Dec 21 22:05:36

Post Thanks / Like

ManthiravAthy (@ ) on: Mon Jan 21 06:04:54

Nobody to discuss anymore. Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Suresh (@ 210.*) on: Thu Jan 24 02:59:05

IMO, Sandilyan's stories are read more for
    tiltilating varnanais about the "handling" of good structured females by hero (add to it 'Latha's plumpy drawings). Several years
    of Kumudam sales was dependant on that.

BTB, KP's description of puyal and VellaM in
    sea was more exhaustive and dramatic than the
    one showed in Guns of Navarone. Not sure if any
    story or tamil movie showed such a detailed
    description of the cyclone in sea. Sandilyan
    had done a wonderful job..

Yavana Rani is one more story where you feel
    like reading the book at one stretch..

There was one more (last) story by Sandilyan
    which came in Kumudam - used to be competition
    between two heroines - both superb kattais..
    one was manjal nayagi or something..

Nowadays we do miss historical story writers
    in tamil. That way Sandilyan was the last
    "readable" (IMHO) historical tamil novel writer.

Suresh

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast