Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cookware and utensils

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pushpa, I have used farberware stainless steel saucepans and they are good. Haven't tried any other.
    Kz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    What vessel do y ' ll use for boiling milk. I want to buy one here can anyone help me

thanks

Priya

Post Thanks / Like
    hello all
    wondering if boiling milk in ceramic bowl is ok...........( i mean in microwave)
    kritica

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kritica, you can try the lodge cast iron round griddle I have this one and the dosas are very nice, when I use this one. They also have a preseasoned one.

Rajshank, I have no clue about the carbon metal one, but nonstick cookware is harmful in many ways. The teflon coating that they use, is carcinogenic (cance)r causing. Just type 'nonstick cookware carcinogenic' in google and it will lead to you good explanations.

Pushpa, I too would like to upgrade my stainless steel set, the one we have now(a mirro set) was bought by my husband for temporary use. I just continued to use it, to give it the usage it deserved. I think we'll be ready for an upgrade soon. I've been doing some research and found these. Posting here so it might be helpful for others.

- Stainless steel cookware should have a heavy base.
    - Multiple ply utensils are great, but filthy expensive. All-clad and their cousins (westbend, kitchencraft etc) are wonderful to have, but similar multiple ply stainless steel cookware can be found in Sams club - Look for Member's Mark TriClad cookware at Sam's club. Costco might have a similar brand too.

Priya, you can use any thick bottomed stainless utensil for boiling milk.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

hope someone can help me.

Having some problems with my hawkins pressure cooker (bought from India) - whenever I use it (especially cooking dhal) water seeps out of the lid after the whistle blows. I always make sure the lid is properly closed but no avail. Any tips?

BTW is pressure cookers cast iron type? How many types (if any) are there anyway?

thanks in advance!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tastemakers
    What vessel do y ' ll use for boiling milk. I want to buy one here can anyone help me
    I guess any stainless steel pan is good enough for boiling milk... Wondering if U guys use a seperate pan for boiling milk???!!!... I just have 3 stainless steel vessels(diff sizes-1 ltr,2 or 2.5 ltr & another around 4 ltr),a cooker, a non-stick pan(very rarely used) & a iron tawa for all my stove-top cooking... I don't use a seperate pan for boiling milk... any vessel that's free in the kitchen is used... Never had any problems like the milk spliting etc... I sometimes heat up the milk in the microwave too... any microwave safe bowl is good...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any stainless pan with a heavy bottom will do. But Dev, I don't know why, I do keep a separate saucepan for boiling milk. Back in India, my mom uses a milk cooker for boiling milk, in which we don't have to stir the milk while cooking and it whistles when it is ready. If you haven't heard about it, this is what I am talking about: http://www.sakthifoundation.org/fast...en-intro-3.htm (Scroll down the page for the image)
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakthi
    Hi,

hope someone can help me.

Having some problems with my hawkins pressure cooker (bought from India) - whenever I use it (especially cooking dhal) water seeps out of the lid after the whistle blows. I always make sure the lid is properly closed but no avail. Any tips?

BTW is pressure cookers cast iron type? How many types (if any) are there anyway?

thanks in advance!
    Shakthi,

I recently bought a pressure cooker from this website: http://www.hotdishes.com/pressure_cooker.htm
    I think that page pretty much covers the different types of Indian style pressure cookers available. Hope that helps.

Regarding your problem with water coming out of the cooker while cooking dal, 1) you might be using too much water. 2) your gasket maybe loose. How big is your cooker?
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPepper
    Any stainless pan with a heavy bottom will do. But Dev, I don't know why, I do keep a separate saucepan for boiling milk. Back in India, my mom uses a milk cooker for boiling milk, in which we don't have to stir the milk while cooking and it whistles when it is ready. If you haven't heard about it, this is what I am talking about: http://www.sakthifoundation.org/fast...en-intro-3.htm (Scroll down the page for the image)
    My mom too uses the milk cooker. But I didn't want to buy a seperate vessel for boiling milk as I don't like loading my kitchen with much utensils and we rarely live in a place for more than 2 yrs. So, I just buy decent enough cookware that'll last for an yr or 2. If atall we stay for more than 2 yrs, I can always buy a new set...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do u use to grate/shred carrot and beetroot? The old tye box grater is too tedious and slow.
    Kz

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast