Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: cookware and utensils

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

cookware and utensils

What kind of pots and pans do u all use and which brand do u like the best. Any one using cast iron pans? I am trying to replace some of my non stick skillets with iron pans. Has anyone tried hard anodised calphalon brand? Are they worth putting in so much $ into it?

Thanks
    Kz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm moving away from nonstick pans due to their carcinogenic nature.

I use high grade stainless steel utensils and cast iron pans that I bought from Amazon.com. The cast iron pans and griddle were made by Lodge, a good company. You can season these pans easily or even buy pre-seasoned ones. I'me very happy with my cast iron cookware.

You can make excellent podis/masalas using these pans and the flavor is just awesome. Kadai chicken or chicken varuval comes out great, so does chicken curry. I even got a tiny cast iron pan for doing tadka/thalippu and it's wonderful. Washing these are very easy - just use hotwater and a stiff brush.

PulikulambusRasams are the only dishes I dont make, using the cast iron pans. Anything that uses tamarind doesnt go into my cast iron pans.

The other utensil I use is a stainless steel pressure cooker.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    also wantd to say, cast iron pans are naturally nonstick, but it takes some time to achieve this non stick nature. Until then you are better off using little oil everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou Kavikuil. How heavy are they?
    I tried to order in amazon.com but they were out of stock. takes 2 or 3 months i guess. I haven't seen the lodge cast iron pans in stores. Have u tried lodge dutch oven? I got to replace my nonstick pan which i use for chapathi too.
    Yes pressure cooker is a must. I saw some iron kadai too in chinese markets but donno how good they are. what do use to make kolambu and rasams?

Thankyou.
    Kz

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, stainless steel & cast iron utensils are the best & safest for cooking... Good cast iron utensils will last a lifetime & they are very easy to clean as well... The only concern is the weight...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another cast iron and stainless steel lover here!
    I have 4 cast iron skillets of various sizes, one tava, and one wok. All my cast iron cookwares are very well seasoned except one skillet which needs some more seasoning. I am working on it.
    The weight of cast iron pans has never bothered me. I wash them as soon as I finish cooking while it is still warm. I use a plastic scrubber with warm water to clean the surface. I don’t use soap, but if I have to use soap I will give a quick clean with mild soap. Soap will spoil the seasoning so you may need to season the pan again. Deep frying something is one way to re-season them. Also after you wash a cast iron pan, wipe it dry with a cloth or paper towel otherwise they will rust.
    Taking care of cast iron seems to be a tedious job, but once when you get the hang of it its all very easy.
    All my other pots and pans are stainless steel with a heavy bottom. By big stainless steel frying pan is heavier than my cast iron pans!! because it has a very heavy bottom.
    You can cook rasam in stainless steel. But when you cook something that has tomato, tamarind etc. in it, transfer it to a glass storage container or corningware as soon as you finish cooking.
    I got rid of my only one nonstick pan last year. I haven’t used it a lot, but if it hangs there I will have the tendency to use it once in a while. I am happy that I don’t have it anymore.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Redpepper, Which brand stainless steel pots do u have? I am looking for heavy bottomed one for boiling milk. Which size cast iron skillet do u use often and for what type of cooking? I saw a cast iron wok which looks pretty but for what can i use it other than deep frying? As most of our cooking contains tomato and tamarind in it. I have thrown away one nonstick pan, 2 more to get rid off. I am confused which size cast iron skillet to buy first.

One way to season the iron pan is to rub oil and keep it in the pre heated oven inverted until it gets hot and let it cool in the oven itself. but i guess deep frying is a easy way. other advantage is we can use cast iron pan in oven too to bake chicken or fish.
    Visited ur blogspot, it is very nice. I too tried that marble cake and love it.
    Kz

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kz,

My mom uses cast iron pan for all her cooking regardless of using tamarind, tomato etc... I don't think it's much of a concern...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, May be i should give it a try, but i dont want to spoil the pan, I have already burnt one pot, my darling hubby scrubbed my non stick pan very cleanly,LOL. and now he says he wont do the dishes huh!
    Kz

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kz
    Thankyou Kavikuil. How heavy are they?
    I tried to order in amazon.com but they were out of stock. takes 2 or 3 months i guess. I haven't seen the lodge cast iron pans in stores. Have u tried lodge dutch oven? I got to replace my nonstick pan which i use for chapathi too.
    Yes pressure cooker is a must. I saw some iron kadai too in chinese markets but donno how good they are. what do use to make kolambu and rasams?

Thankyou.
    Kz
    Kz, I have the Lodge 3 Qt size chicken fryer (which comes with the lid), a 10 1/4 " skillet (the lid for the chicken fryer fits this one), a 10 1/4 " griddle and a 6 1/4" inch skillet. I got all of these for a whopping $36.36 (including shipping!) There was a sale going on at the time. And I've never been more happier. Keep looking in Amazon, you'll find these stuff for a great price. The Chicken fryer was basically a 3Qt skillet with a lid.

Yes, I've seen Lodge cookware in the cookware stores in the Malls too. Only the price was hiked up thrice or four times!

I use the smallest skillet for seasoning/thalippu; sometimes to saute ginger garlic before making the paste. The chicken fryer and the 10 1/4" skillet - for making side dishes out of vegetables, poriyals, etc. Carrot poriyal is esp very tasty when made in cast iron pan and it cooks really fast. I also use these pans for deep frying. Chicken curries are delicious. And I've made parathas using the skillet and they came out very nice. Also, The pan doesnt move/shake because of its heavy weight and I find it very comfortable while making murukkus. The 10 1/4" griddle is used for making dosas. And they come really well. Chapathis are made on a iron griddle with wooden handle, I got from North India. I think, it is wrought iron. I'm not sure though. It's a very thin griddle.

I also have a set of stainless steel vessels (3 items, I think made by Mirro 18/10 grade SS). For rasams/kulambus, I use a 2 Qt sauce pan or a 5 Qt stock pot, if I'm making large quantity. Fish curries are made in the 5 Qt. pot. Sometimes I use the pressure cooker bottom to make sambar/rajma curries/etc as well. I also have a 1 Qt sauce pan that came with this set, that I use to make less quantities of rasam or sometimes, to make tea.

These are the only stove top cookware I use. And right now, these 9 items are more than what I need to cook a decent meal. I also have a Futura pressure cooker but I havent felt the need for using it so far. I dont think I will be buying more cookware in the near future because cast iron stuff last lifelong and stainless cookware comes for a long time too.

I usually can't handle heavy stuff, and I too, worried about the heaviness of the cast iron pans. I now see that I can handle these items with ease. But had I ordered a 5 Qt Chicken fryer or a dutch oven, it would have been difficult for me to handle.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast