View Poll Results: For Europeans Gandhi is the greatest Son of India. What about you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Greatest

8 72.73%
  • Who was Gandhi?

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahathma Gandhi and India Today

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gandhiji should be accounted for what he ended up being and not what he started up with.

Like any human being Gandhiji's beliefs developed through his life experiences. As we know his political activism started in SA and one cannot expect perfection from that very moment, because he was human not God. He learned from mistakes and corrected and thats what counts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajraj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    Gandhiji should be accounted for what he ended up being and not what he started up with.

Like any human being Gandhiji's beliefs developed through his life experiences. As we know his political activism started in SA and one cannot expect perfection from that very moment, because he was human not God. He learned from mistakes and corrected and thats what counts.

Good Sandeep! That is why they say don't try to find out 'rishi moolam and nadhi moolam'. Even Valmiki was thought to be a decoit before he wrote Ramayanam.
    " I think there is a world market for may be five computers". IBM Chairman Thomas Watson in 1943.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goal 2) A village based economy

Today - A have a city driven, city based economy

Explanation - City based economy sure increased India's GDP and employment prospects but left the majority without tools to utilize this growth. While village economy was reduced to 30% of GDP, 2/3rd humans still depended on it.

To add to this the bad infrastructure development made villages and cities mutually unaccessible. This ment cities had to cope with over crowding, infratructure breakdown, increased crime and a lot of lost soles, while villages had to suffer illitracy and social backwardness.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sandeep,
    kudos to ur 2 points on Gandhiji's goals!
    Ur 2nd point reg. village driven goals esp. is much worth reflecting on!
    Wat u mentioned abt city drievn/city based economy proved true particularly in case of AP where the previous CM had focussed quite a lot on technological development in urban areas (namely Hyderabad), viz. IT/MNCs but in the process tended to neglect village industries/agriculture (mainly resulting in farmers' suicides) & overall rural development!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear moderators,
    please do the modifications I have asked for!
    Thanks.

Few but good views I am getting, please continue. I was a little bit astonished when I searched for Gandhi here on the hub. There was not a single thread remembering him.

Senior Member Senior Hubber goodsense's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    >>There was not a single thread remembering him.<<

For many of us, he is remembered in our hearts where he lives. If You come to the famous Vishnu Mandir in Richmond Hill, Ontario, you will see a big bronze statute of him. You bet on every occassion such as his birthday, India's independence day etc., he is garland and sang to by us. The famous Bhagan "Hay Andhan Ki Maharani " is often sang. The Maharani (Katurba his wife who suffered too) is remembered just as well as the Maharaja here. For Hindus, like on Diwali, would also make similar tributes to mother Latchmi - also a symbol of lights.

As the head of that temple said "when ever we enter the entrance of this premise, we should feel proud".

I don't know how such celebrations are done in India.

At one time the Conservative government here wanted the statute removed, but didn't find it so easy. The Liberals are great supporters and they even come to ceremonies at the temple from time to time.

You will find links that show that only Hinduism could have given birth to such a soul. Other links reveal that Ghandiji respected "behaviour" more so than "achievement" and given his other principles, you can figure out how he would have reacted to present day circumstances (some of which you have listed), or how contrary or congruent they are to what he would have expected.

Hope this helps too, to answer your questions.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gandhi is seen by the majority as the father of Indian nation, but it's ironic...

Sure he was a Great Atman, preacher of non-violence, but unfortunately it's was his weakness.

Gandhi must better be seen most as a great humanist than a great politician.

Who is the man who offered to the Muslims what they wanted when they represented only about 11 % of Indian population ??

I'm sure without Congress party India will be greater and stronger now.

This party SOLD (and continue to sell) the country to englismen, most of those englished Indian politicans are their coolies ! They work against the benefit of the population !

They are corrupted and work for their benefits, or for western interest.

Without Congress ,no partition of India in one Hindu country (where every religions can live peacefully) and two islamic theocracies (where Islam is the only state religion)..

Congress = Anti-Hindu = Anti-Indian...

Since more than 50 years, this party play with the generation named "Gandhi" to keep the power ... They are power eaters !

It's false too think that Mahatma Gandhi is the father of Indian nationalism, many before him tried to launch a revolution against Britishes, even an armed struggle what Gandhi didn't choiced prefering fight with his practise of non-violence.
    In reality as history showed, his humanism failed to make India free without partition..
    In this case i too think as Sri Aurobindo that an armed struggle against Britishes must have be better for Indian's interest !!

Britishes made everything to leave the country in the mess..
    They forced the partition which was hailed by the fundementalist anti-Indu Indian muslims !!

Politic of Congress is the politic of their master Britishes.
    It's a paradox to see how many dumbed Indians continue to support this party.

goodsense,

Are you sure that Gandhi really understood the message of Bhagava gitai ?

Sandeep,

he was human not God
    What is your point of view about God ?

Don't you think that everthing is a part of God ?
    Don't you know that God is in you ?
    Admire God through your life.

The creator is the creation himself..

http://vedamu.org/Mathematics/vedicmathematics.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    "Sure he was a Great Atman, preacher of non-violence, but unfortunately it's was his weakness."

"It's false too think that Mahatma Gandhi is the father of Indian nationalism, many before him tried to launch a revolution against Britishes, even an armed struggle what Gandhi didn't choiced prefering fight with his practise of non-violence."

Do you mean weaness by no choice? The second statement shows he had a choice and other findings show how he came to that choice.

"Are you sure that Gandhi really understood the message of Bhagava gitai ?"

I have for a long time been reading up on Ghandi's life. What I found is that he had a great undersanding of Hinduism and what is expected of him as a Hindu and closely followed that religion as a main guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ref: to your question:

1. ... no religion, but Hinduism, could have given birth to Gandhi. ... JK Local Press 19-6-96: Vaidya Vishnu Dutt, Pradesh ... Article 370 is there in the statute book

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Gandhi :

a)In this one you will see the terms "satyagraha" as it relates to Non-Violence. Click on it and you will find some explanations which you can research further.

b)"Gandhi often stated that his principles were simple and drawn from traditional Hindu beliefs: truth (satya) and nonviolence (ahimsa). He said, "I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and nonviolence are as old as the hills."

c) Under religion:- "Hinduism as I know it entirely satisfies my soul, fills my whole being ... When doubts haunt me, when disappointments stare me in the face, and when I see not one ray of light on the horizon, I turn to the Bhagavad Gita, and find a verse to comfort me; and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming sorrow. My life has been full of tragedies and if they have not left any visible and indelible effect on me, I owe it to the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita".

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Seven Sins according to Gandhiji:

1. Wealth without work

2. Pleasure without conscience

3. Knowledge without character

4. Commerce without morality

5. Science without humanity

6. Worship without sacrifice

7. Politics without principle

And every one of these widely exists today in our society!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast