Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Mushrooms

I love mushrooms . How do u make mushroom curry to go with Chappathi? Please give me other interesting Mushroom recipes.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi alan,

u will find a few good 'mushroom curry' recipes in the first page of Mrs.Mano's thread.

also there r some sites mentioned by her in pg74 which u can find useful.

regards,
    rain

Senior Member Devoted Hubber tomato's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here r a few mushroom curries that I have tried. They go well with chapathi as well as with ghee rice/jeera rice.

This is a recipe posted be dev. I have made it many times and liked it.

Here is a recipe for Mushroom curry which i read from a cookbook... I tried it Y'day & it was just great...

Ingredients
    10 large button mushrooms, quartered
    1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
    2 tablespoons onion paste
    1 teaspoon tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
    3 tablespoons curds
    1/4 teaspoon garam masala
    1 tablespoon oil
    Salt to taste
    For garnish
    2 tablespoons chopped coriander

Method
    1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the ginger-garlic paste and the onion paste and saute for some time.
    2. Add the tomato puree and chilli powder and stir for some time.
    3. Add the mushrooms and saute till they are tender.
    4. Finally, add the curd, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
    5. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with chapathi

Instead of onion paste,tomato paste & gin-gar paste i chopped everything & sauted onion,gin ,gar in 1 tsp oil...& then added tomatoes..cooked for a min...took off the flame & let cool...& the ground it with chilli powder & added back to the pan & let boil for a while with little water & proceeded as given in the recipe. This way we can reduce the consumption of oil.Remember not to cook for a long time afer adding the curd...just mix it & take off flame...

This is a recipe by Mrs mano.

MASHROOM MASALA:

INGREDIENTS:

Mushroom- 250 gms
    Coconut paste- 1/2 cup
    Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
    Oil- 3 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    Grind the following ingredients in to a fine paste:
    Red chillies-6
    Peppercorns- 1 tsp
    Cardamom- 2
    Cloves- 2
    Cinnamon pieces-2
    Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
    Sambar onions- a handful
    Garlic flakes- 6

Procedure:

Add the ground paste, turmeric powder and enough salt with the mushrooms and mix well. Pour the oil in a pan and heat it. Add the mushroom mixture and fry well on medium fire until they are cooked. At the final stage, add the coconut paste and mix well. Fry for a few seconds and put off the fire. Decorate with chopped coriander leaves.

P. S: I tried it with baby corn. and it was great. I'm sure it will taste great with mushrooms too.

One more recipe that I tried and liked - again by Mrs. Mano.

BABY CORN AND PALAK MASALA:

Ingredients:

Bay corns- 1/2 kilo
    Chopped palak- 2 cups
    Crushed tomato-2 cups
    Chopped onion- 1
    Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
    Salt to taste
    Chopped coriander leaves- 3 tbsp
    Oil- 4 tbsp
    Grind the following ingredients in to a fine paste:
    Coriander powder-2 tsp
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
    Peppercorns- 10
    Ginger- 1/2 tsp
    Small garlic flakes-5

Procedure:

Blanch the spinach leaves in hot water. Remove, drain and puree in a food processor to a fine paste. Cut the baby corns into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat a pan and pour the oil. Saute the bay corns with the onion for a few minutes. Add the turmeric powder and the ground paste and fry for a few seconds. Then add the crushed tomatoes and fry for a few minutes. Add a little water and cook the bay corns until they become tender and the gravy is thickened. Add the ground palak with the coriander leaves. Cook the gravy until every thing is well blended.

P. S: I have made it both with mushrooms and baby corn. Both tasted great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Rain & Tomato.
    Tomato, I'll try these & let you know. I haven't tried Mrs. Mano's recipes yet. At present, I was trying various Dhabha recipes.
    Thankyou tomato!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alan,

I make this stir fried mushroom that is really simple to make and works really well as a snack or starter.

Just quarter or halve the cleaned button mushrooms to bite-sized pieces. Finely mince garlic and green chillies. Both according to your capacity.

Heat some olive oil, just 1 or 2 tsps should be sufficient (if u're not counting calories, u can be as generous as u like). Fry the garlic till just browning, add the minced green chillies, some red chilli flakes, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of dried mixed herbs or italian herbs crushed and salt to taste. Stir this for a few seconds and add the prepared mushrooms. Stir fry on med-high heat till done and all the mushrooms are well coated with the seasoning mix. It should be moist but not wet.

As a variation, you can also add any individual herb of ur choice or even chopped fresh basil.

This is a favourite with my husband and my folks and appreciated by everyone who has eaten it.

Thattai

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Thattai

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan,

a couple of weeks ago I had a few mushrooms and nothing to go with it so I made this dish and it came out well...

Clean and quarter mushrooms.

To a pan add some oil, add tomato paste to it and stir well, once that is cooked add some curry powder (or sambar powder) to it. and then add the mushrooms and some greens ( I added mint, corriander, and some spinach to it) and salt and let it cook... lovely saag mushroom was ready in no time

Another standard recipe I use is

Fry medium chopped onions in oil, add some curry paste and fry till the raw smell is gone and to this add cleaned and quartered mushrooms, chopped capsicum and potatoes, cover and cook till veggies are well cooked, a dish to go with chappatis or rice.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, Anoushka.

I believe you are working woman. Does your hubby help you with the cooking?

My marriage will be in April as soon as my fiance completes her House Surgency. And she doesn't know cooking at all. I'm just trying to learn up as many short-cuts in cooking by then, so that things will be easy for her.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Alan, I am a working woman and my hubby does help me in cooking/household work! But generally he would leave the major part of cooking to me as both of love variety and he can only do the standard rice, dal, subzi routine!

Good to know about your wedding Congrats! As such I never knew cooking till I left India, once I reached here and I realised that there was nobody to cook for me I started cooking! I am sure your fiance will learn cooking in no time!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I hope such a miracle happens with her too! She's a darling lazy goose! She's even planning to take a whole year off before trying for her MD entrance. Ever heard of anyone doing that? LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast