Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangalore as Bengaluru

Post Thanks / Like

Bangalore as Bengaluru

Hi Friends,

The Govt of karnataka following footsteps of other Indian states has decided to officially rename the IT capital Bangalore as 'Bengaluru'.
    The process of renaming strarted from Trivandrum to Tiruananthapuram, Calcutta to Kolkotta, Bombay to Mumbai, Madras to Chennai and now its Bangalore's turn.

What is the advantage like this renaming of cities??? There is no change of name as for as the local guys are concerned who used to call it with the same name, its only for the people other than the locals.

The European cities which have their native name as well as an English name don't think of renaming the english name with their local one, examples being 'Rome and Roma', 'Munich and Munchen', 'Paris and Parie' etc, why do we are behind such renaming??? does it really help or is just a showoff with not much value...

Please send back your comments on this...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's is a good move! Thindivanam - should now be called - puLiyankAdu --- the old name!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Idiayappam,

Thindivanam to puLiyankAdu is not the same what I'am talking about. You are talking about renaming the name of a place itself. This means a change in Tamil newspapers, books etc.. like 'Pieking to Beijing'; The name change what I'am talking about is nothing to do for the localities as they always called this city with this new name, its only for others.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chappani, chennai is being called as chennai even by chennaites now.

They probably feel this is a way of protecting the CULTURE/TRADITION OF THE CONCERNED PLACE

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paris (F) is Paris (GB) - Native as well as english. Only the pronounciatian is different (paRI and paRis)

Muenchen (D) - Munich (GB) will be myUncen and myUnik
    Koeln - Cologne --> keLN and koLOn (4711 Eau de Cologne --> O de koLoN = Water of Cologne)

The ue, oe and y in german are more or less impossible for foreigners. These sounds don't exist in Tamil. For ex. Tamils speak kELiN.

I also won't like string hoppers when idiappam sounds the best

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bangalore as Bengaluru

Quote Originally Posted by Chappani
    The Govt of karnataka following footsteps of other Indian states has decided to officially rename the IT capital Bangalore as 'Bengaluru'..................What is the advantage like this renaming of cities???
    My qsn. wud be wat is the advantage of renaming the cities to their "traditional" names now, in this era when the cities in question hav already lost their original/traditional outlook to the growing influence of cosmopolitanism???
    From wat I've heard, Bangalore has transformed so much in less than a decade, is now more popular for pubs rather than its cultural lifestyle (or gardens) tat it may hav originally been known for........so do they think, by giving it a traditional name (original or otherwise), its going to bring back the lost 'virginity' of tat city's lifestyle??!! Wat difference wud it make now, in the present scenario, whether everyone call it as Bangalore or Bengaluru.....?!
    Or if they wanted to change the name, y didn't they try to all these decades since Independence, atleast even in the '60s/70s when the city was known to be relatively more trad'nal than it is now?!
    My qsn. is same even in case of renaming Bombay, Madras or Calcutta (altho I heard tat's still by & large untransformed, comp'd w/ the others).......its all a big farce!

why do we are behind such renaming??? does it really help or is just a showoff with not much value...
    Afa I can see it doesn't help in ne way afa our renamed cities r concerned......if those politicians who r behind all this think tat this traditional re-christening its going to disguise the cities in qsn. from their present-day reality, they certainly r living in a fools' paradise! The quote in one of Shakespeare's plays "What's in a name......." is aptly suited in this case!

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should be really calling it as 'benda kaaluru' which became ben-galuru and then bangalore..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    benda kaalaru - means folded collars??

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiru
    They should be really calling it as 'benda kaaluru' which became ben-galuru and then bangalore..
    Um...yea, actually I vaguely rem. our tour guide mentioning a similar name when I'd my first (& so far only) visit to B'lore in 1996, w/ my parents.....
    Incidentally, 'wonder wat benda-kaaluru means......was it famous for bendakai (vendakkai)??

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    chk out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore

A popular anecdote, but one contradicted by historical evidence, tells that Hoysala king Veera Ballala, while on a hunting expedition, lost his way in the forest. Tired and hungry, he came across a poor, old woman who served boiled beans. One popular version states, that the grateful king named the place benda kaluru (literally, town of boiled beans), which eventually got corrupted into Bengaluru.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast