Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glenn McGrath

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    true...... see in case of the great odi match..........australian batsmen made runs but there were no bowlers to take wickets controlling the flow of runs......they just couldnt stop the whacking of proteas........thats where mcgrath is needed...and there were other matches as u had said before were australia lose because of no good bowling in the likes of mcgrath and warne......
    Quote Originally Posted by captain
    Only reason is that Pollock is playing for SA and McGrath for Australia. Australia is full of match winners, so even if Mcgrath gets two wickets their team wins, while that's not the case for Pollock.

Let's say McGrath and Pollock get 5 for 50. Australia have a better batting line up so they're able to chase a target of 300 easily. McGrath will probably get the MOM award. For Pollock, that's not the case, SA probably will lose because of their batting line up that's not as great as Australia. That's all in general, please don't be particular about one or two matches.

I agree, both are great bowlers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/246113.html

Return of the 'Pidge'

McGrath targets Champions Trophy return

Cricinfo staff

May 4, 2006

McGrath celebrates: A sight 542 victims are already familiar with and many more will be from October onwards when he returns © Getty Images

In the meticulous fashion that we have come to expect from such a metronomic great, Glenn McGrath has chalked out his comeback plan into the Australian side. McGrath has revealed that he intends to make his comeback in the Champions Trophy in India in October, play a few domestic matches and then immerse himself fully in the task of regaining the Ashes.

McGrath, Test cricket's most successful fast bowler with 542 wickets, has not played a game of cricket since his wife, Jane, was re-diagnosed with cancer on February 3. He missed Australia's tours of South Africa and Bangladesh recently but with his wife's health steadily improving, he is aiming to be fully fit to lead his side's attack by the time the Ashes roll along in November.

McGrath's plans ostensibly ignore the advice his captain, Ricky Ponting, gave him recently, urging him to bypass the Champions Trophy altogether and instead arrange a county stint in England to enable him to have some long and repeated bowling spells and regain match fitness.

But McGrath told The Daily Telegraph (Australia) that he is eager to play in India. "Personally, I feel that it would be perfect for me to [play in the Champions Trophy] and have a couple of games in the Pura Cup [domestic competition]. That's my plan. But if they [selectors] would prefer me to look at county cricket, I would look at that."

Ponting's advice was based on the belief that McGrath traditionally takes longer to settle into a rhythm and he was keen therefore to avoid having to ease McGrath into the Ashes, which are due to begin from November 23. Andrew Hilditch, chairman of selectors, also confirmed this week that McGrath was "gearing himself up" to be ready for the tournament. McGrath, who has begun pre-season training, added: "I've got no doubts at all that I will be definitely ready to go. Now we've got to see what the best preparation is."

Jane McGrath was diagnosed with cancer for a third time earlier this year and although she's not yet out of the woods, McGrath said his wife seemed to be winning the fight. "She's still going through treatment [but] it's only once every three weeks at the moment, so it's not too arduous and she's coping really well. He said it was a "little too early" to say his wife had turned the corner but added: "there's still ongoing stuff and over the next few months we'll see hopefully a big change there."

© Cricinfo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234