Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cookware and utensils

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kz
    Redpepper, Which brand stainless steel pots do u have? I am looking for heavy bottomed one for boiling milk. Which size cast iron skillet do u use often and for what type of cooking? I saw a cast iron wok which looks pretty but for what can i use it other than deep frying? As most of our cooking contains tomato and tamarind in it. I have thrown away one nonstick pan, 2 more to get rid off. I am confused which size cast iron skillet to buy first.

One way to season the iron pan is to rub oil and keep it in the pre heated oven inverted until it gets hot and let it cool in the oven itself. but i guess deep frying is a easy way. other advantage is we can use cast iron pan in oven too to bake chicken or fish.
    Visited ur blogspot, it is very nice. I too tried that marble cake and love it.
    Kz
    I have some stainless steel cookware from linens ‘n things – their brand. Also I have a couple of Martha Stewart Everyday brand stainless steel pots and skillets that I bought from K-mart- the big skillet is very heavy. All my pots and pans have thick bottoms. That’s what you should look for when you buy stainless steel pots.
    I have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes and a tawa/griddle – all Lodge brand. (http://www.lodgemfg.com) These are very good. Griswold and Wagner are other famous brands you could consider.
    My wok is Bodum brand; I couldn’t find a wok of this kind in any stores so I bought it from Ebay. (http://www.bodum.com/upload/img/K0817_01_a.jpg)
    It came with a burner, but I don't use it.
    If you are confused of what size skillet you should buy, I suggest that you buy a set of 2 and experiment with it. Cast iron pans are cheap. Other than deep frying, you may also use your wok for stir-frying, shallow frying or poriyals, or make curries. I use mine in the oven as well, especially for making cornbreads.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kavikuil, 36$ including shipping is a steal for all those skillets and pots. Thanks a lot. The griddle looks great for making dosas.

Thankyou Redpepper.

Kz

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

copper bottomed vessels

Hi All
    Just thought will get your opinion since the discussion here is revolving around stainless steel pots
    BTW how effective/safe are copper bottomed stainless steel vessels?I use them and my understanding is
    cooking is faster & the heat is retained for a longer time.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Regards
    Sowmya

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sowmya, when i heat oil for seasoning it gets heated fast in copper bottom kadai than the nonstick skillet. I have a copper bottom thaalikira karandi which is good. copper bottom stainless steel pots are safe to use. But heat is retained for a longer time in iron pots when kept closed with a lid.
    Kz

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sowmya, copper bottom vessels get heated very quickly and the heat is retained for a long time, but make sure you have top quality copper bottoms. There are many low quality stuff available in the market, which have several hotspots in the cooking area. This will lead to uneven heat in the cooking surface and the food will tend to burn in those hotspots.

I had two of those not-so-good-grade copper bottoms, which had to br thrown away.

Like any stainless steel, look for thick and slightly heavy bottom in copper bottom vessels too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    Wanted to buy a cast iron dosa kal....... could you help me pick one.......... was wondering what is the seasoning all about........can anyone explain about it.....
    thanks
    kritica

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kritica
    Hi all,
    Wanted to buy a cast iron dosa kal....... could you help me pick one.......... was wondering what is the seasoning all about........can anyone explain about it.....
    thanks
    kritica
    If you buy a raw cast iron pan, you need to season it so that you will get a beautiful non-stick surface. The process includes rubbing oil all over the pan and keep in a 300 degree oven for about an hour. But if you can find a pre-seasoned cast iron pan, you can avoid this step. I have one like this:
    https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3941
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

U know what? I always had a cast iron skillet (Lodge) that my husband bought when he was a bachelor. I never used it since it was all rusted when i married him & came in. Wonder what he used it for?

After reading this post, i realised what i had wasted in the storage. I immediately took it out and washed it in hot soapy water and luckily all the rust came off...i wiped it dry and generously applied oil and put in the oven at 300 for an hour.

I see there are a lot of people who know lots about cast iron...so let me get my questions answered...I am currently using all nonstick pots n pans and even tava. What is the advantage of using Cast iron over nonstick? And i recently bought a 14" Chinese Wok (we love making chinese & Thai food on the Wok) Brand is Pro-weight. It says it is "Traditional Carbon Steel". Now what is this new metal?? How good is using this one?

Hope to get an answer soon...
    Rajshank
    "True friendship is like sound health;
    the value of it is seldom known until it be lost"

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber Pushpa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody tried the stainless steel vessels from Ikea ?? What is the plus / minus of their range ?

Any other good brand of steel vessels ?
    Don't 'darofy' , simply 'karofy' ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Redpepper
    thanks for the info... i wouldl ike to try ......

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast