Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prayer room is a very important thing in every house !

Many ppl who plan their houses today, give importance like a big hall that has all facililties, a nice bed room, kitchen n all those stuffs ... but forget about a prayer room !

This is the only place where u can really find the real meaning of PEACE .....

So friends, please keep some place aside in ur house for a prayer room !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we prostrate before parents and elders?

Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily, when we meet elders and particularly on important occasions like the beginning of a new task, birthdays, festivals etc. In certain traditional circles, prostration is accompanied by abhivaadana, which serves to introduce one-self, announce one’s family and social stature.

Man stands on his feet. Touching the feet in prostration is a sign of respect for the age, maturity, nobility and divinity that our elders personify. It symbolizes our recognition of their selfless love for us and the sacrifices they have done for our welfare. It is a way of humbly acknowledging the greatness of another. This tradition reflects the strong family ties, which has been one of India’s enduring strengths.

The good wishes (Sankalpa) and blessings (aashirvaada) of elders are highly valued in India. We prostrate to seek them. Good thoughts create positive vibrations. Good wishes springing from a heart full of love, divinity and nobility have a tremendous strength. When we prostrate with humility and respect, we invoke the good wishes and blessings of elders, which flow in the form of positive energy to envelop us. This is why the posture assumed whether it is in the standing or prone position, enables the entire body to receive the energy thus received.
    The different forms of showing respect are :

Pratuthana - rising to welcome a person.
    Namaskaara - paying homage in the form of namaste
    Upasangrahan - touching the feet of elders or teachers.
    Shaashtaanga - prostrating fully with the feet, knees, stomach, chest, forehead and arms touching the ground in front of the elder.
    Pratyabivaadana - returning a greeting.

Rules are prescribed in our scriptures as to who should prostrate to whom. Wealth, family name, age, moral strength and spiritual knowledge in ascending order of importance qualified men to receive respect. This is why a king though the ruler of the land, would prostrate before a spiritual master. Epics like the Ramayana and Mahabharata have many stories highlighting this aspect.

Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthi
    Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily,
    Is it still??
    In how many places in India, atleast in cities?
    I'm not insisting tat prostrating b4 all elders (apart from parents) is a *must* but atleast we shud maintain our traditional 'namaskaram' whle greeting them......I mostly see 'hellos' & even 'hi's' (wich sound out of place in this context!) these days......!
    I've made it a point to greet a 'namaste' to atleast women/elderly ppl.......most of them seem to be happy to acknowledge this gesture.....
    Neways, altho I don't altogether dismiss them, my personal opinion on rituals in our religion is wat Swami Vivekananda says......religion is not in books, theories, rituals or dogmas......it is in being & becoming.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont thing now a days anyone does that.

I have never done that in my life nor have I scene anyone do it in real life. I also dont find people saying Namaskaram. With elders I always greet them by their title (uncle, grandfather in my own language ofcource).

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a custom in only a few particular communities!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily,
    Is it still?

Lambretta: You will be surprised to know it is still done, even in the US. Some of the Indian youngsters here wanted our blessings and insisted on prostrating. I had to yield even though I felt uncomfortable. They feel happy that they have our blessings.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Is it still??
    In how many places in India, atleast in cities?
    I'm not insisting tat prostrating b4 all elders (apart from parents) is a *must* but atleast we shud maintain our traditional 'namaskaram' whle greeting them......I mostly see 'hellos' & even 'hi's' (wich sound out of place in this context!) these days......!
    I've made it a point to greet a 'namaste' to atleast women/elderly ppl.......most of them seem to be happy to acknowledge this gesture.....
    Neways, altho I don't altogether dismiss them, my personal opinion on rituals in our religion is wat Swami Vivekananda says......religion is not in books, theories, rituals or dogmas......it is in being & becoming.
    Hi Lambretta,
    when I was with my parents, I used to bow down b4 going to school/college/examinations. Even today in Bombay my cousins( they are married and having kids ) b4 going to office they Stretched out and lying at full length along the ground.
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajraj
    Lambretta: You will be surprised to know it is still done, even in the US. Some of the Indian youngsters here wanted our blessings and insisted on prostrating. I had to yield even though I felt uncomfortable. They feel happy that they have our blessings.
    Rajraj sir, good to hear abt these youngsters (r they from India or ABCDs btw?)
    And btw, y wud u feel uncomf'ble abt it?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lambretta: These are young couples with children from India and some of my Indian students . You feel uncomfortable when one couple wants it while others don't. I think they understood that and waited till everyone left or they came back to visit us. It is their way of saying 'thank you' for being there for them. We are uncle and aunty for them!
    Some ABCDs touch the feet of the elders.

No need for 'Sir'. Raj is fine!
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajraj
    Lambretta: These are young couples with children from India and some of my Indian students . You feel uncomfortable when one couple wants it while others don't. I think they understood that and waited till everyone left or they came back to visit us. It is their way of saying 'thank you' for being there for them. We are uncle and aunty for them!
    Some ABCDs touch the feet of the elders.

No need for 'Sir'. Raj is fine!
    Raj ! That was so awesome ! You are a Gentleman !

Well, i strongly support the very habit of prostrating before all good people ! But i too also strongly believe that the takers shld be really worthy enough to take the prostration ! Just age does not decide ! But the amount of Punniyam they do, the amount of pujas and good deeds they do ! The amount of annadhaanam they do ....all these matters !
    As per certain rules, we are not supposed to touch their feet when u do namaskaram, except the feet of ur parents or grand parents ... for all others we shld not touch their feet ! Even gurus normally dont allow ppl to touch their feet !
    Even today, just like Aarthi, i do prostrate before my parents n grandparents before goin to exams n on all auspicious days !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast