Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: History of Indian Mathematics

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    SRS Wrote: Although Vedic mathematicians are known primarily for their computational genius in arithmetic and algebra, the basis and inspiration for the whole of Indian mathematics is geometry. Evidence of geometrical drawing instruments from as early as 2500 B.C.E. has been found in the Indus Valley

Who said that Indus valley is vedic ? if the indus people knew such things then it is highly likely that the vedics borowed and collated those ideas from the natives.

SRS wrote: The first rather cryptic formula is best understood by way of a simple example: let us multiply 6 by 8. ..............

Hey your method does not work for x X y when x + y =10/100/100, it goes through an infinite spiral. And it does not simplify anything it keeps the complexity the same, multiplication of 2 single/double/.. numbers remains the same after the step one. Neverthless I have seen some other more elegant techniques for multiplying large numbers, not sure if they are vedic or native Indian.

Regarding the Zero we have to give it to the desis, in general and not necessarily to the vedics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS
    The point of the pi calculation is not to make bicycle wheels. pi/10 gives the same value as pi to 32 decimal places. Pi is an "irrational" number; some type of numerical technique is needed to approximate its value. These days, of course, the approximation is done using a computer. It is amazing that a simple mantra can do exactly what a computer does, yielding the exact same result:
    It has a self-contained master-key for extending the evaluation to any number of decimal places.
    Who said that I wanted to produce bicycle wheels? Did the vedic mathematicians invent bicycle with the pi-mantra?

Quote Originally Posted by Vedic Star
    ka, ta, pa, and ya all denote 1;
    kha, tha, pha, and ra all represent 2;
    ga, da, ba, and la all stand for 3;
    Gha, dha, bha, and va all represent 4;
    gna, na, ma, and sa all represent 5;
    ca, ta, and sa all stand for 6;
    cha, tha, and sa all denote 7;
    ja, da, and ha all represent 8;
    jha and dha stand for 9; and
    ka means zero.
    Vedic Star,
    unlike you I spent a bit time in decoding the pi-mantra you have provided and located some errors there. So I analyzed your decoding table and coloured the mismatch.
    Can you clarify the mismatch to the hubbers? Will you ever refrain from copy and paste, you clown?

AS I have to assume that your vedic brain does not understand the mismatch, I better explain further:
    According to you
    ka can be 0 and 1
    ta can be 1 and 6
    tha can be 2 and 7
    da can be 3 and 8
    sa can be 5, 6, and 7

Why can't you apply all numbers to all consonants and say PaPa x MaMa is Star! ==> 00x00=*! ==> 0 (read Zero)

No one wonders why you were not educated in India. Anyway, copy and paste you have learned very well but nothing else!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahadevan
    SRS Wrote: Although Vedic mathematicians are known primarily for their computational genius in arithmetic and algebra, the basis and inspiration for the whole of Indian mathematics is geometry. Evidence of geometrical drawing instruments from as early as 2500 B.C.E. has been found in the Indus Valley

Who said that Indus valley is vedic ? if the indus people knew such things then it is highly likely that the vedics borowed and collated those ideas from the natives.
    Then show me the literature of the so-called "natives" where the same ideas can be found. It seems like you subscribe to AIT, which has been debunked by genetic evidence. Caste system was not imposed on anyone, but native to India itself. Sandeep? has said in another thread that Manu was a South Indian king. So your attempts to separate the "Vedics" from the "natives" leads to nowhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bärlin
    The point of the pi calculation is not to make bicycle wheels. pi/10 gives the same value as pi to 32 decimal places. Pi is an "irrational" number; some type of numerical technique is needed to approximate its value. These days, of course, the approximation is done using a computer. It is amazing that a simple mantra can do exactly what a computer does, yielding the exact same result:
    It has a self-contained master-key for extending the evaluation to any number of decimal places.
    Who said that I wanted to produce bicycle wheels? Did the vedic mathematicians invent bicycle with the pi-mantra?

ka means zero.
    Vedic Star,
    unlike you I spent a bit time in decoding the pi-mantra you have provided and located some errors there. So I analyzed your decoding table and coloured the mismatch.
    Can you clarify the mismatch to the hubbers? Will you ever refrain from copy and paste, you clown?

AS I have to assume that your vedic brain does not understand the mismatch, I better explain further:
    According to you
    ka can be 0 and 1
    ta can be 1 and 6
    tha can be 2 and 7
    da can be 3 and 8
    sa can be 5, 6, and 7

Why can't you apply all numbers to all consonants and say PaPa x MaMa is Star! ==> 00x00=*! ==> 0 (read Zero)

No one wonders why you were not educated in India. Anyway, copy and paste you have learned very well but nothing else!

I am not following your logic. The use of variables to represent numbers is basic to algebra. The difference is that the Vedics were doing this 2000 yrs before Westerners (Greeks did not know of algebra).
    Of course the choice of which variable to represent which number is arbitrary.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ka means zero.
    Vedic Star,

According to you
    ka can be 0 and 1
    ta can be 1 and 6
    tha can be 2 and 7
    da can be 3 and 8
    sa can be 5, 6, and 7

I am not following your logic. The use of variables to represent numbers is basic to algebra. The difference is that the Vedics were doing this 2000 yrs before Westerners (Greeks did not know of algebra).
    Yes, I do understand that you don't understand vedic moron.
    The variables you gave to represent numbers are misleading. For example sa can mean 5 or 6 or 7 at the same time according to you. It is not unique. This means that any time a sequence sasa occurs it can mean 55, 56, 57, 65, 66, 67, 75, 76 or 77! Do you get the point or are you already that much confused by your vedic idealogy?

gala hala rasandara - this is the last line of your pi-mantra. According to my calculator the 32th digit must be 5 but yours is 2, why? what happens to the "n" in rasandara? Should it not be rasa dara? Does it make any sense then? When you translate the pi-mantra consonant by consonant then I may perhaps accept but do it first, vedic master!

Post Thanks / Like

ka means zero.
    Vedic Star,

According to you
    ka can be 0 and 1
    ta can be 1 and 6
    tha can be 2 and 7
    da can be 3 and 8
    sa can be 5, 6, and 7

Yes, I do understand that you don't understand vedic moron.
    The variables you gave to represent numbers are misleading. For example sa can mean 5 or 6 or 7 at the same time according to you. It is not unique. This means that any time a sequence sasa occurs it can mean 55, 56, 57, 65, 66, 67, 75, 76 or 77! Do you get the point or are you already that much confused by your vedic idealogy?

gala hala rasandara - this is the last line of your pi-mantra. According to my calculator the 32th digit must be 5 but yours is 2, why? what happens to the "n" in rasandara? Should it not be rasa dara? Does it make any sense then? When you translate the pi-mantra consonant by consonant then I may perhaps accept but do it first, vedic master!
    What are you trying to say? Double meanings are allowed. The article says very clearly:

For example kapa, tapa, papa, and yapa all mean 11. By a particular choice of consonants and vowels one can compose a poetic hymn with double or triple meanings.

Post Thanks / Like

MATHEMATICS AND SANSKRIT

Friends,

It has been pointed out in various threads, all English number's names are from Sanskrit.

The names of number
    Two from Tuvithiyai
    Three from Thrithiyai; also Tri came from this
    Four- IT is Chathurthi- became Quathur- to Quadra and Square to Four
    Five- Panchami- became PENTA - TO five and Pancha,p gone tamil anju cames
    Six is from SASHTI- became hexta- hexagon and six
    Seven from Septhami- and September in calender means seventh month.
    Eight- From Oshtami- becaME 0CTA- Eight
    Nine - from Navami
    Ten- thasami
    One- Ptatham became PRIME

This expalains origin of MATHEMATICS.
    uPPUMA
    Love India; Love Tamil.
    Love God ; Love Truth

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Summa what do you think about that ?

The Sankrit numbers(2-10) Dwi, Tri, Chatur, Pancha, Shat, Sapta, Ashta, Nava, Dasha

The numbers in other language, there is only some interchangability:

The Hindi numbers: Ek, Do, Tin, Char, Panja, che, sat, aat, nuo, das

The French numbers: Un, Deux, Trois, Quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, dix

The German numbers: eins, zwei, drei, vier, fünf, sechs, sieben, acht, neun, zehn

The Latin numbers: unus, duo, tres, quattuor, quinque, sex, septem, octo, novem

There is a strong common link between Sanskrit and the European languages....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like this topic because i love mathematic..
    There is no other logical language than mathematic..
    If you know well vedic mathematic , you don't need a calculator to do complex oprerations...

For who it may interest, there is a full course in vedic mathematic at this link :

www.vedamu.org

Look an example :

For a fraction of the form in whose denominator 9 is the last digit, we take the case of 1 / 19 as follows:

For 1 / 19, 'previous' of 19 is 1. And one more than of it is 1 + 1 = 2.

Therefore 2 is the multiplier for the conversion. We write the last digit in the numerator as 1 and follow the steps leftwards.

Step. 1 : 1

Step. 2 : 21(multiply 1 by 2, put to left)

Step. 3 : 421(multiply 2 by 2, put to left)

Step. 4 : 8421(multiply 4 by 2, put to left)

Step. 5 : 168421 (multiply 8 by 2 =16, 1 carried over, 6 put to left)

Step. 6 : 1368421 ( 6 X 2 =12,+1 [carry over]

= 13, 1 carried over, 3 put to left )

Step. 7 : 7368421 ( 3 X 2, = 6 +1 [Carryover]

= 7, put to left)

Step. 8 : 147368421 (as in the same process)

Step. 9 : 947368421 ( Do – continue to step 18)

Step. 10 : 18947368421

Step. 11 : 178947368421

Step. 12 : 1578947368421

Step. 13 : 11578947368421

Step. 14 : 31578947368421

Step. 15 : 631578947368421

Step. 16 : 12631578947368421

Step. 17 : 52631578947368421

Step. 18 : 1052631578947368421

Now from step 18 onwards the same numbers and order towards left continue.

Thus 1 / 19 = 0.052631578947368421

Beautiful !!!!! There is no other word to describe this genious operation !!!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uppuma
    English belongs to Indo European group of languages, the same group that prakrits belong to and sanskrit came from prakrit and tamil. So it would surprising only if sanskrit numbers did not resemble english.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ka can be 0 and 1
    ta can be 1 and 6
    tha can be 2 and 7
    da can be 3 and 8
    sa can be 5, 6, and 7
    What are you trying to say? Double meanings are allowed. The article says very clearly:

For example kapa, tapa, papa, and yapa all mean 11. By a particular choice of consonants and vowels one can compose a poetic hymn with double or triple meanings. [/quote]

SRS>kapa, tapa, papa, and yapa all mean 11
    yes, but Bärlin says something different

rasandara - 2792 ought to be the last 4 digits of the 32 digits you gave and rasandara represents.

But as Bärlin explains that "rasandra" represents 2592, 2692 and 2792. This simply means that rasandra can be any of these 4 numbers. If nobody knows that this mantra is pi-mantra then it simply means nothing. Something of no value. In other words 2592, 2692 and 2792 all deliver rasandra but only 2792 are the last 4 digits of the pi/10 you have givven above.

So this is just misleading and confusing. That is why you are not understanding anything!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast