Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSS, One of the best singers in India, died.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

MSS, One of the best singers in India, died.

MS SUBBULAKSMI,
    One of the best Carnatic singers in the History of Indian Singers passes away.

http://www.rediff.com/style/1998/jan...~in~springtime

She was the best, Carnatic, Devotional, singer.
    I thought that she was the best at Sanskrit and Tamil. Sad News.
    Back after a while...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really a great loss to the classical music fraternity

I recollect with fond memory when she came to my school Annual Day in 1989 to inagurate a statue with rendition of Bhaja Govindam.

Gandhiji invited MS to sing Vaishnavo Janato on Independence Day 1947.

Here is MS at the UNO concert in 1966 with Ghatam Vinayak Ram and Lalgudi Jayaraman.
    http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~vhari/ms/MSimage/unc.jpg

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well Surya I too agree that MS was a wonderful singer...but your poll is not fair...her talents pitted against everyone else's? Im sure her fans dont have to favour her over another...they all have their special places illaya?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.M.S. passing away is very sad.Her Vishnu Sahasranamam and Bhaja Govindam cassette is supposed to be the best selling cassette for over 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my opinion is that she is better than Sudha Ragunathan, and Nithyashree. The emotions that I feel when I hear her sing, I don't feel, when the other ones do.

Espicially devotion ones.
    Here's a list of her real good ones.
    Sudha Brahma Parathpara Ram...... When I first heard her sing this, I got goosebumps, sometimes when you get very emotional, you get goosebumps right? Like that.

And Hanuman Chalisa was mindblowing. I've heard I think, Nityashree, not sure, sing Hanuman Chalisa, and its not even half as good. MSS has done some very good tamil ones also, for ex: Kurai Ondrum Illai... was by her which was amazing.

Don't take me wrong, I think that the new singers are also good and very talented, but just not as good when compared to MSS when she was in her Prime.

Just like saying that Vikram is a good actor, but nothing compared to someone like Shivaji or Kamal when they was in their prime.

Regards. 8)
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by viggop
    Her Vishnu Sahasranamam and Bhaja Govindam cassette is supposed to be the best selling cassette for over 40 years.
    Her voice is enchanting, and her poruncation of Sanskrit is or shoudl I say 'was' perfect. But she stopped singing after her husband died right?

Well, hopefully we will have someone with a voice like her's again.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Surya
    As Querida said,it is not correct to compare like this. Carnatic music,in my opinion, is associated with Bhakthi.People experience Bhakthi through it.
    It does not matter who sings it as long it takes you closer to God.
    Listening to carnatic music takes away hate,anger and other base things when you immerse yourself in it.

I think modern carnatic musicians experiment more.They are not bound by strict tradition as yesteryear artistes were.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been a huge fan of MS but i should admit that her voice in songs like her "kARRinilE varum geetham" in her film "meera" and her rendition of "Vaishnava janato" have charmed me - just by the sheer dedication and mesmerism that her voice exuded.

Born in a community - which was socially "isolated" - her ascension as one of the most well-known musical legends of india - was meteoric and historical.

The United Front govt.(1996-1998) under I.K.Gujral awarded her "Bharath Ratna" (along with C. Subramaniyam & APJ Abdul Kalam) in the year 1997 - which was a great honor - in accordance with her exalted status as "Isaikuyil" of india.

A great renderer who evoked awe and admiration of Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi - MS indeed, was a precious gem to the world of indian music.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vishnu sahasranamam and Suprabhatam by MSS demolishes the
    myth that only brahmins can have mastery over sanskrit.
    Listening to her Suprabhatam daily morning is as ritual
    as drinking a kapee.

Post Thanks / Like
    M.S. was also the first woman to receive the Prestigious Sangeetha Kalanidhi award from Music Academy.The judges who recommended her name was Semmagudi Srinivasa Iyer(her own guru) and Musiri Subrahmanya Iyer(another carnatic music great).
    She learnt padams and javali's from Brinda(of Brinda-Muktha fame) along with Semmagudi.I also heard that she had a Bengali as her guru to teach her Bengali music.

Sad that Semmagudi too passed away this year at the age of 95.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast