Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Arthi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE?

Dear all,

we may say that ritualism is only the husk of religion. But without the husk the seed will not grow. When the sower goes out to sow, he takes paddy and not rice. He knows that, if the husk is removed, life goes out of the seed and his sowing will be in vain. Thus ritualism has some vital functions assigned to it in religion.

Shall We discuss about our Hindu Rituals & Why are we following rituals and what is the meaning behind it ???
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    My First Question & Answer

1. Why do we light a lamp?

In almost every Indian home a lamp is lit daily before the altar of the Lord. In some houses it is lit at dawn, in some, twice a day – at dawn and dusk – and in a few it is maintained continuously (Akhanda Deepa). All auspicious functions commence with the lighting of the lamp, which is often maintained right through the occasion.

Light symbolizes knowledge, and darkness, ignorance. The Lord is the "Knowledge Principle" (Chaitanya) who is the source, the enlivener and the illuminator of all knowledge. Hence light is worshiped as the Lord himself.

Knowledge removes ignorance just as light removes darkness. Also knowledge is a lasting inner wealth by which all outer achievement can be accomplished. Hence we light the lamp to bow down to knowledge as the greatest of all forms of wealth.

Why not light a bulb or tube light? That too would remove darkness. But the traditional oil lamp has a further spiritual significance. The oil or ghee in the lamp symbolizes our vaasanas or negative tendencies and the wick, the ego. When lit by spiritual knowledge, the vaasanas get slowly exhausted and the ego too finally perishes. The flame of a lamp always burns upwards. Similarly we should acquire such knowledge as to take us towards higher ideals.

Whilst lighting the lamp we thus pray:
    Deepajyothi parabrahma
    Deepa sarva tamopahaha
    Deepena saadhyate saram
    Sandhyaa deepo namostute

I prostrate to the dawn/dusk lamp; whose light is the Knowledge Principle (the Supreme Lord), which removes the darkness of ignorance and by which all can be achieved in life.
    Sarva dharman parithyajya mamekam sharanam vraja, aham thva sarvapapebhyo mokshayishyami ma suchaha

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a good start

We have a lot rituals which basically are believed to be simply of no use .... but NO .... every ritual has an inner meaning ! Everything is having a scientific background !
    U might say, when u ask the meaning of some ritual, your parents are not able to say that ! The meanings of do n donts, rituals are written in Vedas, n one who knows Vedas, would really know the true meaning of all these ....... May be they do not knw, or they might not have asked their elders .....
    The current generation are really open minded, would accept anything when their questions are answered ........

Some more to add to your thread !

Why do we Chant AUM or OM ?

Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the one who chants and also on the surroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with Om.

All auspicious actions begin with Om. It is even used as a greeting - Om, Hari Om etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplated upon or used as an auspicious sign.

Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is made up of the letters A (phonetically as in "around"), U (phonetically as in "put") and M (phonetically as in "mum"). The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as "A". With the coming together of the lips, "U" is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end in "M".

The three letters symbolize the three states (waking, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva), the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah) etc. The Lord is all these and beyond.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two Om Chants. Om is also called pranava that means, "that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised". The entire essence of the Vedas is enshrined in the word Om. It is said that the Lord started creating the world after chanting Om and atha. Hence its sound is considered to create an auspicious beginning for any task that we undertake. The Om chant should have the resounding sound of a bell ( aaooommm).

Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolizes Lord Ganesha's. The upper curve is the head; the lower large one, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semi-circular mark with the dot, the sweetmeat ball (modaka) in Lord Ganesha's hand. Thus Om symbolizes everything - the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all form and the Formless.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a good start

Good Work n a Good Start

We have a lot rituals which basically are believed to be simply of no use .... but NO .... every ritual has an inner meaning ! Everything is having a scientific background !
    U might say, when u ask the meaning of some ritual, your parents are not able to say that ! The meanings of do n donts, rituals are written in Vedas, n one who knows Vedas, would really know the true meaning of all these ....... May be they do not knw, or they might not have asked their elders .....
    The current generation are really open minded, would accept anything when their questions are answered ........

Some more to add to your thread !

Why do we Chant AUM or OM ?

Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the one who chants and also on the surroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with Om.

All auspicious actions begin with Om. It is even used as a greeting - Om, Hari Om etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplated upon or used as an auspicious sign.

Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is made up of the letters A (phonetically as in "around"), U (phonetically as in "put") and M (phonetically as in "mum"). The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as "A". With the coming together of the lips, "U" is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end in "M".

The three letters symbolize the three states (waking, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva), the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah) etc. The Lord is all these and beyond.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two Om Chants. Om is also called pranava that means, "that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised". The entire essence of the Vedas is enshrined in the word Om. It is said that the Lord started creating the world after chanting Om and atha. Hence its sound is considered to create an auspicious beginning for any task that we undertake. The Om chant should have the resounding sound of a bell ( aaooommm).

Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolizes Lord Ganesha's. The upper curve is the head; the lower large one, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semi-circular mark with the dot, the sweetmeat ball (modaka) in Lord Ganesha's hand. Thus Om symbolizes everything - the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all form and the Formless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Explanation bingleguy

The main Purpose of starting this thread is... I have so many doubts but I know that whatever we are following it has a deep meaning!

I always believe that whatever our ancestors follow we should also follow... am also following how much ever I can but I do not know the meaning...
    I have many doubts to ask...
    I also belong to current generation only but I never say that I wld accept anything when my questions are answered , becoz I feel when we start asking question which is not answerable by our elders, then we can’t teach anything to our next generation... so follow our rituals when ever you get the opportunity to learn the meaning learn it

Post Thanks / Like
    The main Purpose of starting this thread is... I have so many doubts but I know that whatever we are following it has a deep meaning!
    That was a good intention indeed .... Infact some are blessed with grandpas n grandmas who are well versed in Vedas, one is me ! So probably there could be a place where something never goes un-answered ......

I also belong to current generation only but I never say that I wld accept anything when my questions are answered , becoz I feel when we start asking question which is not answerable by our elders, then we can’t teach anything to our next generation.
    Well the current generation i meant, are the kids, from 1 - 20 years.... They do the most of questioning these days .... we need to definitely carry some answer to our next gen, that is current gen !

Simply lets not follow rituals ...
    Lets understand the meaning of the same n then do it !

Put forth ur questions .......ppl here on this HUB can try answering ur ques .........

Post Thanks / Like
    My First Question

Can ladies read Vedas..., some mantras are specifically for Gents only, why it is so?

Post Thanks / Like

Excerpt on Ladies chanting !

I also recall reading some recent news articles
    about some parts in North-India where 'women priests' conduct
    ceremonies such as marriage, upanayana etc.

I think times are indeed changing and there's equal opportunity
    education and employment in these areas also.

But as far as I have heard or read, women are forbidden from reciting or reading the vedas including the 'pranava-mantram'. By reading of the puranas and the itihaasas they can attain to the same state or better than their male counterparts. Also they can chant quite a variety of mantras. By merely chanting 'rama-naama' they can achieve moksham.

Sabari or more recently Meera did not read the vedas. All that they
    knew were Rama and Krishna and they are held in higher regard than someone who merely studied vedas in their times.

For women, I have heard that their "nitya-agnihotram", is their
    cooking chores, their "nitya-karma" is taking care of the needs of
    people at home and their "moksha-saadhana" could be reading of the puranas and chanting simple yet invaluable mantras such as the "rama-naama".

In this correspondence so far, there has beeen no direct quote from Vedas itself that lays down an injunction against ladies chanting the Vedas. What we know definitely is only that in the past, our ancestors were following the practice of ladies being Saha-dharmini's only, assisting their husbands in performing the vedic rituals.

There could be any number of reasons for the origin of this injunction against ladies. What we have to consider however, is whether there is any reason now to continue this past practice without reducing the sanctity of the Vedas. Our Dharma follows the healthy principle indicated long afterwards in the following lines of Tennyson in Morte d'Arthur:

Old order changeth, yielding place to new;
    And God fulfills himself in many ways -
    Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Unlike other religions, Sanatana Dharma is a constantly evolving Dharma, much like the perennial and purifying river Ganga, renewing itself constantly and thereby continuing to remain fresh, current and pure. (It is still pure in the upper reaches in the Himalayas, as those who undertake the yatra to Badri will confirm!).

In the past, the custom might have been necessary and good, keeping in view the living conditions which prevailed in those days. So much has changed since then and in such radical ways too. By opting for continuing this old good custom, we might be denying the healthy development of interest in the Vedas and the spreading of vedic teachings in the present times. Many ladies who have excelled in academic persuits and engaged in public service are competent to study Vedic scriptures and contribute their profound thinking on various issues. Why deny the Vedas that we revere the active and dynamic support of 51% of the population and restrict it to Males only many of whom, perhaps, fulfill only the qualification based on gender. We need many more individuals of the caliber of Gargi, Maitreyi and Andal to propogate Vedic teachings in this materialistic-value-centered age and times.

Let us thank our ancestors for not prescribing a rigid, unchangeable constitution in the Vedas and barring the ladies for all times. For, if they had done so, our religion could not be the unique sanatana dharma that it is today -- with strenth and vitality that comes only through the medium of change, enabling more of us to choose and travel on the path to the changeless One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we not touch papers, books and people with the feet?

To Indians, knowledge is sacred and divine. So it must be given respect at all times. Nowadays we separate subjects as sacred and secular. But in ancient India every subject - academic or spiritual - was considered divine and taught by the guru in the gurukula.

The custom of not stepping on educational tools is a frequent reminder of the high position accorded to knowledge in Indian culture. From an early age, this wisdom fosters in us a deep reverence for books and education. This is also the reason why we worship books, vehicles and instruments once a year on Saraswathi Pooja or Ayudha Pooja day, dedicated to the Goddess of Learning. In fact, each day before starting our studies, we pray:

Saraswati namasthubhyam
    Varade kaama roopini
    Vidyaarambham karishyaami
    Sidhirbhavatu me sadaa

O Goddess Saraswati, the giver of
    Boons and fulfiller of wishes,
    I prostrate to You before
    starting my studies.
    May you always fulfill me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we have a prayer room?

Most Indian homes have a prayer room or altar. A lamp is lit and the Lord worshipped each day. Other spiritual practices like japa (repetition of the Lord’s name), meditation, paaraayana (reading of the scriptures), prayers, and devotional singing etc is also done here. Special worship is done on auspicious occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, festivals and the like. Each member of the family - young or old - communes with and worships the Divine here.

The Lord is the entire creation. He is therefore the true owner of the house we live in too. The prayer room is the Master room of the house. We are the earthly occupants of His property. This notion rids us of false pride and possessiveness.

The ideal attitude to take is to regard the Lord as the true owner of our homes and us as caretakers of His home. But if that is rather difficult, we could at least think of Him as a very welcome guest. Just as we would house an important guest in the best comfort, so too we felicitate the Lord’s presence in our homes by having a prayer room or altar, which is, at all times, kept clean and well-decorated.

Also the Lord is all pervading. To remind us that He resides in our homes with us, we have prayer rooms. Without the grace of the Lord, no task can be successfully or easily accomplished. We invoke His grace by communing with Him in the prayer room each day and on special occasions.

Each room in a house is dedicated to a specific function like the bedroom for resting, the drawing room to receive guests, the kitchen for cooking etc. The furniture, decor and the atmosphere of each room are made conducive to the purpose it serves. So too for the purpose of meditation, worship and prayer, we should have a conducive atmosphere - hence the need for a prayer room.

Sacred thoughts and sound vibrations pervade the place and influence the minds of those who spend time there. Spiritual thoughts and vibrations accumulated through regular meditation, worship and chanting done there pervade the prayer room. Even when we are tired or agitated, by just sitting in the prayer room for a while, we feel calm, rejuvenated and spiritually uplifted.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast