Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~~Market Updates~~~

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

~~~Market Updates~~~

After a firm opening on Monday, the markets slipped into the red with the benchmark index crashing 1100 points to 9826 levels in intra-day trade.

The trading has been suspended for an hour as the indices hit the lower circuit. This is the biggest intra-day fall for Sensex ever.

In the broader markets, the Nifty shed 10.8 per cent or 350 points. It is hovering at 2896 levels.

The markets on Monday saw the use of index-based circuit breakers for the second time after they were introduced on June 28, 2001. They got activated for the first time on May 17, 2004.

The crash followed a statement by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) seeking to dispel suggestions that its draft circular was ambiguous.

Leading the pack of losers at the Sensex is Tata Motors. The counter slipped 13.2 per cent or Rs 112. NTPC, BHEL, HDFC Bank, Cipla and Hindalco are the other key losers.

The market breadth is extremely negative with all the BSE 30 and NSE 50 scrips trading in the red.

Capital goods worst hit

The BSE capital goods index slipped 14.4 per cent or 1120 points. It is the biggest loser among sectoral indices.

Alstom Projects, Thermax Limited and Siemens India shed close to 20 per cent each. Greaves Cotton, Larsen & Toubro and HEG Limited slipped over 15 per cent each.

Weakness is also seen in metal counters. The BSE metal index slipped 13.4 per cent or 1166 points. Sterlite Industries at Rs 325 levels plunged 20.2 per cent or Rs 82.

Hindustan Zinc (down 20 per cent), Jindal Stainless (down 20 per cent), Sesa Goa (down 17.5 per cent), Tata Steel (down 17.2 per cent), Jindal Steel & Power (down 17 per cent) and SAIL (down 12 per cent) are the other key losers.

http://www.ndtvprofit.com/homepage/s...1331&template=

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber thamizhvaanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually BSE was riding high right for the past few months g8?
    A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the draft resolution by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to tax long term capital gains the reason for this fall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever invested in BSE when it was around 14000 levels may stand to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont get it! wat resolution? any explanation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sgokulprathap
    Is the draft resolution by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to tax long term capital gains the reason for this fall?
    thats one of the main reason FII are not investing after that.

Even the global commodity market is not stable.

Those are interested in investing in shares this is the right time to invest as the value of the share are drastically dropping and defn the share price will be normal in few weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thamizhvaanan
    At present, only short-term gains are taxed. i.e. if u buy a stock and sell it within an year, u wil b taxed for ur gains. Only in certain cases, longterm gains(>1 yr) r taxed.

But the draft resolution by CBDT says it is considering to tax all longterm gains in stock market.

Also in current scenario, FIIs (Foreign Institutional Investors) r not taxed much. So by taxing longterm gains, they may also b come under tax burden.

Post Thanks / Like
    but will it not be a loss, if the market stabilises around a value lower than the current one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, this is the right time for investors to invest. Many of the bluechip (Shares in BSE and NSE) shares r now under valued.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sgokulprathap
    Quote Originally Posted by thamizhvaanan
    At present, only short-term gains are taxed. i.e. if u buy a stock and sell it within an year, u wil b taxed for ur gains. Only in certain cases, longterm gains(>1 yr) r taxed.

But the draft resolution by CBDT says it is considering to tax all longterm gains in stock market.

Also in current scenario, FIIs (Foreign Institutional Investors) r not taxed much. So by taxing longterm gains, they may also b come under tax burden.

oh i get it somewat!!

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast