View Poll Results: For Europeans Gandhi is the greatest Son of India. What about you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Greatest

8 72.73%
  • Who was Gandhi?

3 27.27%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mahathma Gandhi and India Today

Senior Member Senior Hubber goodsense's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

I had listed some of these in old hub as Ghandiji's principles, but could not remember all of them or where I got them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    O, I remember now. They are written on an old wooden placard I had on my wall some 14 to 15 years ago or even a few more than that and I think I have it packed away somewhere

Any refererence as to where I can find them or any info as to how they evolved?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gandhi’s belief system and their relation to his actions.

Whilst a Hindu, his wide-ranging interests and learning gave him knowledge and an eclectic assimilation of other faiths. He was a "learner" and an experimenter in almost every aspect of his activities, and throughout his life.

His beliefs where central to everything he did. He saw love in Christianity, a direct relationship with one’s God in Islam, and the unity of life in Hinduism. Religion for Gandhi was what one did, not what one believed. Action was everything.

Western doctrine talks of either mind/body, or mind/body/soul, and then adds the mind distinction of the ego and the id. Gandhi however believed in a more complex, multiple layer theory of the human being based on classic Hinduism with his own additions or modifications. Some of Gandhi’s writings are inconsistent with others, but that reflects his learning over time rather intellectual immaturity.

Gandhi saw a four part whole making humanity.

First, there is the body, in the classic Cartesian sense. This splits into two parts - the physical aspects of the body, and then the senses by which we communicate with our surroundings.

Second, there is mind (or "Manas"). As many other thinkers do, Gandhi distinguished between consciousness ("Chetana") and intelligence ("Buddhi").

Third, there in the Spirit (or "Attman"). It is the universal principle or force within us all, and which connects us to the Universe.

This is critical to understanding of Gandhi’s "Satyagraha", as that was designed to rekindle the true spiritual self in all of us. In "Swaraj" he did not just want the independence of India – he wanted the independence of each one of us, in a spiritual rebirth. Going further, Gandhi believed that the Attman within each of us allows us all to have the "charismatic" effect needed to lead others – because it connects everything to everything else.

Fourth, there is the psychological or moral disposition that we all have, which uniquely belongs to each individual (the "Swabhava"). He believed that this was more a product of rebirth and "Karma" than learned characteristics. This is because God in his view is not a person, but is Truth. Thus, by discovering one’s own true dispositions, one reaches one’s own unique spiritual destination (or "Moksha"). Again, spiritual renewal is to Gandhi the key to personal freedom.

Post Thanks / Like
    " Religion for Gandhi was what one did, not what one believed. Action was everything. "

Excellent! I was trying to say this in my own way, but it was a struggle :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Ronnie,

As a sub topic in this thread of yours, you stated " For Europeans Gandhi is the greatest Son of India. What about you?".

While you are at the moment focusing on specific questions relating to "Mahathma Gandhi and India Today", I have an additional question - i.e. what have European done to show they respect Ghandi? We know that Ghandi's principles are contrary to those of Europeans reflected in what they practiced. By Europeans, I mean the English, Dutch, French, Spanish (the left hand of the British) and Portuguese.

As we know, belief for Ghandi means nothing, it is "action" that means everything. Since the actions of Europeans directly affected the actions of Mahatma Ghandi, don't you not think by answering this "additional" question, answers will be found to your question around "Mahatma Ghandi and India Today"?

Or is it for Europeans it is just good enough to say they respected Ghandji because his principles were contrary to theirs and Ghandiji was able to demonstrate that so well? Hih They said so because its the CHEAPEST way of showing appreciation, otherwsie why did they even bothered This is why I think my question is an important and relevant one. Look forward to your response

Post Thanks / Like
    To be more precise or to rap it up, I guess my question is whether European would repeat their old practices based on principles contrary to those of Ghandiji if they get the opportunity. Secondly, what have they been doing since to present day to procure such old practices or to what extent they are conducting old practices in "restoring" India in showing that they truly respect Mahatma Ghandi?

India's independence came 56 years ago, and so was the independence of many British colonies in between that period and only the other day, Aparthied was abolished, all of which came with "great struggles". The UK is labelled in the European Court of Human Rights, Strasbourg, as the number one violater of Human Rights. You would also be aware of the riots in France the other day by minorities (non-white people) who were fed up of being kept down and not getting jobs. If you have been around on this hub itself for a little while now, you might be able to answer some of these questions. So tell us about this "respect" you are talking about

As far as I can see it, its their dream to return to the old way and they are very "active" out there working towards this Goal. I hope I helped shedding some light on "Mahatma Ghandi and India Today"......

I hope you include these in your final research paper due in March May I have a read of it too please when you are done? .

Post Thanks / Like
    Duplicate deleted.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gandhijis values

Swaraj - Independence for India, and personal spiritual renewal of all Indians. Gandhi’s goal was none other than the complete transformation of India and its people.

Satyagraha - truth, love and non-violence.

non-violence
    Satyagraha is more than just civil disobedience, as in Gandhi’s view passive resistance could easily change into active resistance, and thus violence. Rather, in his conceptualization, respect for the other party was central, and all kinds of violence were forbidden absolutely. Satyagraha was not just a political method but a moral statement about how to act politically. Unless events were conducted the right way, he would rather not act, and he often called off protests or other actions as a result. Vegetarian was more than a "health" issue. It was a question of morality

Truth
    was also connected to humility, cleanliness, celibacy and poverty. It was connected to unity (of religions and beliefs), and to the goodness of humanity. He always believed that people were intrinsically capable of good

Swadeshi - the manufacture and use of indigenous products. He believed in industry and in self reliance. He was skeptical of Modern society, and especially of the breakup of the rural communities as people migrated to industrial cities. Gandhi believed that natural methods were the best way to keep one healthy.

Indias Values today

Swaraj - Independent as a nation but still chained by our ego, needs, supertitious, religions, language and what not

Unity - Forget religious unity we have not missed any excuse to divide and be divided, be it religion, caste, language, economics, politics, morality

Non-violence - Gandhijis non-violence, born out of bravery, has been replaced by Indians non-violence, born out of cowardice.

Respect for the other party - For that first one should have self respect. Today Indians oppose anything that is not theirs and don't care for merit of the case and hence the question of respect for the other party doesn't arise

Swadeshi - In the age of consumerism and Globalization Swadeshi is restricted to the run down Ghadi store.

Truth - I am out of words for this one

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    Today Indians oppose anything that is not theirs and don't care for merit of the case and hence the question of respect for the other party doesn't arise
    Acutally i think Indians today realised tat this not rite, so to equalize/balance it, they've begun to oppose nething tat IS theirs too! Esp. our long-standing culture/values/spiritual consciousness (which Indians claimed to be so proud of all along!)

Swadeshi - In the age of consumerism and Globalization Swadeshi is restricted to the run down Ghadi store.
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like
    So Lambretta, it seems like you are saying by today Indians opposing anything that is not theirs realizing its not right "is to" oppose what is theirs ...

Correct me if I am wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast